Best deodorizer for ostomates?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
britathrt60

Hey Ostomates, hope you are all having a good day.

What kind of bathroom deodorizer do you all use? Is there a special one for us that works well without being too highly scented? I have tried so many different ones and even tried expensive body spray which didn't work... With an Ileostomy, bathroom odor lingers for a long time after emptying, which is quite often whether I eat or not, and I always put the lid down on the toilet and multiple flush. But it still lingers... This is my SOS call... PLEASE HELP.

Ange

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,108 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

lovely

Hi Ange, I use Unstoppable by Free Breeze Simmer. I spray it, cut the fan on, and shut the door. I also like the little electric machine that melts scented wax. You can get all kinds of different odors. I use it in the living room and it can fill the whole room.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Bill

Hello Ange.
I use different deodorants for different things. I have a couple of sprays, which I get from Coloplast, specifically for the irrigation sleeves; I use an Air Wick spray for the toilet and bathroom generally, but I have to get out quickly and shut the door because it makes me cagg.
I fixed up a ventilator fan in the bathroom so that it comes on whenever anyone is in there. I'm not sure if this helps that much, but it does have a psychological effect, in that it 'feels' as if there has been an effort to change the air.
My wife has deodorants all over the house because she is very sensitive to odorous odours and prefers the artificial smells. These are usually Air Wick or Glade, but I have, on occasions been asked to put Jeyes fluid in the drains, which is so powerful that you can smell it all over the house. We’ve also tried joss-sticks and lavender but they are not very effective. Sometimes I find all these smells overpowering but fortunately, I have a cpap machine, that I can put on when it all gets too much. This has a home-made hypoallergenic filter, which extracts particles and eliminates smells. I also insert a few drops of Olbas oil into this machine and that helps to clear the airways.
Sometimes I will use Vicks vapour rub on the top of my chest, which evaporates under the nose and eliminates most other smells at a personal level. I have also bought an industrial sized hypoallergenic air purifier, which I use regularly to extract the pollution from the air before I breathe it in. This also helps eliminate odour.
Just as an aside—when our late Jack Russell used to roll in fox-poo (which is almost impossible to remove by bathing) we used to dowse it in Old-Spice aftershave, which was overpowering and masked the other smell. I couldn’t stand the stuff myself, but people kept buying it as Christmas presents so we had to find a use for it.
I don’t know if any of these things will be of any use to you but I thought I would join in because it is obviously a perennial problem for a lot of people.
Best wishes
Bill

bowsprit

Ventilator fans help, Bill. I have seen them in homes which do not have this problem. I would recommend sprays made in England, mostly made for the Mid-East market. All the perfumes of Arabia concentrated in one can, but they are overpowering. Jack Russells are very expensive here. Some people use them for the cruel sport of fox hunting. Feudals still exist here. My cousin has had them on his lands for many years. They will instinctively head for the fox's lair. The entry hole is easy to get into, but the exit is at an incline and sometimes the Jack Russell does not make it. Cunning like a fox is not said for nothing.

Bill

After my first post, it occured to me that there was one other thing I should have mentioned.

For many years, after moving into our present house, there was a terrible intermittent smell, which would not seem to go away, despite all the normal efforts. Completely separately, my wife wanted a new shower to replace a bath, so, whiole I was tearing things apart, I extended the foul ventpipe from the bathroom into the attick and attched a new pressure valve. From that day to this, we have not suffered from that foul smell.  It makes me think that sometimes we attach the blame for these things to the wrong causes. The moral is, to check all posssible causes before buying the deoderants, which are simply a cover-up solution. 

Best wishes

Bill

PS: Parson Jack Russell dogs (as pets) do not 'have' to kill things anymore than pet cats (or people) do. It is surely down to the owners/and others, as to whether they are allowed the opportunity to kill.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
living4jesus

I use blue odor drops from my supplier. You put a few drops in your bag after dumping and the next time you go there's no odor! It is a godsend!

w30bob

I just crap in the woods. Like bears do. Except from the front.

;o)

Later,

Bob

Puppyluv56

So Bob, you are answering the old proverbial question of "Do bears shit in the woods? Hahaha.

Do yours have a "Charmin Butt"?

lol

Pup

w30bob

Hi Pup,

No, I can't vouch for the bears.............But I can say "Bob shits in the woods". But I never shit in visual sight of a bear.......just doesn't seem like a smart thing to do. And no to Charmin Butt. Well, yes, it's squeaky clean......because I never use it, not because I use Charmin. The only thing my ass is good for now is for sitting on and for making the girls swoon. Hey Pup...........please explain what "swoon" means to Warrior.........I know he's gonna ask.

Y'all have a great day now,

Bob

Tickpol

Poo-Pourri (sp)

Couple of sprays on the water in the toilet and you'll never smell your output.

Dave

warrior

Swoon? (What is this 1950? Go back to the future Mr. Whiffle.) Wear the hat Bob.
You'd have to keep them away with a baseball bat.

"The only thing my ass is good for now"..... dyslexic reads "For now my ass is the only good thing". Honk honk! Guess who.  

bowsprit

The Parson should not have bred hunting ability into them. Now it's part of their DNA and the poor guy is stuck with it forever. Just like some breeds take their guard duties very seriously, learned from guarding the flock. The Jack Russell does not kill the fox, it just makes it bolt from its den, then the others take over and the chase begins. I don't take part in them anymore.

warrior

This is for Ange about the bathroom.

Last time Bob was here we had to evacuate the neighbor, him using the john. Jeepers, the paint was coming off the walls so I know what you mean about the odor. Linger.. gads! I can't breathe thing.. Call the EPA!

Well, the poop pori helps a lot and cleaning the bowl helps a lot and using a "drop in" helps a lot.. they have bleached types and blue types.. yes nothing impresses me more when blue toilet water turning green after peeing. Magic! What a bonus.

The jury is still out using those "plug-ins". I was told they could overheat... become a fire hazard.. and with Bob in the house, BOOM! Forget about it. But then there is house insurance. However, doubt Bob-BOOM is covered.

Oils can be messy if they fall over.. those scented sticks... can leave a nice smell.

Having a fan in the bathroom (ceiling type) goes without saying. We have to put a fan in the window when Bob visits. He poops like a bear.

Enjoy, folks. Warrior

britathrt60

Thanks Bill. I live in an apt. Unfortunately, it doesn't have a fan in the bathroom. There is a window which I do keep open as much as possible. Ange

britathrt60

Bob, you are one crazy dude... lol...

Axl

This works well

https://www.productreview.com.au/listings/nilodor-deodorizer-concentrate

PETey.13

Brava Pouch Deodorizer, Poop-pouri, Lemon Mate. If all else fails, Light a Match! ;-)

w30bob

My turn....

Ok, so what's with all this talk about "odor"? The easiest (and cheapest) solution is to keep a small basket of clothespins by the front door. Whenever anyone comes in the house, direct them to put a clothespin on their nose... and any odor problem is solved. Just make sure they put the clothespin back in the basket before they leave. What? No, it's not rude to ask your visitors to put on a clothespin. And you can buy a whole bag of them at Walmart for just a couple bucks... don't be cheap. Ok, ok... so you don't like that solution? Man, you guys are hard to please. Ok, another option... get a dog. Whenever you need to empty your frontbutt bag, simply excuse yourself and say it's time to walk the dog. Then walk Rover into the woods and dump your bag... alla Bob style. What do you mean you don't have any woods by your place... where do you live? Oh boy... am I dealing with "city folks"? I give up on you stinky people... maybe you can eat a few mints or something...

What else... yeah, Warrior is right... don't let me in your house. Most homeowners insurance policies have a clause or reference in the back (usually letter AJ or AK) that specifically calls me out by name... and you're not covered. And forget those plug-in things. I chew on those when I can't find a weed handy... they're very sweet!

Ok, time to go....

Later,

Bob

britathrt60

Well, okay Bob, you can come to my apartment.... When you need to burp the old gas bag, just go out on my balcony and do it... And I live very close to the woods and lake, so no problem emptying it... There aren't any bears, but the odd coyote may sniff you out.... Hahaha

Cheers!    

Bagface

LOL!

Bagface

Ange- After I make a deposit, I flush, then spray Glade directly into the toilet bowl. Sometimes I'll pour Fabuloso or Pine Sol into the bowl and leave it there.

britathrt60

Thanks, bag face. I will try the Glade into the toilet bowl. Good idea.

Penguins7

Hi Ange,

Have you ever tried the Glade plug-in air freshener in your bathroom? I currently just use a spray, but that might help. I also flush as the bag is dumping too, and that is a big help. Good luck, stay well. Penguins7

britathrt60

Hi Penguins, thanks so much for the advice. Hope you are doing okay. Take care. Ange nbsp

warrior

Howdy.. I heard those plug-ins are a fire hazard, but I liked them. They get really hot.. I guess.. You gotta use a protected outlet to be safe. I did buy a stand-alone type and it worked great.. You had to puncture the back to allow the fragrance out.. I bought a similar one and it was a dud. You can see the liquid in it.. And it does dissolve.... Hmmm hmm.. I think some plug-ins also have a tiny fan built in, no? Nbsp

I resort to spray too when the BIG one comes. Cough cough.. Nbsp

W.

Puppyluv56

Haha Bob,

So the question goes unanswered! Dang! And you haven't even seen the Charmin bear while shifting in the woods? 
Puppy

w30bob

Silly rabbit... nope... we don't have bears in this part of Maryland. But I'll keep a sharp eye out for one... just in case he got lost.

;0)

Bob

Joycrnls

I noticed nothing works as well as a scented Lysol spray! Spray the air heavily after. Seems to work much better than Glade, Febreze, Poo-Pourri...

w30bob

Hi Joy,

Can't say I've ever smelled the scented Lysol spray, but the scent of regular Lysol makes me want to puke. Probably due to an early job in high school working at a restaurant as a bus boy. Cleaning the bathrooms really turned me off to the Lysol smell. But maybe the scented version is better.

Regards,

Bob

Joycrnls

Lol yeah I don't like the regular one but I got a lavender one!! Much more tolerable lol