Limited Ostomy Appliance Options in North America: Is There a Conspiracy?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Abefroman1969

This morning as I awoke to the nurse to get my pain shot, I started looking at Twitter and found now a third company in the UK that makes a black opaque ostomy appliance. Aura®Plus. As I lay here cussing that the USA broke away from the UK close to 250 years ago, now thinking it's just another plot perpetrated by the man to keep the USA down by giving us terrible color options for our appliances, 3 different companies was all I could handle. I noticed another product, Aurum® Plus (same product, different name for different countries), that offers samples to customers in the USA! I signed up. The samples are offered through Welland Medical. I noticed the fine print: samples not available in all countries. After I signed up, I got the email: no distributors available in your country.

Shut down yet again, and the conspiracy continues. Is there some kind of pouch cover cabal that keeps these sleek-looking appliances out of North America?

I've been at the cottage so long I ran out of pouches and have been given the dreaded transparent pouches to get me through, just to add insult to injury.

Well, happy birthday to me! (It's tomorrow) At least today is my 10th day in advanced precautions, a fancy way to say quarantine since I was exposed to Covid. I should be able to leave my room and go to the cafeteria for a decent cup of caffeinated coffee and to the cafe for a delicious cookie called an elephant ear. Or if you are feeling French and fancy, a palmier, same cookie.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,102 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

SallyK

Happy birthday, friend!

I know being at the cottage is no fun, especially on your birthday. I wish I was there to tell you bad jokes, play a hand of cards, or drink good coffee and eat delicious cookies!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Mayoman

Happy birthday Paul.

I've become a tiny bit wiser as I get older as I enter the time machine that is life after 60!!

The older you get, the quicker things go...this is true (The Scream) like falling into a black hole!! However, the closer you get to the event horizon but right near the end, everything slows down again. So your last few years will feel like 50 years. So just plan well for the last couple of years and you can make up for all the shitty years. In my imagination, that sounded like a great scenario LOL...but when I wrote it down...not so much!!!.

So when you get out, just assume you have two years to live!! Then squeeze everything you can into those two years and you're way ahead of the game.

Just enjoy your freedom once you get your feet under you again. Live like you're about to pop off!!! And more importantly, no regrets!!

Magoo

Mayoman

Hi again, forgot to address your problem. I think patent restrictions and avoiding the huge competition is in part to blame.

I use "Absorbagel" pouches in my bag to absorb vast amounts of liquid. Kitty tried to get it in the US but not available there. Same with other products only available in UK or Ireland. Some of these will be more readily available in Canada. You should check Canadian sites since they are still in the GB Commonwealth.

Hope you find them... Magoo

Meadow Snow

Hey Abe, there's yet another UK brand that does black bags, (sorry, I don't mean to rub it in). I dunno either way about US shipping though, and they don't do international sample size orders. The website says for international customers to talk to your normal stockist. The brand is called Trio Healthcare.

http://www.trioostomycare.com/

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Abefroman1969

Meadow, Magoo, and Sally,

Thank you so much for reading my rantings, Meadow and Magoo. I appreciate the tips.

Magoo, we now have similar products in the US as you are probably aware called Parsorb and Ile-Sorb. One company calls their version Pearls and yet another calls theirs Diamonds. I find the Pearls and Diamonds names hilarious as I find nothing jewel-like about my poo bag! I think the same as you about patents and whatnot as Salts told me they were hoping to be in North America by the end of 2022 or early 2023. You've spent time here and know that the FDA moves about as slow as molasses in January.

Meadow, it's not rubbing it in at all. The information is completely useful and today makes me think of a certain bear and bunny joke! Also, no monkeys here! That is at the hospital across the street where the dreaded monkeypox has invaded!

Sally, I would listen to your dad jokes all day, any day. You were the first to welcome me here, and your sunny disposition refused to allow my cold dead heart to find any purchase. I appreciate the song as well. When I was in my early 20s, I was told I resembled Paul. That was a huge upgrade from my teens when I was told I resembled Tom Crazypants Cruise, and that was before he joined the cult! I've spent so many birthdays at the cottage; it's second nature. Some folks go to the pub, I go to the cottage for a hospital drip.

This is the year I hit 53. My father passed at 50 or "fiddy" as the kids say, and my mother passed at 56. Every day is a bonus and a blessing, as my friend Magoo said!
Magoo, my living family and father are all from Southie. HUGE Irish heritage contingent here!

SallyK
Reply to Abefroman1969

I am glad you are here.

Mayoman

From "Boston" (Mayo pronunciation)!! I went sea angling once out of Boston LOL.. with a bunch of dudes from the Boston pub, what a day.. love the accent! As a newbie, I caught the biggest sea bass and won the pool!! First ever. It's so much fun, you should try it, the ocean is so good for the head! And you have fresh fish for sushi!!

Magoo!

SallyK
Reply to Mayoman

No regrets.

Abefroman1969
Reply to Mayoman

I love being on the water in a boat but must admit I can't stand fishing, I can't explain it. I do love seafood though and if it swims I'll probably eat it! You mentioned sushi, is that something that is okay for us ostomates to eat? The seaweed has been giving me pause and also know there is no way I would be able to chew octopus long enough to break it down, I didn't eat it before the ostomy anyway as octopus to me is like fish gum, ick.
One of these days I'd also love to try a salad, I love a good Caesar with anchovies! But have been nervous about the lettuce. I suppose I'm in the best spot possible to attempt my first salad since the ostomy.

Abe

Mayoman

That's the key. I haven't perfected that yet....still working on regrets and "What ifs".

Perfection ain't easy!! Magoo

Abefroman1969
Reply to SallyK

Mayoman

Hi Abe, I love sushi!! With the right sauces and a little wasabi. Sometimes my sis will get a fresh salmon from the river and I don't even cook it all. Slice off some paper thin slices and roll it up with rice and you got it. It's too expensive most places so with a bamboo mat you can "roll your own" (LOL). The fish must be cut very thin to avoid parasites. I don't eat white fish sushi as it's more prone to parasites. Anything else is on the menu. In restaurants, the white fish is tilapia, regardless of what they advertise!!

No problem for the belly, digests great. Lettuce or seaweed should be cut up fairly small and eaten slowly!! At first, little chunks of undigested lettuce would come out but now no sign of green in the bag. It takes a while so take it slowly.

Some seaweed can be tough so you may need to discreetly chew and spit the seaweed. I pick my own seaweed at the clean local beach and use it in miso soup.... Sooo good!!! The fresh from the water seaweed is much easier to digest and tastes sooo good. You can get sushi rolls without seaweed wrap so probably try it but don't swallow if it feels tough. The seaweed sheets you can buy are much better than what you get in a restaurant if you try making it yourself. You can get a cheap sushi kit with a little bamboo mat for rolling.

Octopus has to be cooked perfectly to be edible. I love it raw in small pieces but you need the right sauce. For cooking it, the timing has to be to the second or it will not be nice. I have no problem with the small raw pieces.

The main thing is as usual, small amounts per bite and chew... Chew... After sushi, I feel like I've eaten a steak!! Just filling enough and very nutritious. Because of mercury (in every big fish), sushi is not advised every day. Smaller fish, sardines, anchovies are less of a worry for mercury. No need to be paranoid about it unless all you eat is fish.

Stay safe from the dreaded Monkey Pox Dude Magoo

Abefroman1969
Reply to Mayoman

All great advice, thank you so much, ask and you shall receive! I may try the hospital Caesar tomorrow and chew and chew, I won't get anchovies but only because they are not available at the hospital. I already have a bamboo mat for my soba noodles, I think it's gonna be awhile before I start cooking again though. For some reason I enjoy cooking but by the time I'm done no matter how simple the dish is, I lose all interest and my appetite, that's part of the reason I'm here at the cottage. The good news is I've put on just under 5 kilos since my admission. Even if I don't feel close to normal I'm finally starting to look like it! I also LOVE sushi, pretty spoiled and picky about it after being served it in Japan, they clearly have it perfected.
Best

Abe Froman

The Sausage King of Chicago

AKA Paul (actual name given by mother)

AlexT

Why not simply have a member across the pond get you some samples and send them to you? Happy birthday too.

Abefroman1969
Reply to AlexT

Thank you for the birthday wishes, a member has offered to do that for me. I'm worried I'll like the samples then not be able to get them covered by insurance when I want to switch to the Europe only company.

Mayoman

Hi Abe, have you checked out Canada yet for the European items?

Magoo

Rose Bud 🌹

Mayoman

So you are spoiled for Sushi Abe after having it in Japan!! Kitty was a military brat, Dad was a submarine officer so she was quite the food connoisseur, of all Asian cuisine, especially sushi.

I love salmon sushi because salmon has virtually no problem with parasites or worms!.

I have the same problem, if it takes a while to cook I lose my appetite by the time it's done. Ramen instant noodles is my go-to quick snack with ham and broccoli. 1 minute in microwave to soften broccoli works for me, no gas.

Magoo

Abefroman1969
Reply to Meadow Snow

Full-fledged conspiracy trio is carried by a stockist in the US but only accessories, no pouches! Darn it!

Thanks again, Meadow, for helping me in my quest to find a black appliance!

Abefroman1969
Reply to SallyK

I am too, I was ready to call it a life before I found y'all!

Very humbled and appreciative of each and every one of you!

Abefroman1969
Reply to Mayoman

Yes, I have Magoo. It seems those in the UK just like shutting out North America but like to accept Canada's money to support the Queen!

Yes, I sure am a smart ass!

Abefroman1969
Reply to Rose Bud 🌹

Thank you so much, Rose Bud!

Animal was my favorite Muppet as a child. I loved watching The Muppet Show with my grandparents. Now, my favorite Muppets are the same as my grandparents were at the time!

Rose Bud 🌹
Reply to Abefroman1969

He's my favorite too!!! I have found my long lost twin (just born 3 days before me)...lol

lovely

Hollister New Image 18123.
2-Piece Drainable Pouch with Clamp Closure is an ostomy pouch designed with gentle ComfortWear panels on the body side to provide a soft, cloth-like covering between the pouch and the skin. The CenterPointLock feature on this ostomy pouch prevents unintentional pouch and skin barrier separation. This 2-piece drainable pouch provides a high level of confidence and discreetness via a rustle-free film and protective odor skin barrier. The 2-Piece New Image Drainable Pouch is available in Transparent and Ultra-Clear with 10 in a box. The beige color features ComfortWear pouch panels on both sides and a single skin side ComfortWear panel on the clear and ultra-clear. Make sure you ask for the beige if you order a sample. Here is a link https://www.vitalitymedical.com/hollister-new-image-12-inch-drainable-pouch.html?network=u device=c keyword= campaign=14633176686 adgroup=pla-310548107279 gclid=EAIaIQobChMI67mP74L09wIV1RZ9Ch1egwDUEAUYASABEgI6K_D_BwE

Mayoman
Reply to Abefroman1969

So happy to be here to bother you every chance we get. This site and the great people on it are real lifesavers... literally sometimes. It gave me hope when I really needed a shoulder to lean on.

Get better soon, Abe Magoo.

Mayoman
Reply to Abefroman1969

The Queen needs her walking around money but not getting any from me. LOL !!!

Abefroman1969
Reply to lovely

Thank you, Lovely,

I've tried and am not a fan of Hollister products. I've had way too much ballooning as their vents don't work. I like my Coloplast products and am going to continue with them. My entire bit of whining was specifically about wanting a black one-piece appliance. I don't like the nude at all by any manufacturers.

I do appreciate the help and know that I can put a black pouch cover on any appliance. I just want the best of both worlds: a black one-piece appliance without a cover. I know of 4 companies that make them; they are just not approved for use in North America yet.

Yes, I realize I'm very picky.
Thank you again,

Abe/Paul

Abefroman1969
Reply to Mayoman

Thankfully, the USA is starting to wake up and open some legit ramen restaurants. Also, I had it in Japan and was blown away.
I still keep the instant ramen handy just like you do, but haven't added anything to it yet. I need to try to as I do love broccoli and a soft-boiled egg.
Next time you are in SF, look for a ramen joint called Santouka Hokkaido. I'm not sure if they have a location there, but I've eaten at one in Toronto and 2 in Boston, and I get the Karamiso. That's when I finally understood the Japanese love of ramen, even though they stole the dish from China!

RaenotRay

I love y'all! I agree, Paul. This is such an amazing group of people. Maybe we should all email Coloplast? Demand black bags!