Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Support | Friendship | Relationships
26,431 members

Hi, folks!

Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:39 am
"This is the best website for people with an Ostomy, hands down. So much understanding. Everyone should join."

Hi, folks! I just ponied up the fee, so you are stuck with me forever, theoretically.
I woke up with an unexpected colostomy 5/25/21. I think I'm mostly handling it with aplomb.
My first post back in the 'trial user' day was a question about rectal mucus. That situation still hasn't changed: After my initial mucus dump fairly immediately after arriving home from the hospital, no more mucus to be had,
I’d like to thank all of you who replied and gave me, as well as other posters, welcoming encouragement.
Cheers!
Riff

Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:18 am

I hope things continue to get better for you. I've had my colostomy about 2 months longer than you so we're both new to this but I knew for months that I'd probably end up with a bag so I was fairly prepared mentally for it. For me, having an ostomy bag isn't an issue but dealing with the aftermath of radiation treatments is. Getting better but still an annoying side effect. Take care. 

MeetAnOstoMate - 26,431 members
Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:20 am

Hello Riff.
Thank you for your positive update and letting us know that you are now a paying subscriber to MAO.
Now you are a little way down the line in acquiring and coming to terms with your stoma, you are in an ideal position to communicate effectively and empathetically with those who are absolute newbie’s.
For people like me, who have been at this game a while, the memories/feelings involved in those early days become faded and/or distorted somewhat. So, people such as you, who have an up-to-date experience, have a valuable contribution to make to help others settle into the routines more quickly than they might otherwise do.
Please keep sharing your experiences as they happen.
Best wishes
Bill

Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:59 am

Hi Riff

Great to hear your here to stay and I'm glad you're settling in with the stoma XX

Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:05 pm

Hi Riff,  Great news that you have decided to stick around!  It sounds like you are adjusting well to this new reality.  As for mucus, it almost seems like there is no "normal".  Some people experience it often and some, not at all.  Mine seems to run hot and cold.  I'll go for months without any sign of it, and then suddenly it's back and occurring frequently.  You just learn to roll with it.

Terry

Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:20 pm

So what do you do about the mucus when it does occur?

Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:22 pm

Bill wrote:

Hello Riff.
Thank you for your positive update and letting us know that you are now a paying subscriber to MAO.
Now you are a little way down the line in acquiring and coming to terms with your stom...

Hi Bill,  Thanks for reminding us that we all have something important to contribute, regardless of how long we've been ostomates.  I remember when all my posts were made for the purpose of seeking advice and how grateful I was for the support and encouragement I got back.  I also remember how good it felt the first time I felt comfortable and confident in giving advice.  It's all the different perspectives and experiences shared that make this such a great resource and source of support.  You are so right that the input from the newbies is equally relevant to the contributions from the seasoned members. 

Terry

Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:01 pm

AlexT wrote:

Hi Alex,  It seems with mucus, everyone is different.  For some people it doesn't seem to be something they can control, and it will suddenly appear in their underwear.  For others, like me, I will get a sensation, like the urge to have a bowel movement, but it's never something that is very strong.  When I do sit down to pee, the mucus will come out at that time.  I've never had it come out without warning.  I'm one of the lucky ones.  I know this topic has been covered before, and if you look in the Premium Content, you may find something.  Others have written about how they deal with it.  Or, you could post a new question about it if you can't find anything.  Good luck!

Terry

Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:53 pm

delgrl525 wrote:

Hi Alex,  It seems with mucus, everyone is different.  For some people it doesn't seem to be something they can control, and it will suddenly appear in their underwear.  For others, like me, I w...

Thanks for the info, I was just wondering. I'm sewn shut on the backside so it's not something I'll have to deal with, just curious. 

Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:56 pm

Bill wrote:

Hello Riff.
Now you are a little way down the line in acquiring and coming to terms with your stom...

Thank you, Bill! As a retired aviation inspector, I know it's important to respect the old-timers' experience while also appreciating what a new set set of eyes can contribute.
Your posts have been inspiring, informative, and amusing.
I'll try to follow suit.
Riff  

Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:08 pm

delgrl525 wrote:

Hi Bill,  Thanks for reminding us that we all have something important to contribute, regardless of how long we've been ostomates.  I remember when all my posts were made for the purpose of seeki...

I liken this to my [*not* rescued, retired] racing greyhound experience. I adopted my first pair in '96 and made every bone-headed mistake to be had. But I learned from my idiocies, especially from being a serial foster mom to the girlies that graded off. At some pont in my GH FB groups, I was able to answer questions backed by experience.
I really appreciate those of you that comfort the newcomers. 

Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:35 pm

AlexT wrote:

Alex? Are you asking me? The very once it did occur, I was on the toilet; never since.

Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:00 pm

riffael wrote:

Alex? Are you asking me? The very once it did occur, I was on the toilet; never since.

Just asking in general as I was just curious what people did about it. 

Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:03 pm

I perodically have mucos rectally and I have my colosttomy for 5 years. The doctor tells me that is not abnormal

Nancy

Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:37 pm

AlexT wrote:

I hope things continue to get better for you. I've had my colostomy about 2 months longer than you so we're both new to this but I knew for months that I'd probably end up with a bag so I was fairl...

Ugh! Don't I know it! Radiation is the worst - It so damaged the wall of the colon just down from the slice for the colostomy that I now have a never-healing area that bleeds, heals, ruptures again, bleeds, etc. ad infinitum. I have been scoped several times, and every time they say there's nothing they can do to stop the bleeding because that whole area is too friable from the radiation. It's why they can't re-connect me, although they thought they could after the first year. Anyway, I've had light anal bleeding fairly constantly for the last 4 years. I now keep the panty-liner people in business. Ha, ha. Gotta laugh, right?

At any rate, like you, I'm quite used to the bag now and have a routine that isn't very difficult at all. I'm glad you're doing OK, and hope you come off with only minimal side-effects from your radiation treatments. Good luck!

Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:46 pm

Newbie Dana wrote:

Ugh! Don't I know it! Radiation is the worst - It so damaged the wall of the colon just down from the slice for the colostomy that I now have a never-healing area that bleeds, heals, ruptures again...

Have you tried Hyperbaric Oxygen(HBO) treatments for healing your radiation damage? Where they zapped me with radiation on my butt opened up a wound just after surgery in March. Started off small and eventually got to be about the size of a .50 coin and about 2.5 inches deep. They tried everything from April until August and it wouldn't heal at all. They finally suggested HBO treatments(40 of them). I went 5 days/week for 2 hrs each day. Started to see healing about halfway thru and then it healed pretty fast after that. I'm still dealing with it a bit and they want me to do another 20 treatments to finish the healing but it's now like a small scab. The HBO treatments somehow allow your damaged cells the ability to rebuild. They use it a lot on skin grafts, burns, wounds that won't heal. I was amazed how many people were doing treatments cause I have never heard of it before I did it. 

Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:29 pm

AlexT wrote:

Have you tried Hyperbaric Oxygen(HBO) treatments for healing your radiation damage? Where they zapped me with radiation on my butt opened up a wound just after surgery in March. Started off small a...

Good advice Alex, and Dana, I can second this.  I have a friend who went through over a year of not healing after her colostomy and cancer surgery and treatment.  She finally tried the Hyperbaric Oxygen treatment and it worked well for her. It sounds like you are dealing with a lot.  Worth giving it a try?

Terry

* Please, do not post contact information, personal information or advertising.