COVID-19 Tragedy: Unvaccinated Friend Dies Abroad

Replies
Views
TerryLT

We just learned that a good friend of ours, who had been living in England for the past couple of years, recently died of COVID-19. He was 60 and otherwise healthy, and he was not vaccinated. Perhaps someone reading this will find the lesson in it. I can only hope. All I know is that this virus has suddenly become much more real to me.

Terry

Past Member

Hi C, sorry to hear about your friend and no need to state the obvious but I will anyway. As we know, in hospital we allow ourselves to be injected, inspected inside and outside. Has the antivax person know anything about most of the lotions and potions we are given, have been given in Osto cases...do we ask the surgeon to hold our hand and explain in minute detail the cocktail of drugs given which allow us to stay alive? Of course not. You can get the basic info and from there on you must and have put your fate in the hands of scientists, surgeons, anesthetists, nurses who shoot you up over and over. I always ask what I'm being given and if there is some error I will catch it because I know the names of the meds, I don't read a study in the Lancet or The New England Journal of Medicine!! Also, I do not think that every virologist and epidemiologist on the planet except for a few outliers is engaged in some psychotic conspiracy to harm people. People should have a little decency and respect for the people who dedicate their entire lives in the service of the general wellbeing of all their patients. I'm sure many of the antivaxxers smoke/vape, drink alcohol, eat red meat/chicken, take over the counter meds whose ingredients they cannot even pronounce, let alone understand. People in the Southern States are buying/using drugs meant for animals which are extra potent because a cow will weigh ten times more than a person!!! They are buying this shit and using it when they can get the vax specifically designed for the current pandemic for free!!!

I conclude that there seems to be almost a mass psychosis among a population of normally logical (semi at least!!) people, like a paranoid narcissism...that sounds familiar, must have caught that from the previous occupant You-know-who!!. Not giving a shit about other people has spread like a bad, irritating, and quite dangerous rash!!! And it is killing people!!

Ok, rant over for now. I'm typing in the sun so please forgive mistakes. Love, hugs, peace to all you guys and dolls out there.

Eamon / AKAMagoo.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,357 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Terry, I'm sorry to hear about your friend's death. Yes, it makes it much more real. It also underscores the sad consequences of belief in conspiracy theories and the irresponsibility of those spreading them as "truth". That irresponsibility is killing people unnecessarily. Take good care.

Laurie

Angelicamarie

Terry, I'm sorry for your loss. May God bless you and your family in your time of despair.

Angelicamarie

lovely

Terry, I'm so sorry for your loss. I will pray for your friends and family.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Bagface

So sorry about your friend, Terry.

Bill

Hello Terry.

Sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. I too lost a friend recently to Covid and these personal losses certainly do bring the whole thing closer to home.

Recently, we have been following the basic statistics and it seems that younger (unvaccinated) people are now becoming seriously ill with this disease and the older (vaccinated) people are much less severe with their symptoms. Hence, (as with annual flu vaccinations) the Covid vaccinations appear to be working largely as they were/are intended.

I was also interested to learn that people who have been vaccinated can still carry (and transmit) Covid. This snippet of information is surely important in terms of prompting people to show consideration and responsibility towards others. However, my cynicism regarding human behaviour makes me somewhat sceptical as to how many will understand the implications and how many will take precautions for the sake of the safety of others. 

Best wishes

Bill 

HenryM

Well said, Eamon.  There's no reason not to mention the elephant in the room, the guy you referred to as "you know who."  It's Donald Trump, the fount of all this mass delusion and stupidity.  And now stories are proliferating about unvaccinated people dying of Covid and their still living family members continuing to refuse to get vaxxed.  The ignorance is mind-boggling.  It's astounding that one moronic, incompetent, mentally ill man could gain so much power and infect so many people with a mass delusion that is responsible for all these unnecessary deaths AND the real prospect of the death of our democracy.  See, Buddy... you're not the only one prone to rant occasionally.  Stay well.

Past Member

"One moronic, incompetent, mentally ill man" - isn't that the current POTUS?

Caz67

Hi Terry

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. May they rest in peace. As Bill rightly said, in the UK it's now affecting younger people. The COVID is replicating at top speed, and the only way to stop it once and for all is for everyone to be vaccinated. But I feel we would be fighting a lost cause with the anti-vax group, so I will leave it at that. XX

Past Member

I really don't understand your dialog? Why are you poking fun of southern poverty for? Seems a bit gullible and irrational. Nothing is for free. Vaccines are sponsored and regulated under the authority of governments and branched to the highest level under pharmaceutical makers and being paid under me and your tax money.  

ron in mich

Hi Terry, sorry to hear about your friend. My condolences.

Uro2011

This guy below will be our future until we all get on the same page and get vaccinated for the greater good. The stats show again and again that new deaths and infections are mainly all the unvaccinated. I'm reading the same stats being reported from all over the world. I'm watching interviews from emergency room doctors confirming the same, and begging people to get vaccinated. Why would these overwhelmed doctors lie? What would be the point?

I'm not really sure this will ever end until we all stick together. We need the "one for all and all for one" mentality.

The cases in my area are all going up in the unvaccinated because of the variants that are appearing due to the unvaccinated allowing the virus to mutate. My hope is that our government will make it so difficult for the unvaccinated to even enter a grocery store without proof of being vaccinated, no entering a restaurant or any public place without proof of being vaccinated. Unfortunately, I think our government is too soft to put their foot down.

The sad thing is I know there are people out there that would rather starve to death and not go to a grocery store and eat just to prove a point instead of getting vaccinated because of their rights. What I don't think they realize is their choices made under their freedom is putting my life at risk, as well as others.

I also think governments should make a law that if you get hospitalized for Covid and you are unvaccinated (unless you are exempt for other reasons) you pay 100% of your hospital bills. No insurance coverage at all.

Apparently the FDA is ready, or close, to approving the Pfizer vaccine. Does this change any of the unvaccinated opinions now? Is this one of the main reasons they aren't getting vaccinated? I hope it gets approved/passed and more of the unvaccinated go for their shot.

Past Member

Hi, thanks for your comment. I mention the Southern States because poison control centers in this area of the country report that people are taking medicine that is meant for animals that weigh ten times what a person weighs and apparently do not know that the animal meds are concentrated and very dangerous....people in Florida, Alabama drinking bleach!!! Definitely not poking fun at anyone, I was deadly serious. Hospitals are filling up with people who apparently do not believe in science! You do not have to be educated to believe in science. I think that the attitude has little to do with education actually or intelligence. This has to do with critical thinking, being able to weigh bullshit with proven science and decide which makes more sense. The evidence so far shows without a shadow of a doubt that 1) Masks help to keep everyone safe. They are not perfect but would you want your surgeon operating on your cut open belly leaning into your open wound without a mask on!!!?? The mask (for Covid) traps moisture particles which will contain the virus. The virus is small enough to get through by itself but it does not travel by itself, it travels on moisture particles which are ejected from someone's nasal passage or throat...the mask traps the moisture which contains the virus. 2) The vaccine. I can understand people in third world countries might believe in conspiracies and not believe their governments, they may not have the resources to understand science and trust their local healers and natural medicines more than they trust a doctor in a "spacesuit" who wants to give them a shot. The vaccines that have been created stand as a testament to the ingenuity and creativity of the thousands of researchers, virologists, doctors, etc., who dedicate their lives to helping people.

Big Pharma has a lot to answer for and needs a hell of a lot of scrutiny and regulation, especially after what we recently learned about the opioid epidemic and how one company contributed to many, many thousands of deaths, how they engineered the opioid addiction disaster on purpose!! That has hit so many states. When something makes sense and according to the statistics it is having the desired effects, knocking Covid back to a manageable level and is now proven to be effective, then those who refuse to even believe that Covid is actually real, those who take the advice of a damn pillow salesman over the advice of the best scientists on the planet...these people deserve zero credit for common sense! Some say that their God will protect them....did they ever consider that their God has sent them brilliant scientists as the vehicle for their salvation from this pandemic. That would really show their faith in their God doing His/Her work through the scientists rather than believing in some huckster conman who tells them that if they give him money then he will put in a good word for them with his version of God...you do not have to pay money to get into Heaven, you do not have to pay bribes to get favors from God, is that what their God is? A mafia don who says, "Give me the money or your house could accidentally burn down, or you can forget about Heaven."

Sorry, gotta slow down here. Well, Bobbits, I am so vocal about this and so angry sometimes because (I will say it once again) the love of my life lost her life to a blood clot which would have been discovered by her regular in-person checkups at her hospital if not for the fact that so many people were not taking precautions and were filling the hospitals with Covid patients. If the other moron had taken this seriously from the beginning, the hospitals might have been able to handle their regular everyday patients and saving their lives...not some fool who thinks that Covid is fake and a conspiracy to make money for big Pharma shareholders. Again with the South, that is happening right now especially in the Southern States. Hospitals are full, ICU beds are nonexistent, doctors and nurses, cleaners and pathologists are up to their damn elbows in Covid patients who should not be there and would not be dying if they had taken some simple precautions.

This is why I am so vocal and so angry at the lack of common sense demonstrated by so many American people and I might add so many people around the world, riots over masks in Australia, QANON believers in Germany and England...it all demonstrates an inability to think critically, to distinguish fantasy from reality, to distinguish medicine from poison (bleach).

Enough, I am finished with this diatribe so I'm quite sure I offended some, delighted some, shocked some and some just couldn't give a shit what I think and that's fine also. I've said my piece, maybe a bit disjointed but that happens when I get emotional on such an important topic.

Eamon Out....Love, Peace and Good Health to Everyone out there...XX. Not proofreading this so here goes nothing!!

My family was the only family in my area to have kids. HIGH SCHOOL.

Past Member

Thank you, Henry. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.... if he wants to die of thirst because he firmly believes that the water is a mirage and you are lying to him about it actually being water.... then I say tough shit!! Just shove him out of the way and allow the other horses to save their own lives. An old saw that is relevant here... "Don't know why they call it 'common sense' because it really is not that common." I think your level of education has little to do with it. My dad never went to high school and he had more common sense than anyone I have ever known. Being uneducated does not make a person stupid, just deprived. But he had the common sense to understand what he needed to know to raise ten kids with my wonderful, scary smart mom. They made a great team. I have heard educated, apparently smart people come out with the most ridiculous shit because they lack critical thinking skills and the common sense that God gave a mouse (even a mouse has the common sense to come in out of the rain!!!?). I just don't get some people, Henry. All I can do is wish them well and hope they somehow acquire just a bit of that precious common sense.

Eamon Out...

TerryLT

Hi Magoo, don't stop ranting, you are a breath of fresh air.   I agree with everything you have said and you make some really good points.   The overriding emotion I feel over my friend's death is anger.   I don't know why he wasn't vaccinated and his wife has given out little detail around the nature of his death.   I know he was always a very active healthy guy, so I am assuming it was a personal choice not to get vaccinated.   I have found during this pandemic that some people I thought I knew well, I really didn't know at all.   It is astonishing to me to see the numbers of people who are making a choice not to be vaccinated for the most ridiculous reasons.   I'm sure you are right, that many of them are the same people who pollute their bodies daily with bad food, over-the-counter drugs of every description, booze, and cigarettes, never questioning or caring what that might be doing to their systems.   The level of selfishness and inconsideration for others' health is mind-boggling.   I'm also betting that many of these anti-vaxxers consider themselves good Christians.   I beg to differ.   I have had both vaccines, and I'm waiting for surgery.   I need to have a negative Covid test before the hospital will admit me.   I resent that I have to continue to be vigilant due to those people around me who have decided it's OK not to wear a mask anymore or respect my space.   If I were to get Covid-19 at this point, my symptoms would likely be mild, BUT, it would be enough to put a kibosh on my surgery, so for that reason, I have to continue with the raised level of anxiety and vigilance.   It shouldn't be this way, but it is.    

Terry

Past Member

Thank you so much Terry, it warms my heart to hear from the reasonable people out there. I have not heard one single reason that made any sense. As I said in another message, I used to smoke, drink, and a long while back use Vicodin to keep me from the bathroom, it worked really well until I knew I had to give it up, getting to like it too much. What I'm saying is that I'm not preaching, just pointing out the hypocrisy and lack of common sense. The deaths of more than 600,000....Six Hundred Thousand People!!! And average 10 people close to them having to go on without someone very important in their lives, do the math!!! The most galling, frustrating thing is that there are people who are willing to put not only their life at risk but the lives of everyone they meet!!! Selfish, self-centered narcissistic people.

Thanks again Terry.

To one person deriding Biden and apparently glorifying his predecessor. If not for the mind-numbing arrogant stupidity, the total disregard for human life, and the mind-blowing narcissism and ignorance of that predecessor, there would probably be at least 400,000 people sitting down to dinner tonight with their loved ones who instead are now in a hole in the ground or burnt to ash. The homicidal psychotic spoiled child who came before should be put on trial for multiple counts of negligent homicide, possibly treason, and too many financial crimes to list.....and his family also.

TerryLT

It seems that you and I are on the same page when it comes to your former "Lunatic in Chief", as well as his successor who has been tasked with the thankless job of trying to clean up the mess he was left with.    

Terry

Uro2011

Well, great news for my area. They are talking about implementing a vaccination passport program, so if you want to go to a restaurant or public event, you aren't getting in unless you're vaccinated. LOVE IT! Should have been done a LONG time ago. Here are the stats supporting vaccination from the Centre for Disease Control in my province. Having 2 doses only accounts for 6% of cases. We need the one-dose people to get their 2nd vaccines to drive the cases down even further. The unvaccinated account for 72% of the deaths and 80% of the hospitalizations. If this isn't an eye-opener, I'm not sure what is?? These stats are directly from the BC Centre for Disease Control.

Past Member

Thank you, Terry. I was not born here, but I have really grown up here since a teenager. One of the first things I saw on TV was Richard Nixon taking a hike and saying "I am not a crook." Nixon was a Boy Scout compared to the crime family who recently vacated the White House. There were "only" 57,000 Americans dead in Vietnam. I thought the country had dodged a bullet when there was no war in his last year, but 600,000 leaves Vietnam in the dust!! A pandemic such as this should never be politicized by anyone, and people and their families should never be used as pawns, but we live in the real world. Openly saying, in public, that an administration in power would only give aid to the states whose governors supported that administration, Rep, Dem, or any other party, borders on criminal. Having a psychotic child at the helm is worse than having nobody at all at the helm. A pandemic requires a concerted, uniform response and a unified policy throughout a nation, and this requires a head of state who wants to unite the whole country and get everyone on the same page for the required attack strategy. This was the exact polar opposite of what happened. Not backing and even criticizing the heroic efforts of scientists while taking advice on medications from another "Carnival Barker" who sells pillows. Someone who called his own top military advisors a bunch of idiots and pussies, disparaging his own intelligence chiefs and ignoring their advice and only taking advice from the hustlers and conmen who would bow and kiss his feet, going along with and reinforcing his crazy notions which endangered and eventually cost thousands of lives....a person like this is clearly not qualified for the position he occupies and poses a serious threat to the entire country. Joe Biden, like most of us, is not perfect, but at least he shows some interest in doing things that help the country and does not wake up every morning thinking up new ways to destroy it. If the past few years were a movie, I would say it was a bit far-fetched and off the mark as a believable movie plot, but as a movie plot, the next scenes would be the traitor-in-chief to be doing the famous New York "Perp Walk" as he is led away in handcuffs as an enemy of the state and traitorous, self-serving criminal narcissist whose defense would be...diminished capacity and mental defect.

One thing that has really puzzled me is the supporters of this person act like the turkey who cheers on Thanksgiving. They pay the taxes that his friends and relatives should be paying.

We can dream!!!

Past Member

My hope is that Ontario will bring in a "vaxport" too, but our Premier is set against it. I see it as a no-brainer if we truly want to keep Covid numbers down.  

Laurie

Uro2011

You guys need to vote him out next election. Our premier is for it and he's supposed to be addressing it very soon. Sad because I believe Ontario has always had the worst Covid stats in Canada, yet your "leader" doesn't want to make positive changes like a vaxport. Makes zero sense to me.

Past Member

Yes! We do need to vote him out next June! Unfortunately, I am only one vote, and I didn't vote for him last time. Apparently the "buck a beer" campaign slogan appealed to a lot of people. Hey, I love a good beer too, but I'm not willing to let that be the deciding factor in an election. I email him at least once every week to give him a piece of my mind, but he doesn't listen. Ontario has had the worst stats for COVID, both in case count and number of deaths, so yes, a vaccine passport would undoubtedly prevent deaths and encourage those on the fence to get vaxxed. But Dougie knows he needs to appeal to his base, which won't approve of a passport. So he won't do it until he's sure the vast majority would want it. Which is why I email him every week. I hate living under a conservative government, so I'm hoping that changes next year. I will do my part, just like I will on September 20. Take care.

Laurie

HenryM

Since I live in Florida, its Covid numbers soaring, and our mini-Trump governor de Santis issuing orders against mask mandates, I can empathize.  Unfortunately, I suspect the IQ of our voting age population has decreased by at least twenty points in recent years, I'm not optimistic for our future.

Past Member

Yes Henry, you have a stooge at the helm. That man is truly irresponsible. Some crackerjack lawyer (know any?) might want to have him tried as a war criminal for all the blood on his hands. I have been reading interesting articles lately about the possibility of suing anti-vaxxers, but I think it would be difficult to prove causality. However, that might be very different for a legislator. Stay safe.

Laurie

TerryLT

Hey Uro, Hello to a fellow B.C.r, and I too am really happy about our vaccine passport, sooner the better! The latest stat I heard on the news last night was that 94% of the current hospitalizations are people who haven't had even one shot. Pretty easy to understand, isn't it? What do these anti-vaxxers think, that the stats aren't real? That the powers that be are lying to them? To what end? Our numbers here in B.C. are pretty good, around 76% are fully vaccinated, but it still needs to get better. I'm not sure what it will take to convince those that remain. Someone in their family dying maybe, or not!

Terry

TerryLT

Hi Magoo, One of the many things that has astonished me about Trump is his ability to insulate himself from criminal charges or prosecution, so far anyway. We should be calling him the Teflon Don if the name weren't already taken. Look at the number of people around him, enablers, fixers, partners in crime, who have all gone down, been charged and/or indicted and/or jailed for crimes committed on behalf of Trump. I think there were close to a dozen at last count. I wonder if we will ever see him get what's coming to him. As you say, we can dream!

Terry

Uro2011

Well, the news conference here today confirmed that a vaccine passport will be needed for restaurants, movies, sporting events, etc. I'm so happy about that. It should have been done 6 months ago.  

I truly believe that many people who are dead set against the vaccine, if they had a family member die of Covid, wouldn't change their minds about getting vaccinated.  

lovely

My son, who has COVID for a week and is still very nery sick, said when he gets over this he will get the vaccine. He is a very strong person and this thing has really thrown him for a loop. He is still hurting all over, headache, chills, and fever, and of course, no energy. He said he has never had anything like this. I have a niece who said she was waiting for the FDA to approve the vaccine, and that has now happened. Maybe with this approved, more will take it. Hope you all stay safe.

lovely

Terry, sorry to hear about your friend.