Best tape for securing barrier bandage?

Replies
Views
w30bob

Hey Pinkie..........I've been thinking of your suggestion all day now. I don't know why I never thought to cut off the bandage portion of my Hollister barrier and replace it with something like Sure Seal. That might have drastically shortened my healing time when I was having skin irritation issues under my barrier bandage portion. That seems to not be an issue now that Hollister went with the Cera impregnated barriers........but I'm going to file this away in my head and if I have any more skin issues in the future I'm going to try this Sure Seal stuff.

This summer I've been using the 3M Micropore with great success. That shit sticks like glue. Can be a pain getting all the old adhesive off, even using the adhesive remover wipes.........but the added security is worth the labor of removal.

Regards,

Bob

Karate Girl

Wouldn't that be rough on the skin? I am looking for tape as well. Something that will survive sweat and showers etc.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,455 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Karate Girl, don't use gorilla tape. Karen and Bob were just goofing around. They do that. Goof around, I mean, not use gorilla tape.  

Laurie  

Mark1070

Great point, Laurie. I mean, why would anyone use gorilla tape when they could use Flex Seal?!? JUST KIDDING! LOL

Past Member

Thanks, Mark, for saying "JUST KIDDING." There is a lot of camaraderie and joking on this site - which is great, but the problem is that new ostomates might not be able to tell the difference between genuine information and jokes.  

Laurie

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Karate Girl

Don't worry folks. I would never use that on my skin lol

I haven't found my answer yet though

Mark1070

I've used Leukotape for almost 10 years. Showers, sweating, swimming are no problem. I also use a supplemental adhesive called Torbot or Osto-Bond. Either adhesive is definitely worth trying. They're latex-based so be aware of the potential allergies.  

Bryce

I have used OPSITE FlexiFix tape for many years and it works well. Intended as a wound tape, it is flexible, transparent when applied, and holds up well. Made by Smith & Nephew, it is pricey at about $50.00 per roll, but 2 or 3 rolls last a year and most insurance companies cover the cost.

DisneyRN

Just catching up on reading some old post topics and wanted to add some thoughts.

For outdoor sweating, you can use an antiperspirant wipe (look it up on Amazon). Numerous companies sell them and they are effective up to 7 days for blocking sweat and can be used around the wafer area.

I have catalogs for most all of the ostomy companies, and Nu-Hope has a page that has some AMAZING new additions to the "tape" arena. They have the C-shaped tape edges in various sizes and various products. They have it in the pink tape/Hy-tape version that is considered to be waterproof tape and in actual tape choices. Best of all, you could get insurance to pay and use it as your barrier extender choice in the warmer months.

https://www.nu-hope.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Nu-Hope-Product-Guide-2018-Low-Res.pdf

It's on page 9 of their catalog.