Anxiety about pouch change - Seeking advice and support

Replies
Views
Abefroman1969

So far so good, it's staying with no leakage, it's the last of the Hollister samples, I hope my Coloplast order gets here before the next change otherwise it's back to Convatec 2 piece jobs that I think I've been pretty clear that I do not like them. I'll make whatever I have here work for the Thursday change and not get too cocky prior to the stoma nurse showing up for our weekly check-in. I want to go horizontal again so I can wear my belt. The rest of my "ostomy fashion" is on order and won't be here this week. I want to be able to use my horizontal belt for my field trip!

Earth Angel
Reply to RaenotRay

I agree with you 100%, Rae. If you don't laugh, you'll cry, and I'd much rather laugh - I do it often. I think it makes it much more bearable when you can laugh at yourself.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,450 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Earth Angel
Reply to RaenotRay

Rae, I agree with you 100%! If you don't laugh, you'll cry, and I'd much rather be laughing. It's good to learn to laugh at yourself as it makes all the hard times much more bearable. Keep laughing!

AlexT

Paul, Abe, whatever your name is, what size is your stoma in mm?

Abefroman1969
Reply to AlexT

It's Paul

Currently it's 50 mm

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Abefroman1969

My eBay shower caps arrived today! I got 3 for $7. The opening needs no adjustment. The one I bought at Ultra last week needs to be sewn to work as a shower pouch protector.
My eBay caps have about a 3" elasticized round opening. I'm excited to shower more often with these protecting the pouch from getting soaking wet!

Past Member
Reply to Abefroman1969

Shower emoji, fun emoji, stoma emoji, sunshine emoji

RaenotRay
Reply to Earth Angel

Laugh or cry, and laughing is much less embarrassing in public. I'm glad laughing helps you too, EA.

hambo999

Hi Paul, it's really hard at first. It does get easier over time. I find that my eating times in relation to bag changes is very important, and I also use a product purchased on eBay called a Ricksack. It is a soft bucket-shaped item that fits around you and is lined with a disposable bag. It catches everything and you then just put all your waste products in and remove the bag and tie it off when finished. I have had a stoma for about 16 months now and the stuff I came home with was pretty poor and I had lots of leaks and sore skin. I have now tried many products and have settled with Salts barrier wipes before application, then a Salts mouldable seal which I apply to the SenSura baseplate, then put over my stoma with 3 flange extenders, and then the SenSura Mio bag clicks on. Every now and then I will try something different but always come back to this. You are doing well and I hope you find a system that suits you. ATB, Hamish.

AlexT
Reply to Abefroman1969

Dang, I was hoping by chance it would be 38mm, I have a couple boxes that I'll never use.

Abefroman1969
Reply to hambo999

Could you provide a link to that eBay item? My search comes up with "rucksack" and nothing for "Ricksack".

AlexT
Reply to Abefroman1969

You should wear some Underoos, the nurses love seeing them, especially Paw Patrol ones.

RaenotRay
Reply to AlexT

I agree! Paw Patrol is all the rage in our house.

Abefroman1969
Reply to AlexT

This should seal the deal with my hospital nurse Amanda, Nightingale syndrome hard on that one. Paw Patrol you say, I'm going shopping!

AlexT
Reply to Abefroman1969

Fireman Sam is good too but hard to find and pricey. I've got a Mr. Bubbles t-shirt that gets good responses. I had some Oscar Mayer boxers but I'm not sure where I left them.

Past Member
Reply to Abefroman1969

We will need pictures! Picture emoji, heart emoji, laugh emoji

AlexT
Reply to Anonymous

Yeah Paul. Pictures or it didn't happen... buddy.

RaenotRay
Reply to AlexT

I was just going to say that. I think Disney Chip 'n' Dale ones would be pretty ironic.

AlexT
Reply to RaenotRay

The search is on.

AlexT
Reply to RaenotRay

See my profile pictures and let me know if they would be okay

Past Member
Reply to RaenotRay

Hey Rae... Is it ironic that squirrels like nuts?

RaenotRay
Reply to AlexT

They're perfect.

RaenotRay
Reply to Anonymous

I was thinking of the male dancers "Chippendales". (I think that's how it's spelled.) Kind of a play on words/meanings.

Past Member
Reply to RaenotRay

Oh right, those guys. LOL, duh! 😉

RaenotRay
Reply to Anonymous

That's my brain today too.

Past Member
Reply to RaenotRay

Thanks, Rae.

Abefroman1969
Reply to Anonymous

I have a picture of Amanda if that's what you want to see! Oh, I get it, y'all are talking underpants still..

Abefroman1969
Reply to AlexT

I have a Dale stuffed animal from my trip to Disneyland back in '85, you are talking about strippers/peelers though...

Abefroman1969
Reply to Anonymous

This conversation has turned blue!

Abefroman1969
Reply to AlexT

I'll have to post those in my profile since I still can't figure out how to insert them in posts! I'm well aware of the "pics or it didn't happen" rule!