Need Advice for Damaged Stoma Skin

Replies
Views
Panko

Hi, I just did a bit of research the other night on parastomal hernias and prolapsed stomas.

Well, I found a UK company who have invented some really good stoma products for the skin using Manuka Honey!

It almost feels like finding the Holy Grail of pouches and flange extenders!

The company is called CliniMed Limited, Cavell House, Knaves Beech Way, Loudwater, High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire.

iMacG5

Hopefully I'm not boring you folks but I need to repeat, "Any unprotected skin will get damaged".  I've done all the experimenting like you and, after getting the skin healed, I make certain to "protect" the skin around the stoma with 3M Cavilon No Sting Barrier Film Wipes.  I use two.  I wipe the area with one, let it dry with the help of a hair dryer, then wipe the 2nd one around the stoma and let it dry.  It only takes a minute or so.  The ConvaTec Natural Moldable skin barriers I use cover all the skin so it's completely protected.  Mine is a colostomy and it sticks far out enough to accept this process.    

So happy you got all these good folks to help and can't wait to hear from you after the healing and your new procedure.

Respectfully,

Mike

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,366 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member
Reply to iMacG5

I also use the 3M Cavilon No Sting Barrier Film Wipes. I have had no issues.

iMacG5

Hey folks, I forgot to mention another thought you probably know all about.  Sorry.  The length of time between changes needs to be considered.  Though I think I'm  very fortunate to go seven days between changes I would be afraid to go too far beyond that.  I think it might be too difficult to remove the wafer as the the skin might try to "grow" into it.  Changing frequently, especially several times in one day can cause excoriation of the skin as the adhesive tries to take some surface skin every time.

Again, we need to get the skin healthy first.

Mike

Panko

Sobaderm - Just discovered this barrier spray that dries in 30 seconds to put a thin film between your pouch.

Great if you are sore, raw or blistered. This will protect your skin.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Homie With A Stomie NS

Hi Mira25, suggestion: make sure when you apply the ring that you only stretch it out to as close around the base of the stoma as possible. Apply it separately from the appliance and when you cut a hole in the appliance, again, close as possible to the stoma. Shower at least once per week, no vag, give your area a fresh, good clean, then reapply. Hope you find a solution fast, my friend.