Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Support | Friendship | Relationships
27,324 members

The dreaded colonoscopy through a stoma

Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:35 am
"This is the best website for people with an Ostomy, hands down. So much understanding. Everyone should join."

Hello everyone - I'm sorry if this has been discussed recently; I wasn't able to find anything.

I was wondering if anyone could calm me down about having a colonoscopy through my stoma!  This little button is much-babied, and has been behaving of late (I'm 15 months into a permanent colostomy).  But I fear a lot about the scope:

-Does the instrument even fit??  Seems to me the butt might be more able to stretch than the very fixed hole in my left side. 

-Can a scope worsen a hernia?  I have a half-hernia (however that happens!)

-Will they take adequate care of the actual stoma, it being so easily chaffed and hurt? 

I accept that peristomal leakage is likely, and therefore a possible rash, but it's the other stuff I'm worried about!  Thank you for any tips, including just telling me to suck it up!

Gill aka BadAss

Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:56 am

I had one done in March. I was knocked out for it. My surgeon left my pouch on and just went thru it with no problem. Done in about 20 minutes. No issues. 

MeetAnOstoMate - 27,324 members
Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:05 am

I've had several colonoscopies done through my stoma, both with full sedation and with twilight sedation. No issues whatsoever. I actually prefer it to my previous colonoscopies—you get to lay on your back, don't have to try to get yourself in the proper "normal" colonoscopy position. The only possible concern is that if you have a loop colostomy (with unused bowel "below" your stoma), you may need to have both sections of the bowel (above and below the stoma) examined, so there may be special prep you would have to do for the lower part. Since your colostomy is permanent, this probably isn't the case?

I can't speak to the the hernia part of things, I don't have any experience with that.

Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:04 pm

i've had an endosopy which is i think the same thing ...i had entonox so i was not sedated otherwise i could not of drove home and would have needed someone with me. i do not know about hernia complications  and it went ok apart from when going in the back end which was uncomfortable but the stoma part was no problem and the doctor who did ( professor hill of manchester royal infirmary) was showing me the picture on the screen and we had a bit of a chat.

Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:11 pm

Nothing to worry about at all. It is a painless procedure, takes minutes and a sedative puts you in dreamland for the time it takes the Doctor to do his examination. It is more comfortable than done the other way around. I don't think a hernia is affected in any way by it ,but the white-coated folks know best. I am talking about how that procedure is done here, you will have it in the US where medical care is of a higher standard all the more reason to be assured. Best wishes.

Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:01 pm

I recently had my very first colonoscopy without any sedation and it went just fine.  There was no pain and only a little discomfort. I of course have a bend in mine and therefore had to go through a second procedure but it wasn't painful either.  So just relax and they will treat you with ultimate care.

Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:46 pm

patrickrichardson1946 wrote:

i've had an endosopy which is i think the same thing ...i had entonox so i was not sedated otherwise i could not of drove home and would have needed someone with me. i do not know about hernia comp...

Thank you for putting my mind at ease!

Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:47 pm

Raztaz5656 wrote:

I recently had my very first colonoscopy without any sedation and it went just fine.  There was no pain and only a little discomfort. I of course have a bend in mine and therefore had to go throug...

Thank you for taking the time to respond!  Feeling more positive now :)

Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:48 pm

bowsprit wrote:

Nothing to worry about at all. It is a painless procedure, takes minutes and a sedative puts you in dreamland for the time it takes the Doctor to do his examination. It is more comfortable than don...

Thank you for putting my mind at ease!  

Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:50 pm

Hi there ,  my butt was so tight and closed up I had one through the Stoma , my screams gave them the hint that the butt was not a good way to go.  Through the Stoma was easy , knocked out and zero side effects .  Scar tissue builds up around the butt sphincter after ( my) many surgeries so they had no choice but it went great , no pain after it . ☘   Magoo .

Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:32 pm

I had one a couple of weeks ago. I did not know they also check your rectum and I had a little bleeding from there. There was no problem at all. I was just dreading the prep to get ready ready for it but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Best wishes

Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:27 am

Hi Gill the last time i was scoped was 3yrs. ago after i had resection surgery the year before on my ilieo., actually i was scoped on both ends by the gastro doc. to see if there was any new scarring due to crohns, the follow up visit was unusual for me as he took pics of my innards and showed me were inside my problems were. I had no pain from either scoping.

Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:16 pm

Bad Ass.   Relax, you won’t feel a thing.  The thought of it is worse.   They put you out, do the scope, you wake up and they’re done.  
Just as a note.  I always take an extra bag/supplies in case they want the bag off and don’t have anything to replace it with when they finish.  (This has happened to me the last two times).  

* Please, do not post contact information, personal information or advertising.