Ostomy Memories of Stupidity

Replies
Views
HenryM

ASTOUNDED BARELY DESCRIBES MY REACTION when seeing the story recently about all the unvaccinated people dying of Covid and their friends, family, & neighbors still persisting in refusing to get vaccinated. Did you see the video showing the woman who insisted that the vaccine magnetized her, and to prove it, she kept sticking a key on her neck, which persisted in falling ingloriously off? Or the poor fool who thinks it’s a government plot to inject microchips into people? Or kill them? There’s an obvious irony there, of course, but as Oscar Wilde said, “irony is wasted on the stupid.” The problem, of course, is that these idiots’ refusal to act rationally endangers all of us. Italian economist Carlo Cipolla, in his essay “The Basic Laws of Human Stupidity,” categorized four essential types of humans: the helpless, the intelligent, the bandit, and the stupid, and pointed out that three of those four groups are destined by character to harm others, themselves, or both. So the plague of Covid continues apace, fed by the refusal of stupid people to obtain a life-saving vaccine. “The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity,” said Harlan Ellison. And stupidity, adds Frank Zappa, “has a longer shelf life”

ron in mich

Hi Henry i considerate it as natural selection, they,re too stupid to know whats good for them.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Hello HenryM.
I did find this post most interesting and, as usual with your posts, they are a pleasure to read. I have rarely ever classified people as 'stupid' because there are so many other designated diagnostic descriptions that often fit perfectly well for ineptitude and/or diminished responsibility as well as so many other socially dysfunctional attributes of people.
However, as I was recently contemplating the concept of 'bullying' as it might relate to the covid pandemic, it occurred to me that people could be classified in terms of their behavioural responses (also reflecting their attitudinal stances). Thus, I’ll reproduce below some of my thoughts on this subject to add and maybe complement your own contributions to such a discussion.
Best wishes
Bill

A COVID METAPHOR & R.I.M. MODEL FOR COVERT BULLIES.
There are surely things we need to learn about ourselves in this time of the Covid19 pandemic.
My interest in dysfunctional people and bullies got me thinking that there are comparisons to be made with the way people are behaving during these times of crisis and, it is perhaps an opportune moment to build a ‘model’ of behaviours to try to explain/expose what is happening.
Covert bullies can be said to be ‘asymptomatic’ because they often do not manifest overt symptoms.
Covert Bullies do not ‘suffer’ their condition but impose it on others so that other people ‘suffer’.
Covert Bullies can be described as ‘carriers’, in much the same way as asymptomatic people ‘carry’ and spread the covid19 condition. However, not all asymptomatic people deliberately want to spread the condition to others who may then consequently ‘suffer’.
We therefore need to make distinctions between (1) those who are responsible, ‘benign-carriers’ and wish nobody else any harm; (2) those who are irresponsible and do not care about the effects of their behaviour on others; and (3) those who are malevolent and wish to harm as many other’s as they can.
Below is a draft model for making the distinction between these three types of people who may not show overt symptoms (of bullying or covid19):

‘A’ (asymptomatic) PEOPLE
R                                     I                               M
Responsible            Irresponsible                 Malevolent
(Benign)                  (Care-less)                  (Dangerous)
caring,                     uncaring                      malicious
considerate,           inconsiderate                  vindictive
thoughtful,             superficial                     Machiavellian
helpful,                  unhelpful                       spiteful
kind,                      unkind                          nasty
unselfish,                selfish                          narcissistic
benevolent,            mean spirited                 hurtful
warm-hearted,       indifferent                      cold/calculating
good-natured,        unfavourably disposed     bully
friendly,                 aloof                              devious
warm,                    cold                               manipulative
affectionate,           unfeeling                        unscrupulous
agreeable,              disagreeable                   unpleasant
amiable,                 indifferent                      cruel
sympathetic,          unsympathetic                callous
compassionate,       heartless                       merciless
well disposed,         ill-disposed                    warlike
obliging,                 unobliging                      ruthless
liberal,                    conservative                  fascist
benignant               u nfriendly                      hostile
generous                mean                             rancorous
accommodating,      unaccommodating          obstructive
cordial,                   unfriendly                      antagonistic
genial,                    unapproachable              dangerous
passive                   indifferent                      aggressive
social                      anti-social                      treacherous
non-killer                occasional-killer              serial-killer

WHERE ARE WE - ON THE RIM?

When I refer to on the ‘RIM’
it is, of course, an acronym,
which helps to show what we may know
about the way some people go.

I use the ‘R’, the ‘I’ and ‘M’
to try to identify them
in terms of underlying traits
which might range from love to hate.

We need some guidance as to what
basic traits people have got,
so, we can guess how they will act
long before it is a fact.

Where there are people who don’t show
those outward signs, we still should know
that they might pose to us some harm
so, raise a cognitive alarm.

The ‘R’ stands for ‘Responsible’,
and ‘I’ for ‘Irresponsible’.
‘M’ means they’re ‘Malevolent’
thus, rarely are benevolent.

And here, we have the basic theme,
from people being nice to mean,
especially when other’s can’t see
from outward signs what they might be.

The lists are there to ascertain
if someone else might cause us pain,
based upon their attributes
before they show that they are brutes.

I would maintain for ‘I’ and ‘M’,
we need some strict controls on them,
before they harm, injure, or hurt
even though they are covert.

Be Withers 2020

PS: Sorry if the list did not copy & Paste properly but this is the best I could do!

TerryLT

Hi Henry,There really is never any shortage of contenders for the Darwin award. I just wish they weren't trying to bring the rest of us with them.

Terry