Does your stoma have a name?

Replies
Views
Rhian

Hi, I've named my stoma 'Henry', does anyone else name theirs or am I the only crackpot?!! It's a kind of 'friend' who never leaves my side, and though I hate it, sometimes I'm relieved I have him when the tum gets watery for no apparent reason... mine blows while the 'Henry Hoover' sucks... and in my experience most men are assholes (no offense guys!) so it had to have a man's name!!! Sometimes I put smiley faces on the bags...

lottagelady

I haven't as yet, other than my stinky little friend, but you will find that you are not alone! xx

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,362 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

vickicat

Hi
Mine is called Fred Gucci. His behavior is atrocious. I'm sending him to Stoma Borstal !!

Past Member

I always think of my stoma as a woman. High maintenance.

narrator

I edited a newsletter for an ostomy support group for 22 years and used to receive newsletters from other groups. It is amazing how many times I saw articles on naming the stoma. Pretty wild...I was one that named mine. Riley, as in Life with Riley. (I know, it was before my time too, but I had heard of the show and it seemed appropriate.) It made it easier to refer to it when it was making noises like when my wife would say, "There goes Riley."

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
facingmyfears
Wow, are you bitter?
Past Member
Wow, are you bitter????        

lol... No,    I had an ileostomy for 18 years, I always used to say I thought of it as a man perfect    in every way just like me. Then 2 years ago I had a Jejunostomy, they have a very watery and    high output.    So I decided to think of the jejunostomy as a woman.    Some of my nurses call it a dreaded jeji.
facingmyfears

Lol... No, nbsp; nbsp;I had an ileostomy for 18 years. I always used to say I thought of it as a man, perfect nbsp; nbsp;in every way just like me. Then 2 years ago, I had a Jejunostomy. They have a very watery and nbsp; nbsp;high output. nbsp; nbsp;So I decided to think of the jejunostomy as a woman. nbsp; nbsp;Some of my nurses call it a dreaded jeji.   nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp;

Ok. Not bitter, you just don't hold women in very high regard. nbsp; nbsp; Sorry, I'm just in a lot of pain right now and your comment (relating women to 'high maintenance') simply rubbed me the wrong way. nbsp; nbsp;I never make blanket derogatory statements about men, so when I see those statements about women (no matter how innocuous), I cringe. Normally, I would just click next, but like I said, I'm in a lot of pain... oh, no, does that make me 'high maintenance'???? nbsp; nbsp;Trying to add levity. nbsp; nbsp;
Jax

I named my Mr. Wilson as that is the name of the professor (Doctor) that created mine in the UK. He was a nice man and it seemed appropriate. It was either that or my ex-hubby's name and then it would have made the relationship very difficult...

I am happy to have him as he gurgles through dinner and blows off at the most inappropriate times... LOL

JAx

sherl1

Hi Rhian, good to hear that you have named your stoma. I have a name for mine as well, it is called "Pistol" because it sometimes squirts all over the place when I am putting on a new pouch. I think everybody should give their stoma a pet name, it is part of you, and what would you do without it? Please don't think that all men are assholes, not this one I hope.
All the best to you. Mike x

Shitbag

I call mine "Little Shitter" - what else!

wend

Hi, my stoma is called Harry! No reason really, just seemed to have stuck when I came out of the hospital 11 weeks ago. It was my daughter's suggestion. I find it hard getting used to the wind pain you get sometimes before the noisy wind comes. It can be quite painful! Does anybody else experience this?

I must say I love this site! I love the way you all help each other! Keep up the good work!

Wend

lottagelady
Welcome! Wendy and Harry, nice to see you here .... Rachel xx
vulcanBMk2

Hmmmmmm Wend Harry---High Class ladies shoes.

Wend Harry---Hair stylists to the Stars.

Wend Harry---Quality Perfume.

Wend Harry---Cadillac Distributors

Wend Harry --Purvayors of High Quality Foods to the Aristocracy.

And Topping our Bill Tonight, that amazing Singing Duo

Wend Harry!!

Just Thinking out Loud .......But you never know anything is possible ....

Welcome, it's nice to have you here!

Willie Stoma
I named my stoma Willie Stoma and today is his first birthday. I am teaching him to play the trumpet, but all he seems to be able to do is make noise.
He has become a good friend and travels with me wherever I go.

Willie
Past Member

Happy birthday, Willie Stoma.
gutenberg
I was going to call mine asshole but then my witty brother had to say, "how's it going, asshole and how about your stoma, eh," doing all right I can see. There's always payback time in my family but I think I'm still ahead.
Spiritual Living

I call mine Cherry, or Juicy Cherry 'cause it looks like a cherry sticking out of my belly. Sometimes I call it Button, but Juicy Cherry sounds nicer, depending on the situation...

Past Member

I have also got a name for my stoma. It is Arthur. I have no idea why. I am having it reversed in a few months but am very nervous as I only went in to have an ovarian cyst removed last time. I ended up nearly dying, in intensive care, and having an ileostomy bag.

lottagelady

Hi Delrene and Arthur, welcome to the forum and your first post! Sorry you have had to go through that, there are a few on here who have also had docs with slippery hands... good luck with your reversal, Rach xx

groovyheaven

My colostomy doesn't really have a name, but I used to refer to it as "My Side" and it kinda stuck, so whenever I speak about it I just talk about my side. Before I had my colostomy, I had an ACE (Antegrade Continence Enema) Stoma. My first trip out after I had this op - I was 9 - I had a KFC and got a free ACE Lightning toy. It was therefore known as Lightning! Bit random, but seemed to fit at the time!

Katman

I used to live in Vancouver, BC for 3 years and became acquainted with some of the wildlife, more specifically their banana slugs: great big, huge yellow slimy slugs that not only pop when stepped on, they can kill you by rivaling Teflon in slipperiness!

When I awoke from surgery (not expecting any "company") I looked down and saw this "thing" on my stomach. It looked not too unlike one of these slugs. A few days later (when things started to work) I looked down and being coated in bile, it was even the right color. So, "Slug" it has been.

Now if only it would slow down to some sluggish speeds! It pumps so fast it could outpace BP oil! (Sorry... perhaps that's too close to home...)

Katman

Nicky-T

Not!

But, back on subject, since everyone else seems to have named their new little friends, I thought I would just call mine Lakehurst, NJ.

What? You never heard of Lakehurst? Try Google.com

NT

funnygurl

I was told 6 years ago that I had to name my stoma in order to accept my new reality. Not! My stoma saved my life and gave me my quality of life back. I am forever grateful to my surgeon and thank him every time I go for a colonoscopy. Judging from his reaction, he is not accustomed to this. LOL. Having said that, my stoma is not my friend or an alter-ego. It is a part of my body that requires regular maintenance and attention, but it does not rule my life. It is incidental. I have no intention of giving it an identity or importance that it does not deserve.

oldcoach

Mine has no name. Although if I were to give it a name, I would probably call it Peter the Second. It's just another appendage hanging out there. One thing I did, however, to assist in the wearing of the pouch more comfortably and not to have to worry about hairs being ripped out when I change it, I had electrolysis done on my abdomen. It is so much better than trying to shave quickly while the pouch is off. Just needed to find an understanding electrologist that was willing to work with me.

Past Member

Whoever said you had to is under a misconception.
Past Member

I call mine Prada,
Yes, I am the devil. LOL

Past Member

No, you're not a crackpot. I have had two stomas. The first one was "Billy" and the second, after a failed reversal, is "Billy No Mates" because I really did not want him.

Plus, when you're out with family, etc., it sounds better to say "just going to check Billy" rather than going to empty my bag.

Just go with whatever helps you. It's not mad!!

freakyfairy

Mine is Eric!
And with fear of upsetting people....I decided it had to be a male as it had been a pain in my a**e and talked a load of shit and was constantly farting!! Teehee!
An Australian friend of mine has named his Alice.....as in Alice? Who the F**k is Alice! Which is what strangers would say if she was brought up in conversation and yes his had to be female as she demands attention when she wants it not when he wants to give it!! Another friend has named hers Gucci, so she can always claim she has a Gucci bag!

x x

tragicallydave

Re: Naming Stoma?

Where does your stoma end, and your self begin?