When did you get your ostomy?

Replies
Views
BackToCa

1983!

TomFTW

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

mswashtun

Hi! I had my first ileo surgery when I was 9, in 1980. Then I had the permanent in 1981 at 10 years old. I've had the "barbie butt" since I was 10 also. It has been quite the journey. I just turned 50, so life with an ostomy has been just regular life for me for as long as I can remember.

History2u

June 2021.

Pinkie pooh

Ileostomy from 12.2013 till 02.2014, permanent colostomy 08.2015

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
dmccrillis

First time August 2008. Permanent since 2011 some time. That damn Murphy's Law thing got me.

anesthesia gal

Past Member

April 1991

#Highlyfavored

January of 2013

NoltonJ 83

March 2022

PW10

Mine was 2012

Xlshrimp

1991 I think! Just temporary, they said!

Past Member

I had mine in November 2022

AlexT
Reply to Anonymous

I swear it's only May of 2022 right now.

puchtiago

June of 2021 ...

Meadow Snow
Reply to AlexT

He's obviously from the future, Alex. He traveled back in time using the TARDIS, he's the companion for Ncuti Gatwa's 14th Doctor

JGS

I have had mine for 56 years now. I was only 9 when I had my first surgery.

AlexT
Reply to Meadow Snow

Oh yeah, I forgot about all that stuff.

K-Calgary

J-pouch in October 2001. Ileostomy in October 2008.

kray

Colostomy in 1994, ileostomy in 2005

Meadow Snow
Reply to AlexT

Understandable, Alex. You're not a Time Lord after all.

Nicky-T

Hey Cat. Is that a stethoscope in that photo? I'd ask if you were a nurse, but instead, I'll ask if you're a physician. (I've been fooled by THAT before). I've never jumped out of a perfectly good aircraft, but I HAVE actually flown the damned things. I'm a retired cardiovascular perfusionist. I've been an ostomate since 2008.

Fritzj

I had my ileostomy in 1957. In July it will be 66 years and no, this is not a typo.

Steversteph

October 2019

AlexT
Reply to Fritzj

So, how have things changed over all those years?

Yeoman-Bowman

August 2018. Two-year 'temporary' loop ileostomy. No sign of a reversal yet.

John A

I had APR surgery on June 5th, 2019 and have a permanent colostomy.

Past Member

I got mine about 2 years ago. I'm Mike by the way. Hi :)

nehamashira

March 8th, 2000 was the date that "Barnelia" (ileostomy) was born. Since then, I have had 3 revisions. Rectal stump was removed in 2017. I have never looked back. I am living a full life as a palliative care/Hospice RN. Life is good - dealing with annoying pain issues, but hey, who doesn't have something invisible that they are dealing with???

icedcrystaltrio

Hi Cat, mine is brand spankin' new as of May 4th.