Best shaving options for sensitive skin around stoma?

Replies
Views
Beth22
Reply to Anonymous

Michaelthom13, I am seeing that more and more people use a regular razor vs an electric razor. Were you scared the first time you shaved? And how close do you go with a regular razor around the stoma? And I did read it helps stick better and good to see it's true.

Past Member
Reply to Beth22

Fingers crossed.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,465 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Beth22

Thank you, Sally.

Caz67

I use a normal razor. At first, I was scared of catching the stoma, so I used a bottle top cap to protect it. After a while, I felt brave enough to just shave without the cap. Xx

Beth22
Reply to Caz67

Caz, thank you. That's a really smart idea! I hadn't thought of something like that.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Past Member
Reply to Beth22

No, if it hurt or irritated my skin, I wouldn't do it. And with anything or new products, you try it on the opposite side of your stomach first to make sure there's no skin reaction. If you're worried about shaving near your stoma, the oldest trick in the book is to put a used toilet roll holder over your stoma or lid of something. Then you know your stoma can't be nicked by a razor blade. But tbh, once you have shaved a few times, you just whiz around. There's always a chance shaving can cause ingrown hairs. It did with me, as to why I don't shave now. Having a stoma over 40 years, my skin took a lot of abuse from razors in the past, so maybe a reason why it happened to me.

Mayoman

That's a nifty little shaver, Alex! I tried electric but it didn't do the job. I just use a fresh new blade every time in a regular razor. The great thing about the regular blade razor is that it will remove any residual glue that didn't wash off. Also, with this, I can see the stoma at all times. I'm paranoid about nicking mucus membrane, but I get right up to the stoma edge and I can clearly see that I'm not going off course.

Shaving makes a huge difference. If I don't shave, the thicker curly pubic-type hair will grow right through the soft squishy glue and it hurts like hell taking the wafer off. The wafer sticks much better to slightly damp baby smooth skin rather than the tight 'n' curlies!!! So get rid of those tight 'n' curlies for a longer-lasting wafer.

I use Nivea Cocoa Butter moisturizer for shaving. It smells great and is not oily, so it leaves no problematic oily residue after shaving. That's what I use on my face too, so I smell like coconuts all day!! Better than smelling like a pile of shite!!!

Magoo

Beth22

Magoo,

Love the sense of humor... So you smell like you are fresh out of the tropic islands...

And I didn't think about it helping remove any residue. Great to know and I am with you, I do not want to nick Briella. That would not be a fun time at all. My hair is blonde like peach fuzz hairs on my stomach, they just pull.

Mayoman

Yup... I close my eyes and the bad Irish weather goes away! Suddenly I'm on a tropical island sipping coconut cocktails, getting a tan... we can dream, right!! For a while, that's all the tropical sun I'll get. I'm a homebody for a while!! A new roof will ensure that status...

Magoo

Beth22
Reply to Mayoman

Hey Magoo,

I saw, why not bring the tropics to you if you can go.. now just put up some posters, get a straw hat, some shade, and a coconut cup with an umbrella, and you will be all set...

Why are you a homebody for a while if you don't mind me asking?

Mayoman

Hi Beth, any spare money will be going into a new roof so I can get the straw hat and my shades with a little non-alcoholic cocktail (dehydration) and get a tan on the "Slate Beach...facing South. Been adding bits to my little house here in Ireland for years to be nice and comfy in my....almost there...Old Age!! The sun seems to have arrived so that always makes things better.

Been having a bit of trouble with the butt pain and cramps again but working on that.

The Wild Western Ireland Riviera will have to do for a while! It's absolute Heaven here in the West when the weather is behaving a bit civilized. So many empty white sand beaches, so little time.

Magoo

Beth22
Reply to Mayoman

Magoo,

You seem well on your way to your own little private island... that sounds very relaxing. I am glad the sun has arrived... is it gloomy in Ireland a lot? I have always wanted to visit... see where my heritage lies... I am part Irish... And I have the attitude with it lol

Ok, question because I have been having cramps for the past two days but normal output and not dehydrated... but yesterday I was having major bad pains in my rectum like knife shooting pains (I haven't had really bad pains like that in the rectum) so I had them again this evening... so could my cramps be from the rectum pain?

I ask because you mentioned you were having cramps and rectal pain

Caz67

Hi Beth

Your cramping and pain in the rectum area could be that you are ready to pass mucus. If it's still going on, then it might be worth talking to your surgeon/stoma nurse as a caution. Hope you're doing well otherwise XX

Beth22
Reply to Caz67

Caz67,

Last night after two days of cramping, I found out when my body wanted to push. LOL My surgeon did do mine in a loop so I would have my mucus going to the bag (not to say I won't have a little time to time at the rectum). LOL The hard part is that it isn't going to come out of my rectum. It's like Fort Knox, that's why I have a bag. Nothing gets out.

Azdancer

Try using hair conditioner for your shave. My daughter gets razor burn really bad, but with conditioner, she has no problem.

Beth22
Reply to Azdancer

Hey azdancer,

Sadly, I have tried that trick and I still get it... 100% organic coconut cold-pressed on my legs, and that helped, but it's so expensive... but definitely not something you would use around your stoma. Lol, your bag would never stick.

History2u

I use a regular razor, carefully, and usually in the shower.

baltimorewill

Hi, I use a trimmer kit with the large head. I clean up the area (use adhesive remover to take off the old skin barrier), use the trimmer (not as close as a razor, but close enough not to cause problems). Wipe it with a stoma wipe. They are great... cleans and soothes the skin. Apply new barrier product, then attach the skin barrier (wafer).

paynejk

I use an inexpensive disposable razor. When shaving, apply minimal pressure (very light) to limit actual contact with the skin. I may only shave once a week since the hair tends to grow slower when it's covered by the wafer. The biggest issue with hair is the discomfort when removing pouches (short hair minimal waxing effect), so don't assume you need to have a baby smooth surface. Typically, hair (less than 3/16") doesn't cause seal failures. Use Sensi-Care to reduce the discomfort when removing your pouch; it's a great product. I also recommend at least two layers of skin barrier (dry between each layer and the wafer). This will give you a much better chance of avoiding skin irritation and blow-outs. Good luck, don't get discouraged.

dmccrillis

Laser hair removal is semi-permanent and what I did. I'm a guy with a hairy belly.

steve74041

I, too, have to shave to help my pouch adhere properly. I have always been prone to ingrown hairs from blade shavers, so I use Norelco brand electrics that have an available flip-down trimmer. I've had great results. The trimmer option allows me to trim hair right up to the stoma. You might consider using a peri-stoma cleanser/adhesive remover prior to shaving.

Good luck!

OzTomate
Reply to AlexT

I used to use a blade shaver with cream, but that left my skin tender. My wife then bought me a similar bikini trimmer, and that has been wonderful. I do all of my skin prep first, i.e., clean, wash, dry, and then shave last with no further cleaning before applying skin prep and the appliance. I never use the shaver with the cutting surface flat on my skin but prefer to use it edge-on per my drawing.

Beth22
Reply to paynejk

Paynejk,

Very great advice... Now with the barrier wipes, can you use them alone or are they supposed to be used with powder? That I am unclear about? My hair is longer, not a lot of it but certain spots, and they are blond so it's hard to tell, but you can feel with it. It just pulled the you know what out when I was taking my appliance off. I use an adhesive remover wipe. Is the Sensi Care a remover wipe and just a brand name?

Beth22
Reply to steve74041

Steve,

Thank you for the type of razor. I am going to look into that. I like how you can flip it so you can get closer.

Mayoman
Reply to Beth22

Hi Beth, I've had butt pain and cramps, especially on one side, right cheek. I described it to my doc (pardon the image this generates!!!). A fist up my butt gripping my lower intestine (J-Pouch) and pulling/squeezing just above my pubic bone. I've heard PID described and that's what it was like.

I've thought a lot about this and when I used Flagyl and Cipro together is when this stopped. It seems to have been a persistent fungal infection that had not been eased by Flagyl alone. An extended bout of Pouchitis.

The pain from this is horrible and so random. Out of the blue, I would double over in agony and have to sit down.

Just some thoughts, Beth.

Magoo

Caz67

Have you tried Bravo Adhesive Spray Remover? Just spray and remove after a few seconds. Absolutely brilliant to stop the whip lash of removing the pouch. XX

Beth22
Reply to Caz67

I use the Brava adhesive remover wipes. I haven't tried the spray though.

AlexT
Reply to Beth22

I use the spray (Hollister brand) to remove my bag. Way easier than wipes like Caz said. Just a couple small sprays and your bag comes off with no pulling.

NurseAnita

I like using eyebrow razors either with stoma powder for a dry shave. If you use any kind of creams, you must be sure to rinse it off really well.

Abefroman1969
Reply to AlexT

I also use adhesive remover spray, used Convatec Sensi and Coloplast Brava. My insurance refuses to cover the spray but I've found it on a few websites for much cheaper than the manufacturers or medical supply companies.