Ostomy Memories of Books

In this discussion
Replies
Views
HenryM

ONE CAN’T HAVE TOO MANY BOOKS, and I’ve been collecting them for a long time. Collecting is probably a misleading word, since I actually read them. I’ve been following my nose from writer to writer since college. What I mean by that is that, when I see what authors have had an influence upon a writer with whom I’m impressed, I add them to my list of possibilities. I keep a list. The other day, going through some very old papers, I found my original reading list of authors I thought that I needed to read. I created the list about 55 years ago. I’ve since read many of their works. There were some I’ve never gotten to, and likely won’t. About a year and a half or so ago, I came across a book entitled “1,000 Books to Read Before You Die.” Many I had already read. I culled out about sixty more that I then commenced to get and read. Only a couple have disappointed me and I’d probably be through the list by now if it weren’t for the fact that, as you might guess, several of them side-tracked me onto other writers. Still following my nose. Probably about 75% of the books that I buy are used, in good condition. I’m purchasing through Amazon’s collective of used book sellers all over the country. Then two days ago, I got my watch battery replaced and, realizing there was a used book store just a block away, I drove over. It was 10:30 AM; I discovered they don’t open until 11:00 AM. Rather than wait, I drove back home, knowing that I am already in the midst of reading two different books, with three more sitting on the shelf over my head waiting for me to get to them. It’s amazing that my eyesight hasn’t gone kerflooey, but my eye doctor just gave me a thumb’s up. Where’s my book list?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,108 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Hello HenryM.
Our house is also full of books – that my wife buys and reads. Occasionally, she comes across one that she thinks I would enjoy and passes it over to me. I like the idea that she knows me well enough to know what I might or might not like to read, so I duly read her suggested books with interest.
Unfortunately, I read in a similar fashion to the way I paint (obsessively), so I don’t put a book down until I have read it right through. This means that I need a full day to do so and that doesn’t happen too often.
I also admit that I did not read a book until I was almost 30years old, so I could be described as a slow starter. When I first went to college the very first book that I read was one on speed-reading, as I realised that if I did not develop a quick technique, I would not have the time to devote to the subject matter. This stood me in good stead for the types of books that I was required to read at that time. However, when I dipped into my wife’s preferred reading material, I found that the authors filled most of the pages with descriptions of the environment surrounding the storyline, rather than getting on with the story itself.
Many of my wife’s books reflected the work that I was undertaking with disadvantaged and maladjusted people, so reading someone else’s account of their experiences was too much like ‘work’ to be fully appreciated by me.
Obviously, these works were not entirely to my liking, so I decided that it would be more productive for me to write my own stuff, in my own style, which would not necessarily suit a wider audience. My work took the storylines of my clients, from their own perspective (& words), reformulating them into rhyming verse. The end-product was then given back to them for perusal and comment. Often their response would also warrant a further verse or two, which developed into a form of ‘conversation’. It was only after I had formulated a considerable number of similar conversations, that they were ‘collected’ into a book format.
Thus, each rhyme was a shared story emerging and evolving from the actual participants’ (a condensed biography) This, in one sense, made me a ‘ghost-writer’.
In all that time, I have not had the time or the inclination to read many other stories, as my own endeavours have been enough to fill my time, whilst simultaneously catering to other’ individual’s needs to be ‘listened-to’, understood, cared about, and empathised with, in a world where these traits seem sadly lacking (especially for the type of people that are often viewed as ‘undeserving’).
I will, of course, continue to be guided in my other reading by my trusty (avid reading) wife, who still does not believe that I can read a book in a day, when it takes her a lot longer.

Best wishes
Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Past Member

I have never been much of a reader since like Bill it all has to be read in one day. That is why I like to pretend I am fishing while reading or take a few books camping. I am sure I do not nor ever have read the type of books you enjoy give me a good murder mystery. NOW, my passion at one time was ancient Bibles I had one that was 1847 and it was my prize possession. I had a copy of every translation you know King James, New American Standard etc. I had over 50 Bibles most pre dated the 60's when this was when things started to be watered down and all sweet n nice. What I found was so fascinating. I found unicorns, fire breathing dragons, what some people call ufo's, store houses of snow and hail. There were so many fascinating writings in the back of the older Bibles. I had a Baxter's Teachers Bible, in fact it is one of the few I have left. (I had Someone store them while I moved into an RV) they are all gone now and too expensive to ever replace. But, the hunt goes on. I am now doing the biggest study I have ever tried. I am going to compare the Book of Enoch to the Bible. It will take me the rest of my life. Lololo. My other fun hobby is to see what is happening in the world and find the connecting dot in the Bible. I guess most people would not think that is so fun but it intriguing to me. I find plenty of dots. Linda