Ostomy Memories of Super Coffee

In this discussion
Replies
Views
HenryM

My late friend McBurr, may he rest in peace, loved coffee. He had grown up in the Mormon Church and they forbid coffee, but he hadn’t been back to church since, as a nineteen year old, they told him he would be required to go on a mission to Iceland. He wanted to go to Columbia where he knew they grew some of the finest coffee beans in the world.
He tried all brands of coffees over the years and sampled the brew from beans grown all over the world. It was strong coffee that he preferred and, I must admit, I have him to thank for introducing me to some good, strong coffees.
Coffee was his downfall. He wanted it stronger and stronger. The over-the-counter brands and the more exotic stuff that he could order from catalogs or on-line became, in the end, too tame for him. Finally he hit upon the idea of brewing what he came to call super coffee. First he brewed up a pot of the strongest Columbian available. Then he brewed a second pot using, instead of water, the coffee brewed in the first pot. It was double coffee and would curl the toes of the average coffee drinker.
One day last month I went over to McBurr’s house to return the drill he’d loaned me. It was about 10 o’clock in the morning. I noticed his eyes were wide as quarters and his whole body seemed to be jumping like it was connected to some wireless, silent generator. He had just come in from his garden and, when he changed his shirt, I saw that the hair on his chest was long and thick as the fur on his dog.
“Fifth cup,” he said, downing the last gulp of his special super coffee. Then he launched into this lengthy, hyped-up diatribe about soil and garden pests but he was speaking so rapidly and distractedly that it was difficult for me to understand much of what he was saying.
I got word two days later that he’d been killed, run over by someone backing out of their driveway while McBurr was chasing down the road after a Starbuck’s truck.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,104 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Casper9

One coffee a day, that's it.

If I have any more than that, I'm twitchy and can't fall asleep at night. However, I do enjoy some of the other tasty treats at Starbuck's

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
lovely

Sorry about your friend. That much caffene can't be good for you. I usually have one cup a day. I want just regular coffee with a little creamer. I don't even like flavored creamer. I have tried some other flavors but they are not for me.

Bill

Hello HenryM.
This memory seems to be tinged with some sadness surrounding someone who did not take into consideration the possible adverse consequences of their culinary actions.
As is usual with your shared memories, this one triggered some past thoughts of my own from those days (now long-passed), when I joined in the ‘habitual-ritual’ of drinking tea and coffee at every opportunity.
On several occasions, I began uncontrollably shaking and trembling, in a fashion that could be described as the early onset of Parkinson’s disease.
It was at that time I decided to eliminate tea and coffee from my diet and replace them with plain water (hot or cold).
Within a day or so, the trembling and shaking disappeared and, thankfully, I have not had any return of these symptoms since.
For me, this was a salutary lesson in being careful not to be overly attracted/dependent on rituals and habits which can develop into a form of emotional ( if not physical) dependency).
I feel sure, from the conversations I have read here on MAO, that most people with gut problems have realised that taking notice of what your body is telling you with regard to diet, is very important to our wellbeing.
I, for one, feel that maintaining the best of health is much more important than the fads we may have regard eating.
Best wishes
Bill