Bowel Prep with Ostomy: Tips & Laughs for Surgery Recovery!

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic shares tips and humorous experiences to help with bowel prep and recovery after ostomy surgery.
StPetie
Reply to RaenotRay

Packing! Ugh. I don't mind surgery, recovery or hospital stays. But I freakin' hate packing.

Sounds like things are progressing nicely for you. I'm glad and hope that trend continues. Thanks for the update and condolences on the packing.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,086 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

RaenotRay
Reply to StPetie

You are so right about the packing. I had to pack my midline, and I couldn't even see it. Now I tear up every time I pack this one, and it's not even that bad.

Thank you so much for the kind words.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
AlexT
Reply to RaenotRay

WTH, let's see what you got.

RaenotRay
Reply to AlexT

Okay, yucky pics going up in my bio.

AlexT
Reply to RaenotRay

So, why don't they stitch your stoma opening closed? I have no smart ass reply coming, I'm just asking because I figured they'd stitch it closed. BTW, if you took your stoma picture, made it a little smaller, moved it to my butt, you'd have about an exact picture of what my radiation wound looked like before doing hyperbaric oxygen treatments. You all are welcome for that visual.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member
Reply to RaenotRay

Looks like the Eye of Sauron from Lord of the Rings, "few could endure its terrible gaze" but I'm sure you will close that mofo's eye with no problems at all!

Healing vibes and hugs headed your way Rae!

AlexT
Reply to Anonymous

The Eye of Rae. Sorry, Jo set me up for that, it was too easy. You can throat punch me if you want.

RaenotRay
Reply to AlexT

Definitely a steamy mental image, Alex.

The surgeon doesn't close the opening because it's dirty from housing the stoma. Every day, I have to clean out the opening and pack it lightly with gauze before taping it up. It heals from the inside out in 4-8 weeks.

RaenotRay
Reply to Anonymous

I love this! I'm definitely going to blind this bastard! Thanks, Jo!

RaenotRay
Reply to AlexT

It actually made me feel pretty cool. We'll save that throat punch.

Past Member
Reply to RaenotRay

I'm glad you are on the mend, Rae. Looks like you have the makings of some beautiful scars. We have to be our own kind of beautiful.

Meadow Snow

Loving the pics in your bio, Rae, and you do indeed have your very own Eye of Rae! I honestly can't remember how I cared for my wound after my reversal, but I do remember it healed up relatively quickly, so it can't have been too bad. I don't remember having to pack it, but who knows? Certainly not me!

Past Member

Hi Rae, seems like things are progressing nicely, soooo happy for you. When I had my ileo reversed, there was some burning when I pooped. It was stomach acid overload until your belly gets into the swing of things and operates properly. I always had a big jar of Vaseline handy, carried a small one in my ever-present backpack. You might have some control problems, but that will get better with time. Unfortunately, my J-Pouch didn't work out for the long term.

I had to pack that loooong midline incision for months, and it is a bit scary at first, but at least it didn't hurt all that much. It was just weird looking in my mirror and seeing something out of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre looking back at me!!

You really do look so healthy in your pics!! Keep up the good work, Rae. It is quite strange for a while to have poop coming out of a normal place!!

Keep us posted, great pics. They bring back such memories!! In the drainage hole in my side, they jammed something into the cavity to help the drainage flow. It was in quite a while, so I had no clue what was in there, but I could feel it. Then it came time to remove the drainage tube. I was stretched out with a towel over the naughty bits, and he starts pulling out the tube. As he came to the end, the very small wound began to stretch like a piece of runner as this big lump slowly emerged. It seemed impossible for this huge thing to come out of such a small opening!!! Then I saw what it was. There were two hospital rubber gloves rolled up together and a huge safety pin, the big ones for diapers. When it popped out, my stretched skin snugged up tight again, and you wouldn't fit two fingertips into the wound!! I found it amazing how flexible your flesh is....just call me Rubberman.

Anyone else had that big diaper safety pin trick?

Get lots of rest, Rae....and don't you dare stop visiting all your ostomy friends on here now that you're a normal pooper, so don't desert us....Eamon

Abefroman1969

Congrats Rae

I'm very happy for you and I hope you heal up nicely. The packing would kill me, I just can't handle that part, glad you are managing.

You better not leave, you are one of the very bright spots on this site for me!

NGL I'm a bit jealous, I would love to say goodbye to my stoma.

All my best to you while you heal up and keep your awesome sense of humor and positivity!

Abe

Aka

Paul

StPetie
Reply to RaenotRay

I'm sorry you have to do that. At the same time, I'm glad you get the opportunity to pack that particular one. So yay for Rae!

I checked out your photos. If your stoma had been top left instead of bottom right, we would have twinsie abdominal scarring.

I wish for your sake that wasn't the case.

RaenotRay
Reply to Anonymous

I agree wholeheartedly. I'm going to rock that bikini every summer. I'll always have something to talk about with strangers, and maybe someday I'll add some tattoos to liven things up. I couldn't have done it without you, Sal. Kindred spirits.

RaenotRay
Reply to Meadow Snow

Haha, I love your responses, Meadow. I imagine we're sitting in the same room, and you're thinking out loud. I can hear the cadence of your voice as you mentally struggle with the details. I hope we can all hang out one day. We have a great club.

RaenotRay
Reply to Anonymous

Oh Eamon, I have to confess how much I loved reading your posts when I was really drugged up. My brain followed right along with your imagery, though my fingers were fat and useless. I think we knew each other in an opposite life maybe? There's definitely familiarity when we talk. Almost like catching up with a friend you haven't seen in a while.

I hated packing my midline so much. I couldn't see it properly, and it made me nauseated to feel things fishing around. I teased my surgeon about this one. Telling her "Only the best for Rachel huh? You laid awake thinking of the most awkward scenario?" I love that we have that relationship, lol. She hugged me and told me to stay out of trouble. Me?

I'm never, ever leaving. I love y'all too much!

RaenotRay
Reply to Abefroman1969

Aww, sweet Paul. I wish I could wave a magic wand and give you all your wishes. I'm grateful you have an option at life, though the beginning is so intrusive. I know that soon, you'll have figured out what works best for you, and then there will be no slowing you down. I honestly felt pretty normal before surgery. I knew how to eat and what appliances worked for me. I'm glad I got to experience relative normal before I had reversal surgery.
You are stuck with me Paul. I'm going to stick around and hear all the ups and downs. We're going to laugh, cry, and make cocktails together. I can't wait until we can all have a proper adventure together.

-Rar

AlexT
Reply to RaenotRay

You knew this was coming... pics or it didn't happen.

RaenotRay
Reply to StPetie

I'd say we're still twinsies. Maybe fraternal twins is all.

RaenotRay
Reply to AlexT

Oh, I will share pictures. It's currently 50 degrees out, but we'll get there. Heads up, I'm not paying for anyone's therapy after I post said pictures.

RaenotRay

For all who are curious: pooping is overrated. Thank you for coming to my TED talk. ‍&zwj