Seeking Advice on Fistula Repair, Reversal, and Midline Incision

Replies
Views
RaenotRay

Hi friends!

I have surgery coming up on April 14th to repair a rectovaginal fistula at the point of anastomosis. (Where my sweet ileostomy started) If the surrounding tissue looks good, my surgeon may reverse my ileostomy. (I know, shock and disappointment..) ‍ I'm also in need of having my midline incision taken down, reinforced, and repaired. I have a few questions I hope y'all might have some experience with.

1. Has anyone had this type of fistula repair or something similar? What should I expect in terms of healing, pain, and the process in general?

2. If I get my reversal, can I stay? I love y'all, and the friendships I've made here. I'm honestly thinking I'd like to volunteer or go to school to help amazing ostomates in some capacity.

3. Has anyone had to have their midline incision redone? How long after the initial surgery was it? Was it able to be repaired robotically, or was a full reopen necessary?

I can't thank y'all enough for the love, support, humor, and friendship you've shown me. It's tough to be vulnerable or ask for help. It helps to have all these amazing people championing one another along.

Hopefully the emojis work here. &zwj

-Rae

Cplumber

Emoji's work. Yes, all people are needed here. Even ones that get reconnected and move back to the dark side. I see questions about reversals all the time, and since I will never ever be able to add my 3 1/2 cents (inflation) it would be neat to have peeps around to help!

Good luck. I will be praying for you!

Cplumber

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,426 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Oh Rae, you must stay!!! You are in the Cool Kids club now for life!!!

Sending you so much love and light for quick healing.

&zwj

AlexT

I'd still pick you for my kickball team.

Ebony&Ivory

I don't have any experience with that procedure. I wish you all the best and am praying for a successful procedure, a speedy recovery, and complete healing.

E I

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
AlexT

You wanna sit on dirty public toilets again? WTF?

Past Member

Ditto to the replies above!

You have to stay anyway and let us know how it all works out, I am sure it will be a success.

Positive vibes heading your way,

Jo

RaenotRay
Reply to Cplumber

I'm so glad the emojis work! I'm really glad I got to leave the dark side for a while. As much as I never would have asked for this, it's held so many blessings. Thank you for the prayers, and for keeping me around. &zwj

RaenotRay
Reply to Anonymous

You have no idea how much that means to me, Sally! I still want to come visit you and go on all the adventures.

RaenotRay
Reply to AlexT

But would I be your first pick?

RaenotRay
Reply to Ebony&Ivory

Thank you so much! Prayers are greatly appreciated. I'll be sending love your way too.

RaenotRay
Reply to AlexT

Well, I am a girl.. Standing isn't a 100% process.

Past Member
Reply to RaenotRay

Yes! Come visit as long as you want! It will be so much fun!

RaenotRay
Reply to Anonymous

Aww, thank you Jo! I'll definitely keep y'all updated. I'm sure there are still some shenanigans in my future we can all laugh about. I'm sending love your way too!

AlexT
Reply to RaenotRay

You have doubt? You're lucky I don't know what hospital you'll be at, your last name ....you might get flowers sent to you from an old dweeb.

RaenotRay
Reply to AlexT

My kids are starting to wonder why I'm always smiling at my phone like a foolish schoolgirl. They probably think I'm on Tinder.

AlexT
Reply to RaenotRay

Well, we are swapping undies.

RaenotRay
Reply to AlexT

Haha, true story.

Axl

Hi Rae

I hope you get all that you deserve with your next journey.

You better come back, you're one of the good guys x ... lol

RaenotRay
Reply to Axl

Axl,

Coming from you, that is the highest compliment. I'm just never going to leave.

-Rae

AlexT
Reply to RaenotRay

What is this Tinder thing you know so much about?

RaenotRay
Reply to AlexT

Haha, I know nothing about that one. I could share horror stories about Plenty of Fish though. Not the site per se, but the interesting people.

Abefroman1969

You better stay here, I wish nothing but the best for you and this procedure. You and Sally and I have plans so you better not disappear on us!

Past Member
Reply to Abefroman1969

That's right! More fun to be had this year!

ron in mich

Hi Rae, good luck with surgery. As for the incision, the surgeon for my resection surgery a few years ago asked me what I thought of the scar after he removed the staples. He was proud of his work and compared to the old one, which looked like a flattened nightcrawler worm, it was smooth and had no lumps along it. However, the incision where my old stoma was is like a pothole on a muddy road.

Footie97

Hey there. I was lucky enough to be reversed after about 3 months. I still check in on this group a couple of times per week and offer advice on my experience from initial surgery to reversal surgery when I can.

I have had 4 open abdominal surgeries over the past 18 months and decided to have scar revision 5ish months after my last open procedure to make my abdomen look as good as it can. I ended up having my belly button removed due to issues with it becoming detached. It was an invasive procedure but did not go into the abdomen itself so it was easier recovery. I would recommend that type of surgery when you are completely healed from reversal. I wanted to be as sure as I could be that I was not going to need another open procedure. Just my 2 cents.
Good luck

Clint

RaenotRay
Reply to Abefroman1969

I'm definitely staying, and I can't wait for our adventures! One day we'll look back and laugh at all these early conversations.

RaenotRay
Reply to ron in mich

Thank you! That's really interesting about your incision. Mine is pretty gnarly, but I would probably leave it if it was just cosmetic. How was recovery from your reversal?

RaenotRay
Reply to Footie97

Clint,

I feel so normal now. I've had 4 abdominal surgeries so far. My tummy is a hot mess, but honestly doesn't bother me too much. Although my bellybutton does point to the left now.

Initially my surgeon was going to have another surgeon operating at the same time and complete the midline repair. Now they're leaning to waiting to give the scars some time to soften. I'm glad to hear your perspective on waiting. I'm anxious to not need any more surgery. How was your reversal?

Thanks for sticking around.

-Rae

Footie97
Reply to RaenotRay

Mine was a nightmare, not the surgery but my intestines did not start working for close to 3 weeks and a large portion of that in ICU. The surgery itself was no worse than a colostomy procedure, painful yes but manageable. My belly button pointed to the right and caused minor infections of my midline scar. I sure don't miss it at all. I am glad I waited several months as my incision looked okay when I first talked to plastic surgery but got worse over time. My doctor was glad we waited because what she would have done early on would not have lasted over time. We had to be more aggressive for a good result. I am happy with my outcome!

Best of luck

Clint

Let me know if you have any specific questions!