Looking for Comfy Post-Ostomy Pants: Any Suggestions?

Replies
Views
Little Lulu

Hi, Mistyanne! I have never heard of Hold Your Haunches. They sound interesting! I'll look them up. Thanks for your response!

Lucy

Little Lulu

Hi, newbie Dana! I often wear casual skirts or dresses for the comfort factor. Loose-fitting dresses really give my stoma a break! Thanks for your response.  

Lucy

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,436 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

GrammieRed

Pregnancy pants or jeans might be good, I haven't tried them yet. They expand in the front. :)

Little Lulu

Hi, GrammieRed! I did buy a pair of maternity jeans, but they weren't as great as I had hoped. I like a high waist, but these came WAY up! Thanks for responding! I'm looking into all the styles that were recommended, and I just got one pair in the mail today, so we'll see!

Lulu

Past Member

Let us know what you find. I've always worn jeans & jean shorts (being born/raised in San Diego, California), now it's been a year of yoga pants & leggings.  
Good luck. 
    Tiffany 

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Immarsh

This is for "Shar"....regarding plastic from the pouch, sticking to the skin...  I use Convatec, and they have an extra piece of vented material (plastic) on the underside of the pouch...  They also have an option for both sides to have this "fabric"..  (I only order it one-sided)    I used to hate it because when you shower, it's  just another thing to make sure is dry.  But it doesn't stick to the skin...  In addition,  I've used Absorb Z (antifungal powder) in areas where I tend to get heat rash or irritation.  Under the boobs,  in the creases of my legs, and under the pouch.....AFTER the pouch is adhered, and I've taped the edges...  It has a somewhat medicinal smell,  but I got over worrying about that.  It's better than sweat/perspiration....  Just a suggestion...  as for pants, it's an ongoing struggle for me..  My waist has always been two inches lower than it should be, and even as a kid, my mother was dragging shirt waist dresses (with belts) down from under my arms,  How I hated them, and was thrilled with A-line and princess high-waisted dresses,  But the dreaded pants,  or jeans were impossible.  I started to wear pull-ons (no zipper) and I taught myself how to sew.  So I'd cut off the waistband,  fold the fabric over according to my need,  sew it down, and insert a new or used piece of elastic..I had it down to a science, and between hemming and doing the waist (I'm short and heavy)  it would only take me an hour..  Then I discovered capris,  which come down to my ankle, so I only have to do the waist, if I can find a fit and fabric I like...  When hip huggers were in style,  the lower rise was perfect for my unusual measurements...  But they were here and then they were gone..  So these days, I'm all over the place, and have learned to try on (for size) and then be ready to do alterations.  When I spend the money on "fine" clothes, I have a dressmaker do the alterations...  We're all experts on what fits us best, and then we try to find it... and hope the style stays around for a while.  Best of luck everyone...  Marsha

Lily17

Hi, Lulu! :)

It's been a little while since you had another response to your query about women's pants options. As a new member, I wanted to share my experience:

After my ileostomy surgery in 2017, I wore very full maxi skirts, thinking I'd have to wear them the rest of my life. (Had happily worn colored denim pants to work before this.) In Jan. 2018, I was channel surfing and came across what is now known as shophq.com - like QVC, it's a shopping network. The program was profiling and selling beautiful, floral maxi dresses, nice loose, came with coordinating denim jacket. I bought all four available! Was thrilled with my purchases and comfortable, expanded wardrobe. Still, I was certain I'd be wearing full maxi skirts and loose maxi dresses for my remaining days.

This last May, I turned on ShopHQ on TV, and the channel was showcasing amongst other items...pull-on palazzo pants!!! To say my curiosity was piqued was an understatement. Internet details:

ShopHQ.com

OneWorld Fashions

Search: Palazzo

OneWorld has at least eight (8) different solid colors patterns of palazzo pants with side pockets. Some are sold as sets with coordinating tops. The fabric is a silky-smooth synthetic that is machine-washable, wrinkle-resistant, and drapes beautifully. The waistband is a same-color, broad, elasticized band. Many tops in the OneWorld line are long enough for the hem to fall below the bottom of my standard Hollister ostomy bag - so it's fully "camouflaged". :)

These palazzo pants are super comfortable, are loose and don't press up against my stoma/ostomy bag, and can be dressed up or down. I know all this because I've purchased five (5) pairs of them, and numerous tops from the OneWorld line to coordinate. Absolutely love them! (I'm actually going to reach out to the head designer and ask for more colors to further expand my wardrobe with these pants!)

Best of luck in finding what works for you, Lulu!

Little Lulu

Thanks, Lily! I'm going to check out your suggestions. I have gotten a lot of nice suggestions. I will add yours to the list! It's always great to have options!  

Lucy

Past Member

Hi Lulu! I love the Starfish knit line from Lands End. They have a variety of cuts/styles and lengths that I can wear for work or more casual occasions. If you want to try them, check the sale or clearance to help you decide before you pay full price!

Little Lulu

Hi, WIGirl43! Thank you for your response. I remember the Starfish knit line from years past. I will give them another look. I am so grateful that pull-up pants are currently in style! Appreciate your help.

Lucy

Maried

Palazzo pants with pockets and a fitted top sounds like a winner for date night... thank you for the new idea.  

estrogen

I bought some leggings online, I think they are oolala. One size fits all. I couldn't believe that (I'm short and skinny) but I tried them. They are great! Very soft material and now my favorite pants. If I find the link I'll post it.

Newbie Dana

Yeah, leggings don't work for me. I'm not short and skinny - I'm short and... fireplug-shaped!

denalidesigns2
Reply to Anonymous

Definitely! I have capri yoga pants too.

cindysimmons.hd

I started off with all usual suggestions which are all about covering. I dislike flattening the bag so I have these high-waisted jean leggings. I measured and cut a hole where the colostomy bag is and just have the pouch hanging out. I bought some fun covers from an Etsy girl who makes them.

No more hiding. For under a dress, I bought an elastic type skirt which gently flattens it.

ostodia

Try Blair.com. I have pants with a wide waist that goes above my ileostomy. Love and gratitude!

SharkFan

Little Lu,

I'm no lady but I couldn't help looking. The first thing I thought about was StomaShield. It's a plastic attachment that fits over the stoma and is held by an elastic belt. It's an option for me as I can wear a belt and a tucked-in shirt while the guard still provides room for discharge. If that's a little too big for you, StomaDome may be a better fit. Both items provide enough clearance for the output and are functional. If your stoma is above your beltline like mine, our days of showing our midriff may be over. Then again, that's never something of mine that anyone wanted to see.

Stay well,

SharkFan

oantoinia201395

I honestly just try to find pants like yoga pants for summer and jeggings for winter, something that's stretchy.

Mme. Fleurie

Hi Little Lulu,

I wear J. Jill pants. They come in a variety of styles, most of them are made with comfortable and stretchy fabrics. I have found they are the most comfortable, way more so than jeans which have little room for the pouch to expand. https://www.jjill.com/shop/womens-clothing/pants. See if there are any styles that appeal to you. Cotton pants and corduroy fabrics are like denim jeans, and lack stretch, so they won't be as comfortable, but there are many others with more stretchy fabrics to choose from. I also wear tunic tops so I don't have to worry about the bulge when my pouch fills. Best of luck,

Eve

Little Lulu
Reply to Mme. Fleurie

Hi, Eve! First of all, thanks for your comment! I also shop J.Jill. The pant that works best for me, out of all I have tried, is the Wearever slim leg style at J.Jill. The fabric is soft, stretchy, and the elastic in the waistband is thin. Reminds me of a yoga pant, but nicer. Lucy

Ebony&Ivory
Reply to Little Lulu

I like loose dresses also!

I wear a wrap to hold my pouch still and flat and a slip (remember those) lol.

E I

Past Member
Reply to Mme. Fleurie

I've been shopping at J Jill for many years and have always been satisfied with the clothes and the service. They also have great sales, if you can't wait for shopping, buy through J.jill Coupon Codes and get an amazing discount and free shipping. I've never had any problems with this store.

Ebony&Ivory
Reply to GrammieRed

I tried maternity pants early on in my search for clothing. They didn't work for me! They're cut wrong!

E I

Azdancer

I order my dress pants from QVC. Susan Graver has a fabric called Liquid Knit, and it is the best fabric I have ever worn. No fading, washes and dries like a dream, no wrinkles, all elastic waists. I also order my jeans from HSN from Diane Gilman; they are very stretchy.