When you don't hear from people

In this discussion
Replies
Views
lovely

We were talking before about when we did not hear from people for a long time and wondering why. We were saying we needed to let someone have our password so they could let people know if something was wrong. I was looking at some old post and saw some from a man named ;gutenberg and someone had posted he had passed away. This was back in 2014 I guess they don't remove a person from this site. Maybe they think thier post may still be useful or they don't know when someone has passed. It may be too many people for them to keep up with.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,099 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Hi lovely,

Yeah I don't know how they would keep track of that either? Maybe if they monitored us they might send a message to see if that person would message back within X amount of time. If they don't receive any answer, (or maybe a family member would as you say) they can post a list of inactive names. I think you're on to something, good thinking lovely....mtnman.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
w30bob

The easiest way (for them) would be to institute a yearly account update by each of us. They should annually ping the email address we each provided when we signed on and if no response is received they should notify us that our account has been deactivated and will be cancelled within 30 days if we don't update our info. Then if no update occurs the account is cancelled. It would be a bit of work now with all the supposed members to this site.....but it only gets harder as time goes on.

Regards,

Bob

Past Member

I remember gutenberg very well he was a great man, posted the best jokes too, saddly a lot of the regular posters from then that made the group what it was have passed away, group died with them really been very quite since they passed, used be a very active group

bowsprit

Good idea, lovely.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member

Gutenberg (Ed) was one of the first friends I made when I joined this site and one of the handful of people I exchanged ;regular emails with "off-site".

His wife ;made that last post to say he had passed (as she did on facebook too) and I'm glad that ;she didn't remove his account from here (or there) because I find it's a way to remember him as the lovely gentleman he was (and of course I'm "welling up" as I type this but it's all good!)

Even when a member cancels their account their posts still remain as a "past member" anyway (personally have left and re-joined several times).

Agree with panther that the site was quite different back then, not that there is anything wrong with it now, just a lot quieter, which is natural enough I guess as thanks to social media, most of the "forums" I was involved with in the past (not to do with ostomy) no longer exist.

Below is Ed's profile for those who would like to know ;who we are talking about.

https://www.meetanostomate.org/index.php?page=view_profile user_id=2025

lovely

JMC ,I read a lot of his post and there was alot of jokes. The way his wife posted about his passing made me sad and I did not even know him. It does seem more people used to post than they do now.I enjoy this site not only for the helpful advice but just posting with people as I am retired and have more time .

Brianccan

hi lovely,

I didn't no of Ed before today but have spent some time reading his jokes and having some good laughs. He obviously had quite the sense of humor. Thanks for mentioning him and making my day that much better.

Brian