Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates Support | Friendship | Relationships 21,246 members

Does your stoma have a name?

Talk to people who understand you Sign up today - for many, our community has been a life-changing experience.
Sun May 20, 2012 4:31 pm
Haha...my daughter named my stoma "Stella," because it's amusing to exclaim "STELLLAA!!!" when it's acting up.
Sun May 20, 2012 6:58 pm
I'm sorry but I don't get the thing about giving my stoma a name. I've had my stoma for 41 yrs and have never had the thought of giving it a name.
It doesn't make it go away or make life any better because the stoma has a name.
It's a stoma and that's what I call it.Sorry if that upsets any one, not meant too but I just don't understand the need to name the stoma.
Gee07
Sun May 20, 2012 7:42 pm
I think it has something to do with having a healthy need to laugh at the ridiculousness of our condition...a coping mechanism, if you will.   I've always valued self-reliance...when I first looked down at this thing I now had to live with, I wondered, "How am I supposed to survive in the wilderness with this thing?"  

Each of us has been through the wringer to varying degrees...and each of us has our own way of dealing with it.  For me, it has been laughter and the company of good friends.
Kindest regards,
fuzzland
Sun May 20, 2012 7:42 pm
I dont get this whole namimg your stoma thing,if your a child i can understand that but full grown adults naming a red blob is plain daft,its bowel at the end of the day.
Sun May 20, 2012 8:23 pm

fuzzland wrote:

Each of us has been through the wringer to varying degrees...and each of us has our own way of dealing with it.  For me, it has been laughter and the company of good friends.
Kindest regards,
fuzzland

Sun May 20, 2012 8:34 pm

boothwink wrote:
I dont get this whole namimg your stoma thing,if your a child i can understand that but full grown adults naming a red blob is plain daft,its bowel at the end of the day.

We give names to things or persons for any number of reasons. Why would someone with a nice name like John, for instance, ever want to call himself Primeboy? Why do more and more parents come up with exotic names for their kids as well as their pets? Would Facebook by any other name still be Facebook? I have heard it said that the ancients believed to name something was to control it. Well, for many here, naming a stoma might just be their way to get a handle on it.    PB
Sun May 20, 2012 8:55 pm
Excellent insight, Primeboy...what a great post!
Mon May 21, 2012 5:18 am
Susan, So very funny. Your reply made me laugh..................
Can't think for one minute why your surgeon didn't think it funny.
Could be cos he had a penis
Gee07
Tue May 22, 2012 1:42 am

boothwink wrote:

it's the end of said bowel; and some coping mechanisms are just timeless...
Tue May 22, 2012 2:07 am
only a guy could make such a mess and not care....

So mine is named HUGO although ostomater was also used at one time. I have also called it a few other names that are not nice at all.
Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:40 pm
there once was a stoma named Mumbles
who wanted all there was but wasn't humble
he barked and he spewed
hoping she would give him more than he knew
but never did she invite him for a three-some
Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:34 am
Hi again guys! Instead of my (was) colostomy called 'Henry', I now have an ileostomy, since February - but I felt I couldn't call it the same name - plus I realised most men are NOT ass holes, I now call it 'Henrietta'...partly because I DO believe women CAN be high maintenance too (I have acknowledged I can be lol!), but mainly because I've accepted it far more than my 'Henry', as being part of me, therefore female! I was asked if I wanted to be 'joined up', but I declined - having 'out the blue' frequent 'whooshes'. I'm in remission apparently, after four years, but the only real difference is that I no longer pass out bags and bags of blood, or the shivering/sweating cycle as much, I still have the constant morning sickness, can't eat most fruit or veg or dairy still, and have bad tummy pains and lethargy - but hey, you can't have it all eh lol! At least it makes much more discreet 'noises' that of course ALL of us ladies are lol!!!
Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:15 am
mines called rosebudd because my stoma look's like a rose petal just a shame it doesn't smell like a rose lol
Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:40 am
i'm startin to feel left-out cause i never named mine
Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:37 am
As long as mine behaves its a stoma, otherwise the names I call it would be deleted, and rightly so.
Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:53 pm
I have named mine George after the Bugs Bunny Cartoon  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JlVqfC8-UI

I will love him and squeeze him and pet him and pat him and he will be my friend.  Sometimes we are joined at the hip.  Sometimes he is a pain in my side.
Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:10 pm
I named  my stoma Rudolph..He has a wet shiny red nose and he loves to snort and play in sh*t. He is a definite brown noser...LOL
Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:49 am
I had my urostomy done when I was 5yrs old at Great Ormond Street hospital London,and after the operation a nurse came to change the bag and named my stoma Charlie Cherry, 40 yrs later I still use the same name.
Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:13 pm
No, and I don't understand why people name their stomas.  I've had mine for 40 years.  Actually, I'm on my 5th one.  Would you name your right hand?  Your leg?  Any other body part?   IMO, naming the stoma isn't accepting it as simply a part of your body that has been relocated.
Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:05 pm

LilyJ wrote:
. . . I don't understand why people name their stomas . . . Would you name your right hand?  Your leg?  Any other body part? . . .

Hi Lily ~ some people name them because their stomas have minds of their own and sometimes misbehave at the most inappropriate of times.  If their hands had a tendency to unexpectedly slap them in their faces, or their legs to kick them in their a_ _ es, or their mouths to make peculiar sounds in public places, they would probably also feel inclined to name their hands and legs and mouths!  
Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:29 am
when it's something new to a person and whatever helps them deal then more power to them
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.