Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Support | Friendship | Relationships
26,430 members

Happiness is a Sad Song

Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:42 pm
"This is the best website for people with an Ostomy, hands down. So much understanding. Everyone should join."

That’s a Charlie Brown quote, right?

Well, either way, what’s your favorite sad song?

I added a new one to my favorite sad songs. Background is that I have lived on the coast of New England all of my life, and lived the life of an ocean going girl.  Part of that culture has been listening to Shanty music since I was very small. My Dad then brother were Shanty singers who performed with others at local coffeehouses.  And they were dory men who sang their Shanty songs as they rowed in various competitions. So when Shanty Singers became popular in the past few years there were some of us who rolled our eyes, and thought, well duh, a tradition hundreds of years old. I still go to Shanty sings in Gloucester, especially if Bill Coffin is in town. 

When the documentary Fisherman’s Friends came out, I was delighted by it and it’s popularity among those unfamiliar with Shanty music. One of the songs from that documentary is my favorite sad song… “Widow Woman.”  Look it up. Listen to that solo tenor and the story he tells. It’s haunting.  I’ve lived near the men who go down in ships. This song hits home. Think of The Perfect Storm crew and others that our fishing fleet has lost to the storms of New England. 

Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:01 pm

I love that type of music and singing . The English and Irish Traditional music is similar in many ways but are also distinctly different . The equivalent of Sea Shanty music in Ireland is called  " Sean-Nos " ( Noois , pronounced )  and means  " Old Style " . Usually it's one person,  A Capella . It has that same haunting quality . In an Irish Pub has a Sean-Nos  singer you could hear a pin drop , everyone just stops when the singer begins .  Like the Sea Shanties they usually tell sad tales of lost love and family , having to leave home knowing you would never come back and maybe never see the family again . Most will bring a tear to your eye . 

Going to find it and have a listen . 

Eamon  ☘

MeetAnOstoMate - 26,430 members

Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:10 pm

I just listened to their youtube  pieces , great stuff . The one on the beach has bits of Irish  Trad in there with the Accordion (  " Drunken Sailor " ) . 

We have an enormous beach nearby , it would be such a great place to have a concert ...if it didn't rain every five minutes !!! 

Eamon  ☘

Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:46 pm

When I think of sad songs, I think of Patsy Cline.  I may be wrong, but it seems like all of her hits were about her being the love affair loser, songs like 'She's Got You' and 'I Fall to Pieces' and a number of others.

Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:59 pm

I love this music too.  I was born and raised on the west coast, and can't imagine living anywhere that I'm not close to the sea.  My ancestors came from the old country and landed in Boston harbour in 1632, and there are many of them still on the east coast.  Others migrated west and many to Canada's west coast.  The traditions are still strong, including the music.  I love the Shanties, particularly the really lively ones.  We have some good friends who formed a band called "The Stoaters", who played at local pubs all over, and toured in The States a few times.  Sadly they have disbanded for lack of work.  Things are hard for people wanting to play live music these days.

Terry

Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:52 pm

I too love the sea Shanties! 🍁🌊  I am from the East Coast of Canada. 😊🍁

Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:03 pm

Anonymous wrote:

I love that type of music and singing . The English and Irish Traditional music is similar in many ways but are also distinctly different . The equivalent of Sea Shanty music in Ireland is called ...

I have been witness to the beauty of your Sean-No’s”. My niece married an Irishman and his whole dear family came from Dublin for the North Carolina wedding. At my brother’s outdoor patio (gorgeous) we all gathered. And the Irish Uncle Jerry brought on a song for us.  And each Irishman followed, one by one. We did this every night for a week. I’ll never forget that time. What a lovely tradition. My brother who was the Shanty Singer as a young man shared a great rousing “Drunken Sailor” and impressed our new friends from across the pond. 

Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:06 pm

Anonymous wrote:

I have been witness to the beauty of your Sean-No’s”. My niece married an Irishman and his whole dear family came from Dublin for the North Carolina wedding. At my brother’s outdoor patio (go...

What a beautiful experience. ❤️

Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:17 pm

Anonymous wrote:

What a beautiful experience. ❤️

It truly was. That dear brother died in January 2020 and when I think of him, I run a movie of that entire week through my head….. and smile. 

Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:19 pm

Anonymous wrote:

It truly was. That dear brother died in January 2020 and when I think of him, I run a movie of that entire week through my head….. and smile. 

Oh Angela, I am so sorry for your loss. What a beautiful memory to have of him. {{{Hugs}}} ❤️

Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:57 pm

I dearly love the ocean. I was raised for the most part on Whidbey Island here in Washington. My dad was a Navy man. I’d love to see the world from your perspective. So fascinating. ❤️

Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:41 pm

RaenotRay wrote:

I dearly love the ocean. I was raised for the most part on Whidbey Island here in Washington. My dad was a Navy man. I’d love to see the world from your perspective. So fascinating. ❤️

Hey Rae,  We are more neighbours than I realized!  For most of my life, I spent my summers on Savary Island, one of the more central gulf islands off the B.C. coast.  We now have a summer cottage on Saturna Island, which is the most southern of the gulf islands and so close to the San Juans that you could practically throw a stone at the closest one, Waldron.  Do you still spend time on Widbey?

Terry

Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:47 pm

delgrl525 wrote:

Hey Rae,  We are more neighbours than I realized!  For most of my life, I spent my summers on Savary Island, one of the more central gulf islands off the B.C. coast.  We now have a summer cottag...

Terry,

I do spend a lot of time on Whidbey still. It’s 45 minutes from Bellingham. My sister’s birthday is the 2nd of September, so we’re often camping at Deception Pass Labor Day weekend. We are so close, yay!

Rae

* Please, do not post contact information, personal information or advertising.