Marathon Skin Protectant: A Costly but Effective Option

Replies
Views
Earth Angel

Hi Lily,

Have you ever considered or tried an elimination diet to see if a particular type of food was causing the dermatitis? Sugar, gluten, and dairy can wreak havoc on your system, causing major dermatological issues such as you've mentioned with your ulcerations. If you're not familiar with an elimination diet, there are books and websites on how to try it. Also, a nutritionist can help as well. It takes about 4-6 weeks of totally eliminating the suspected food, then reintroduce it back into the diet. Your skin will clear up if there is an allergen or sensitivity, and you avoid that particular food. It takes some strict following and patience but is very reliable.

I understand how frustrating it must be to be unable to find a solution, so I really hope you find your answer soon!

Keep us posted if you figure it out! Sending best wishes for healing!

w30bob

Hi Lily,

This morning I decided to leave my barrier on another day. This way I can see if the Marathon is any easier to remove on Day 3 than Day 2.   I'll let you know what I find out tomorrow morning.    

Regards,

Bob

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,443 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

w30bob

Lily,

Good news. The Marathon came off much easier this morning (Day 3). There was hardly any that stuck to my skin, and that easily peeled off. The 3-day thing won't work for me as I started getting seepage around my barrier ring... so I'm sticking with every other day. But for those who can wait a bit longer, the Marathon is easier to deal with. And the really good news is my skin looked great under the Marathon. I see they also make a large applicator version that has 3x the product in it if you need to cover a bigger area. Expensive, as I said, but worth it as a way to get problem skin under control so you can figure out a game plan to deal with it.

Regards,

Bob

Lily17

Hi, EA.

Thank you for the suggestions. Trying to wrap my head around the idea of a food sensitivity causing inflammation leading to deep, sub-appliance ulcerations that presented 32 days after my surgeries. That's the only place they occur.

However, considering that I do have a few other dermal issues, it may be worth looking into. The human immune system is an odd thing, isn't it?

Thank you! :)

Lily17

Lily17

Hi, Bob.

That is good news! Maybe you should consider reworking your barrier solution if you have seepage on Day 3? With a workable solution to that, plus the Marathon, you may have a winning combination. :)

One of my concerns is how fragile my post-ulceration/healed skin is; I'm concerned that I'd damage the skin even with the "easier" peel-off you note after 3 days.

Guess I'm a bit gun-shy with my experiences. I'll remember this info for future reference, though.

So happy that your experiment is paying off for you, however! Keep us posted on any new developments, Bob.

Lily17

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Uro2011

It's amazing stuff. I get 6-8 days out of my pouch now that my skin is healthy. When the skin around my stoma was really bad, I was changing my pouch every 3 days and the ET nurses couldn't figure it out. I tried the Marathon for about a month and my skin healed right up. It gives your skin time to heal. My skin healed earlier than a month, but I wanted to give my skin a nice long break with the Marathon, and I've never had to use it since. This stuff literally changed my life. It's expensive but for me, it was worth every penny. My skin was so broken and irritated and super itchy it was driving me crazy, the Marathon changed everything. I also never ever had an issue with it not coming off, I have a urostomy so not sure if that makes a difference?? Glad it worked for you Bob.  

w30bob

Hi Uro,

Yupper........I'm going to keep using it too, even though my skin looked great.   It says on the box that it's good for deep wounds, etc..........so good to keep on hand, which I'll do.   Funny, I never thought to put Krazy Glue on THAT part of my body.   Don't ask.    

;0)

Bob

Lily17

Ummm... Bob?

The information sheet says: "Contraindications: Do NOT apply directly to deep, open, or bleeding wounds. Do NOT apply to chronic wounds (persistent or unhealing wounds). Do NOT apply to second or third degree burns. Do NOT apply to infected areas."

You say the box says it's good for deep wounds? I think they've got their messaging mixed up...

Lily17

P.S. - No, I won't ask. nbsp )

w30bob

Hi Lily,

This is exactly why everyone should buy real Marathon and not the cheaper copy-cat off-brand stuff like I did.   I saved $4, but they left out a few key words!!!    

Guess I shouldn't have slathered it all over the rope burn I got the other day.   Damn!, now you tell me!

Seriously, thanks for the correction.   I don't know what I was reading, obviously!  

Regards,

Bob