Looking for Comfy Post-Ostomy Pants: Any Suggestions?

Replies
Views
Little Lulu

Ladies, I have been searching for the perfect post-ostomy pants for three years. I don't like anything tight across my stoma, always buy bigger to allow for bag expansion. I'm looking for all-day comfort, but I have not been successful. Right after my ileo, I had some pants from Jjill that worked pretty well. They were a very soft knit with a top kind of like a yoga pant. Alas, I need a larger size now, and the company has changed the style. Have any of you found a brand of nice-looking, really comfy pants? I even tried maternity jeans, as some ladies have recommended, but the proportions were off for me. I can wear most anything for a couple of hours, but I can't find anything that is truly comfy for all day. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Lucy

xnine

Have you looked at overalls? Walmart has some.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,380 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Little Lulu

Thanks, Xnine, but not really what I had in mind. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Regards, Lucy

lovely

Hi, Lucy. I just wear the pants with the elastic band all the way around. They sell them most everywhere. Good luck and stay safe.

Maried

I wear Nic & Zoe pants. I also go up one size.

They have a high waist, nice waistband, stretchy, no zipper. The fabric is rayon, nylon, spandex. For more casual wear, I like XCVI Monte Carlo pants. They are made of cotton and spandex. They are both a little pricey, but I watch for sales and they last a couple of years.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member

I definitely love my yoga pants!

That's all I buy because comfy/easy pull down is key!!

Little Lulu

Thanks, tmn86! I need to try some yoga pants. Sounds like they would be great for casual wear. Any particular brand recommendations?

Lucy

Past Member

Not really - my favorites are from Target. I love yoga shorts too!

Past Member

I agree with tmn86 - yoga pants are my go-to for comfort. I get mine at Costco, and they are reasonably priced. I like to buy dressier pants at Chico's. I find the fit really good, and they tend to be comfortable. You might want to size up if you don't want anything too tight across the stoma though. They also have lots of tops that camouflage bulges from appliances well. We really have to rethink clothing after an ostomy, don't we? Grrrrr!!

Past Member

I have a few from Costco too, they're awesome!

Little Lulu

Thank you, Padfoot and tmn86 for your comments. I will definitely start checking Costco for yoga pants. I have quite a few pairs of pants from Chico's. Some are more comfortable than others. With their unique sizing, sometimes I fall between sizes in their pants. Just going up a half size jumps up too much in the waist. I appreciate your recommendations!

Lucy

Past Member

You might find the Zenergy line at Chico's more comfortable than the other pants they carry. I think they are designed for more active wear.  

Little Lulu

Thanks, Padfoot. I'll check out the Zynergy line!

Lucy

gratefulcancerfree

Lucy, I use Tek Gear Flare yoga pants from Kohl's; good stretch and they don't smoosh my stoma. For summertime, I also wear a cargo-style pant from Sonoma Goods for Life linen blend. They wash great and the style is a looser leg than the yoga pants. I find these also at Kohl's. Like you, I also tried maternity, and found some I love, but as I wear them, the butt area loosens up and they look ridiculous from the back side. :(

Hope this helps you. :)

Deb B

Pharmgirl

I'm sure you're in pants overload by now!

I found NoGA yoga pants from Duluth Trading Post to be the best. I wear them in the office and working around the house. They come in wide leg, boot cut, and slim cut in assorted colors. They are kinda pricey but worth it. I've had the same pairs from 3 years ago and they still look great.

Good luck, clothes are hard to find for us sometimes!

Shar

Hi, I'm from Canada. Do you have a Tan Jay store in the US?

I have a urostomy and I'm short. My bag sits below my belt line and actually ends past my groin. I actually fold the end up a bit. Anyway, I found jeans with a wide elastic waistband that is super comfy and loose enough that my bag cannot be seen.

Yes, I hate things too tight across my stoma as well. As with a urostomy, my bag always has some amount of urine in it.

To change the subject a bit, do you or others find that these plastic bags stick to your skin?

Past Member

Shar, I don't have the problem of them sticking to my skin. I use a Coloplast Sensura Mio appliance, and it feels like a microfiber rather than plastic, although I am sure it is plastic. There is something about the way it is made that makes it feel different than just straight plastic. You might want to give Coloplast a call and see if they can send you samples to see if you like any of their products.  

Laurie

mcoco

I buy ultra high waisted mom jeans from Abercrombie & Finch and Hollister.

Can't wear anything else. I too have an ileostomy.

honeygirl

This is one of the hardest parts of having an ileostomy. Bottoms. I used maternity pants for a while. They gave me security and comfort too. Some nice styles as well. And I suppose you could try on skirts too, but I never did, so I can't really comment.

I now wear leggings. Short ones (capris), long ones, and anything that offers comfort and support. It's a bit of a struggle to find the perfect ones. I was a size 12 or 14 but went up to a size 16 or XL. I also had success in stores that sold plus sizes. Mostly trial and error. And when I did find some, I made sure to buy several pairs.

Hope this helps.

MarVee

Hi Lulu, I understand how uncomfortable slacks can feel depending on the location of your stoma. When I do not need to look "sleek," I wear Old Navy leggings, but I buy them a couple sizes larger. Generally, I wear a medium, but they tug on the stoma, so I wear an XL hanging around the house or even to run errands. I also find that cargo pants (Erika or Kohls) with the comfort waist work nicely, especially in the summer. I would normally wear a petite medium, but would feel more comfortable in a petite large. I hope this helps. Stay safe.

Maria

Cat6

Hi, I recommend Jag Jeans (not just jeans). Stretchy, high-waisted, comfortable. Comes in different styles. I like the Peri straight leg. Good luck.

Mistyanne

Good morning :)

I like Hold Your Haunches, kind of expensive, heavier weight than yoga pants. They have an interior liner, kind of like a slip.

They are meant to be for a slimming look. I just ordered a larger size :)

Newbie Dana

I went the skirt route, because not only do I have the stoma, I also have an enormous peristomal hernia (yes, totally my own fault, but let's not go there!). I use elastic-waisted skirts with a fairly large flare, so everything is more or less hidden, and very comfortable. Being 63, I can wear the longer granny-type skirts, and nobody says anything except to comment on the pretty material. I do have some pants (elastic-waist, larger size, so more gathered), and some camp shorts with the large darts in the front (serving the same purpose) for riding the bike, but I don't generally wear them all day, as they do tend to put back-pressure on the stoma and make it more difficult for the pouch to fill properly. The skirts really work well for daily use.

Little Lulu

Thanks, Deb! This information is very helpful. I will check out Kohl's as soon as they let me try on clothes!

Lucy

Little Lulu

Hi, Pharmgirl! Thanks for your response! I'm getting lots of ideas from all of you ladies! I'll check out Duluth Trading Post! Thanks for your suggestions!

Lucy

Little Lulu

Hi, Shar! Thanks for your response. In answer to your question, I haven't really found that the bag sticks to my skin.  

Lucy

Little Lulu

Hi, mcoco! I've never tried Abercrombie and Fitch or Hollister. I'll check those out! Thanks for your suggestions!

Lucy

Little Lulu

Hi, honey girl! I have gone the leggings route, but find them too tight across my stoma. I also went up to a larger size, but couldn't find the comfort I was looking for. I appreciate your suggestions!
Lucy

Little Lulu

Hi, Maria! Thank you for your response! Yours is the second recommendation for Kohl's, so I'll definitely check those out!

Lucy

Little Lulu

Hi, Cat6! Thanks for your response. I'll check out the Jag Jeans and the Peri Straight Leg. They sound interesting!

Lucy