Christmas

In this discussion
Replies
Views
xnine

Made shortbread cookies today, but can not have anyone over to eat them. The province of Alberta has gone into a lock down.

/></p><p>A little harsh, but infections were way up there.</p>
						</div>
					</div>
                    <div class=

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,094 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Hi xnine,

Pretty much here in the states too since before Thanksgiving. At least on the west coast. The more populated counties have it more rigid.

Sure be glad when this is all over with.

Stay safe,...mountain.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
w30bob

Hey X......look at the good side.......more cookies for you!!!I just cooked my Thanksgiving Turkey yesterday. It wasn't thawed by Turkey day.....so I just left it in the fridge until yesterday. It came out perfect, and now Pooch and I have 20 lbs of meat all to ourselves!! Maybe I should do some baking tomorrow!

Cheers!

Bob

Heidi92

I actually have covid .My symptoms were mild at first but got much worse in just a few days. I am taking prednisone and arithomycin. I am starting to feel a little better, just really weak. I realy look forward to a post covid world. Hopefully things will be back to normal soon.

HenryM

Whoa, take care of yourself and get better soon. 

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Ritz

OH NO to all if you that contracted the Covid Crap . My state is going higher and higher as many of the towns do not require masks . I go out often as I need to , but continue to stay extremely diligent to protect those near me and myself . I have traveled and have had others in my home with extreme caution. I hope you all get better as soon as possible. As for your cookies , that's too bad you'll have to eat them all !!! I've sifted thru my recipes and take out the ingredients and put them back as I don't wish to become a Cookie Monster again ! Fortunately or unfortunately the neighbors , firemen,police,various organizations that I typically give pounds to , would like me to wait until this creepy crud disappears...so, it may be unseasonable for my holiday baking ..... I'm waiting . Enjoy your Holidays my fellow friends and every day in every way that this wonderful world has to offer ...Peace and tranquillity to you all

lovely

Sorry to hear this, hope you get over it soon with the least problems. nbsp; Best wishes

Lily17

Good Morning, O'mates

Last March 17th, Nevada's Governor Sisolak enacted our state's first partial shutdown to attempt to curb the growing number of COVID-19 cases, saying, "...the most effective course of action is to direct all Nevadans to stay home and for all nonessential businesses to close to the public for 30 days."

When I heard that I knew in my core, "Four weeks won't be long enough. SIX weeks won't be long enough. Beyond essential businesses, the entire state needs to shut down for two months..."Many of our state's citizens complained, disbelieving that such actions were necessary. Some people even tried to have the governor recalled for his actions, claiming that they were "damaging businesses and families".

I know that so early on in this pandemic, it was difficult to know what to expect in the way of rates of infection, tranmissability of the virus, how long it might be a factor in our lives around the world. I think our scientists now have a much better understanding of such things.

There is a saying that "Hindsight is 20/20"... I know that we can't go back in time and set more protective measures in place. I know that so many people have needlessly lost their lives during this pandemic, and so many more will pass. Affected surviviors may have to worry the remainder of their days about what future detrimental affects from COVID-19 lie in wait for their physical and mental wellbeing.

The government of Alberta, Canada's recently enacted restrictions have seemed very reasonable to me for almost 9 months, now. But, all I can do is shake my head at the earlier inaction by all levels of government around the world as people died. All I can do is continue to wear my mask, stay home as much as possible, social distance, and wash my hands and use hand sanitizer often. All I can do is take one day at a time, hoping that our loved ones care enough about the human race to also take these precautions so that we may all enjoy a future that is as healthy as possible.

This is day #3 back to work after 16 days of quarantine for me. Lost sense of taste smell 11/20 at work and was out the door in about 15 mins. after fearing the worst - then confirming I wasn't imagining things - speaking with my supervisor via phone. Got tested that night at GP's office, then hunkered down at home to wait for results, wearing a mask and social distancing in my own home to protect my Mom. We bought our home together years back, but she's almost 80 and has asthma, so her getting COVID-19 is currently my greatest fear.

Suffered with on off low-grade fevers, that all-over "ick" feeling when a body's sick, fatigue, and continued loss of taste, smell. You know that saying, "Tastes like chicken!"?Well, when tuna salad tastes more like sawdust than chicken...and you can barely taste the mint in a York Peppermint Patty?Yep, it was an issue. Then, to help my body recover from whatever-it-was, I dropped dairy and most sugar out of my diet. (Studies show that mucus membranes produce MORE mucus after ingestion of dairy, and sugar suppresses the immune system. Amazingly, stress also supresses immunity!)

You know how weird, odd, different, and unexpected 2020 has been because of COVID-19?My Mom I had decided to create SOMETHING normal in our home this year, so I made the largest grocery purchase of the year on 11/15, and we planned to spend some quality time in our kitchen, to make our usual family recipes, roast the turkey...all of it. As usual at Thanksgiving, dinner would be just the two of us. Then...this. And all of our plans for a "normal" Thanksgiving were dashed. There was no way I was going to stand over our meal preparations if there was a chance I was shedding the virus. So, Mrs. Callendar provided chicken pot pies for our Thanksgiving dinner. It was all right, but a disappointment.

Got the 11/20 test result back on 11/30:Negative. I asked the PA, "What's the chance it's a false-negative?"The doctor thought that chance was fairly high considering how quickly I was tested after noticing symptoms. So...back I went on 11/30 for Test #2. Speaking with the doctor about my symptons, he listened to my lungs, and said I had pneumonia, prescribed antibiotics, which I started that night. Then, the wait for new results began, again.

More fever fatigue, and coughing. Finally received my secondary test result on Monday, 12/7:Negative!I was so relieved, mostly because I knew that my Mom couldn't be sick with COVID-19, either!What a blessing!It would appear that I had a relatively mild case of influenza and pneumonia. As I had my annual influenza vaccination in early September, I feel my case of flu could have been so much worse.

Yet, the reality of what may continue to lie before us on this dark journey tempers any relief I am experiencing.

Please be safe. Be well

Lily17

TerryLT

Wow, Lily, that must have been very scary for you and your Mom. nbsp; I'm so glad it turned out well in the end. nbsp; Not that pneumonia and the flu are any picnic! nbsp; All we can do as individuals is use our common sense, exercise extreme caution and be considerate of others around us. nbsp; Sometimes this may mean taking extra precautions that are not even mandated by our government bodies. nbsp; We have been lucky here in B.C. as our provincial government has stayed out of the decision making from the start and left it to the medical experts. nbsp; Covid does not recognize what kind of politics you practice. nbsp; Stay safe.

All the best,

Terry

Terry

TerryLT

Hi Xnine,Yeah I'm afraid you are going to have to eat them all yourself. I can think of worse fates!It's good that your premier is finally taking some strict measures, just too bad he didn't do it earlier, as your current situation might have been prevented. Stay safe, and enjoy your cookies!

All the best,

Terry

bowsprit

On November 11th that resurgent virus got hold of two of the people who work for me. It is quite difficult to make them observe the rules of isolation and it took a lot of effort to keep them in line. I had to go into isolation myself but luckily did not contract it. They recovered and things are better now. The conditions dont bear any resemblance to what happens in the US so I will leave it at that. I read in an English newspaper that Rudy Giuliani received the same drug cocktail that Trump and other members of his inner circle did when they contracted it. It consists of monoclonal antibodies, synthetically manufactured proteins that mimic the immune system's ability to fight off viruses, it also said that few patients have access to it. In Giuliani's words: " I walked in with very serious symptoms. I walked out better than ever." Since he is a responsible person as are the others, this drug cocktail works and there is no reason to doubt it. Does anybody else here have more information on this? Best wishes to all and everybody keep safe.

Lily17

Hi, Heidi

Just the anxiety I had at possibly having contracted COVID...that likely my Mom was also infected...feeling ill...missing work amp; pay..."what ifs"... nbsp; All that WITHOUT having the virus!

I'm so sorry you're sick, Heidi, and hope you have a speedy and full recovery!

Lily17

Lily17

Hi, Bowsprit

So glad to hear you are healthy, and that your employees recovered! nbsp; : )

About the monoclonal antibody cocktail, I don't know anything about the science or tech behind it. nbsp; It seems to be a treatment, not a preventative, however.

But, I do have an opinion on its inavailability to the masses: nbsp; those COVID-19 patients with power and/or money, or those who KNOW people with power and/or money appear to get this treatment. nbsp; As for the rest of us U.S. citizens, we can only get "standard" medical treatments if we become ill, while we all wait to receive one of the vaccines.

IF THIS COCKTAIL IS AS EFFECTIVE AS REPORTED: nbsp; In my opinion, any medical personnel, first responders, or elderly persons who contract COVID-19, along with extremely ill COVID-19 patients, should be receiving that monoclonal antibody cocktail as a first treatment, rather than receiving less efficacious modalities currently available. nbsp; But, apparently there are entities in the U.S. Government that don't agree. nbsp; nbsp

I'll just leave it at that.

Lily17

bowsprit

It is a cruel world. The past tells us that when the vaccine is available here, it will go first to the high and mighty and then to the highest bidder. People at large will not get it nor will they be able to afford it. They have the funds here to make hundreds of nuclear bombs and the missiles to deliver them but cannot provide any kind of adequate healthcare for the poor. All the indications are that the drug cocktail that Trump and Guiliani and the other members of his inner circle took does work very well. It should be more widely available. This scourge is a nasty ----, both my guys who got it were strong muscular types, though they recovered at the end of it they could not even walk. It also sometimes has bad after effects. All the more reason to be strictly on guard against it and take all the precautions. All the best wishes.

lovely

Hi bowsprit glad your people are ok. I just pray they will come up with something for everyone affected Best wishes and stay safe

Heidi92

Thank you nbsp

Heidi92

Thank you nbsp

Heidi92

Thank you nbsp

bowsprit

Thank you, lovely. By the way, Covid-19 has an odour and dogs can detect it. I am not surprised, they have excellent noses, 10,000 times better than ours. They can do a good job at crowded places like airports. International travellers brought it in to different countries, including the US.

Lily17

Good Morning, Bowsprit

Interesting you should mention this, as I just saw a news item about this yesterday! nbsp; YAY FOR DOGS + SCIENCE!!!

Lily17

kmedup

Hi Heidi,

So sorry to hear. The vaccine can't come soon enough. I think each one of knows of someone who has Covid now. Do take care and hopefully you will get back to normal again. Thinking of you. Just, K.

Heidi92

Thank you