Ostomy Memories of Speed Bumps

In this discussion
Replies
Views
HenryM

NEIGHBORHOODS THAT BECOME CUT-THRU PATHS for vehicular traffic can appeal to the city for what is known in municipal jargon as TRAFFIC CALMING. These are bumps artificially constructed with asphalt strips across the street to compel cars to slow down as they pass through a residential area. They can be a real annoyance, although one can certainly see the justification for it. “Nothing is so aggravating,” said Oscar Wilde, “as calmness.” The more expensive cars, I suspect, with the more advanced suspension systems, probably handle these speed bumps better than my low-grade transportation (defined, these high-priced days, as anything under $50 K). One of my daughters lives in an apartment complex filled with speed bumps to keep parking lot traffic slow; it also minimizes my visits. Every time I go over another bump, I feel like a mannikin on a ride at the county fair. But speed bumps are life’s way of telling us… sometimes you can go fast, sometimes you have to slow down. It has been a while since my last speeding ticket.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,091 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Hello HenryM.

I am not a fan of speed bumps, primarily because they are not really a deterrent to those determined to break the law in this way. I prefer those (average) speed cameras (that work) and catch people in the act. then they can be admonished approriately and eventually their licences taken away where necessary.

Also, my view on speed bumps is that they are no more effective than potholes, and parked/abandoned vehicles - and the latter cost nothing to the ratepayer.

Driving welfare-buses, with elderly/frail people on board is equivalent to driving an ambulance. The effects of these speed bumps is that they jolt the spine and any other fragile joints our passengers may have. No matter how slowly we drive, some of the speed-bump designs force the buses to sharply sway from side to side as well as up and down, which makes it more like riding on a boat in rough seas than riding on bus in town. Thus we are obliged to try to avoid them wherever possible, which makes the volume of traffic on the side roads that much greater.

There is another solution to the speeding problem (which, interestingly, is being introduced and tested by some insurance companies in the UK) which is to have a device monitoring speed and road safety,  fitted to the vehicle and mointored by the companies. If the drivers are careful and considerate, then their insurance premiums are low. if they are not, then the premiums rise to a point where the drivers are likely to be refused insurance altogether and therefore would be unable to drive.

Best wishes

Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate