Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Support | Friendship | Relationships
26,431 members

Life does not come with instructions...

Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:54 am
"This is the best website for people with an Ostomy, hands down. So much understanding. Everyone should join."

Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:54 am

Actually it dose come with instructions 

B - basic

I - instructions 

B - before 

L - leaving 

E - earth 

BIBLE ! 😁

MeetAnOstoMate - 26,431 members

Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:20 am

Cplumber wrote:

B - basic

I - instructions 

B - before 

L - leaving 

E - earth 

BIBLE ! 😁

Yes the Holy books of the world are great resources. 

Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:21 pm

Hello Sunflower111. (& Cplumber).

This one took a little thinking about as I agreed with both of you. However, having given the two sets of propositions some thought, my 'alternative' perspective would be that:

1) 'Life' doesn't come with instructions

2) The bible does come with instructions

3) So does a load of other dictats, laws, rules and instructions, where some people have deemed to 'tell' other people what they should do, think, say etc. 

A great many of my rhyming verses have been about 'bullies' who have developed and perfected the art of giving people 'instructions'. However, I like the concept of enjoying life without being 'told' and, needless to say, I have written many times/rhymes about this as well, but will only share one of my efforts with you on this subject on this occasion: 

Best wishes

Bill

‘TELLERS’.

Teachers, preachers and MP’s
appear to always ‘tell’ with ease.
To them it comes impulsively
to me it comes repulsively.

I must be one of very few
who don’t ‘tell’ people what to do.
I’d no more ‘tell’ them what to think
as I would ‘tell’ them what to drink.

For ‘telling’ is the bully’s role
and its main aim is to control.
The ‘teller’ wants to dominate
manipulate and subjugate.

‘Tellers’ often come on strong
for them, all other’s thoughts are wrong.
They think that they are always right
even though they may talk shite.

‘Tellers’ have a preference
for people showing deference.
If you don’t bow-down to their way
it may be you that has to pay.

‘Tellers’ may criticise and scoff
or may simply tell you off.
‘Tellers’ feel they have importance
thus justifying remonstrance.

The ‘teller’ is an orator
but also is a predator.
They look for people they can ‘tell’
and these become their clientele.

You could say that I’m fella
who does not want to be a ‘teller’.
But equally, you will behold
there is no-way I will be ‘told’.

B. Withers 2012

(in: ‘A Rhyming Cookbook’ 2013 p62)

Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:29 pm

My one and only intention was just to post a 'feel good' quote... 

Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:07 pm

You are just a troublemaker Ms Sun  😜😋.  ..It's all in the Interpretation ..CPlumber .....but ...if we do go there !!??    Depends on which part of The Bible  we choose to live by .  There are some pretty harsh / barbaric/ immoral   / murderous  etc  etc....life instructions in The Bible  !! 

My High School  was run by Priests and Christian Brothers  and we never saw the inside of a Bible !!  My theory is that at that age you tend to question everything . We would have been posing very difficult  questions  to our Clergy Teachers  if we had read or studied the Bible . My best instructions for living life came from my Parents and Siblings   who taught by example .  I believe we are almost all innately good , decent people but life circumstances  can alter that radically . 

I actually resent the idea that we can only be good people if we  learn that from the Bible . This implies that we are inherently evil/ bad  and generally not very nice  as soon as we pop out into this world .  Sure enough ,  there are lots of good , common sense rules to live by  in the Bible , in the Koran and all  such texts  but that wisdom is not exclusive to any " Holy Book "  or  " Sacred Text  " . 

My Mom was the closest  to a Saintly person  you could ever see or meet  and I don't  think she ever read an actual Bible  although she was deeply religious ( almost became a  Nun  !!!  Thankfully she met my Dad just in time  LOL....☘💚☘ .where would I be , what would I be or ...would I even  Be !!??  That one decision  meant that  I have a huge extended family on three continents !!  We were really , seriously close to  never being born if my Mom  picked  door number one instead of door number two  !! 😱😱 ,  probably close to  100 people /  Souls  !!  would be floating around in the " Ether"  waiting for our  train to come in  !!   ☘

Sorry to be rambling on so much but I think  it's important to  speak up for all the people who never saw or read any part of the Bible  and yet  live good lives .

Peace and 💚   to all you Baggers iut there and remember the " Golden Rule , treat others as you would  hope you would be treated by others .

☘Eamon .

Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:30 pm

Anonymous wrote:

You are just a troublemaker Ms Sun  😜😋.  ..It's all in the Interpretation ..CPlumber .....but ...if we do go there !!??    Depends on which part of The Bible  we choose to live by .  Th...

I couldn't agree more Eamon.  My mum also, was about as close to a saint as you could get in my opinion, and considered herself an agnostic.  She said that if she had any inclination towards any specific religion, it would be one that embraced reincarnation, because she liked the idea that we all were given the chance to redeem ourselves or better ourselves. My brother and I were sent to sunday school, I'm sure at my dad's insistence, just so we could get a taste, or grounding, in religion, then allowed to make up our own minds. My dad had been brought up in a very devout family, but I always felt that my mum was the one who made him a better person.  Whether you believe in God or not has no bearing on how good of a person you are, how kind, compassionate, tolerant, ethical, honest and decent you are.  From the moment of your birth, what kind of person you become is probably the result of a combination of nature and nurture, but that is a conversation for another time!

Cheers,

Terry  

Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:47 pm

Cplumber wrote:

B - basic

I - instructions 

B - before 

L - leaving 

E - earth 

BIBLE ! 😁

Cplumber, you are SO right, I thought the same thing and saw your post before I could post.

Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:04 am

Anonymous wrote:

Hello sunflower111. 

This intention was much appreciated and indeed had the desired effect. 

Best wishes

Bill

Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:07 am

Anonymous wrote:

The words are wise and good for the soul , the background matches perfectly . 

Thank you Karen X 

Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:26 pm

delgrl525 wrote:

I couldn't agree more Eamon.  My mum also, was about as close to a saint as you could get in my opinion, and considered herself an agnostic.  She said that if she had any inclination towards any ...

A-men to that Terry.

Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:53 pm

Thanks for another instructional rhyme, Bill. Thanks also to Sally and Cplumber for your thoughts. Though I’ve never seen written instructions for life I certainly read lots of rules in books, on placards, parchment scrolls and even carved in stone. I think some of these represent what Bill is alluding to. I didn’t read enough of the replies here before getting on my pulpit but a belated thank you to Eamon who seems to have had experiences similar to mine. Twelve years of Catholic Schooling, an Alter Boy until Junior year in high school, a Felician Nun aunt and school principal, a Felician Nun cousin and teaching pharmacist and two Franciscan priests for cousins helped me get pretty close to the church and religion stuff. I’m not sure what “instructions” I got from that environment except we could use a bible to justify almost anything, try not to get caught doing the bad things and there’s always confession and absolution if we believe in a punitive Creator. Eamon writes about feelings similar to mine and, if we went further, even the definitions of “good” versus “bad” could be interpreted very differently. Unfortunately, or not, there are some folks here at MAO who prefer we don’t get into religion so I won’t go much further but I don’t think folks are GOOD just because they go to church or don’t double park or never exceed a speed limit. I consider them NOT BAD for those things. Bill’s Bullies are all bad even if they wear a collar. Sally’s one and only intention, IMHO, was more than satisfied. I also think Cplumber, Eamon and lots of other folks here are on the same page.
As Eamon concludes with the Golden Rule, I too want to treat others as I wish to be treated but I must first deserve that treatment and recognize that sometimes we are just being human.
Respectfully,
Mike

Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:11 pm

iMacG5 wrote:

Thanks for another instructional rhyme, Bill. Thanks also to Sally and Cplumber for your thoughts. Though I’ve never seen written instructions for life I certainly read lots of rules in books, on...

Thank you Mike

* Please, do not post contact information, personal information or advertising.