First social outing success! Share your stories!

Replies
Views
SallyK

I went on my first 'real' social outing today, and I would say it was successful! I went to see a Bluegrass band, lots of people, talking, and dancing. Since getting my ostomy (March 2020), I had only socialized with family and a few close friends... family game night, coffee dates, and the occasional lunch out. I know for some of y'all, this would not be a big deal... but for me, it was a BIG deal! LOL I left a backpack in the car that had everything needed for a pouch change and a change of clothes just in case. During the break, I went to a nearby gas station to use their restroom (the one at the event didn't have an industrial-size fan LOL). I just might be getting my groove back. Next, I am going to a full-blown dance (singles friends) with a band and lots of people on Saturday.

What was your first outing? I would love to hear your stories.

Looking66

That is awesome. You will get back in the in it before long. Once you take that first step, it won't be long. I have had my ileostomy for 25 years.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,369 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

SallyK
Reply to Looking66

Oh, thank you so much, Looking66, for the encouragement!

AlexT

Good for you. All that anxiety and nervousness was for nothing. It's funny how these bags stay on, they don't explode, nobody smells you or anything else while in public, just like when you're home alone. Well, the dog may look at ya weird when ya fart but that's the dog's issue on trying to figure out what the hell that odd noise is.

AlexT

Oh, and the video says it's private so it doesn't work for me. ‍

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
SallyK
Reply to AlexT

Thanks! I fixed the video... I think. LOL Would you test it for me?

AlexT
Reply to SallyK

Nothing, still can't click on it

SallyK
Reply to AlexT

I just reloaded it. If it doesn't work this time, I will give up. LOL It is not that exciting anyways.

AlexT
Reply to Looking66

You live in Sweden?

Justbreathe

Good on you Sally! Get out there and have some fun.

The video came through on my iPad.... Happy music makes me smile - thanks

If you are nervous about a leakage problem, perhaps you might consider taking a longish sweater or jacket along with you on your outings. That way you would have an available "cover-up" as you plan your escape route in time of need. Just a thought. JB

Looking66
Reply to AlexT

I was born and raised in Sweden but have lived in the States for a long time and I am now moving back.

SallyK
Reply to Justbreathe

Thanks JB! It was so much fun! And that is a great tip!

SallyK
Reply to Looking66

Journey well.

AlexT
Reply to Looking66

Ok, I'm not going nuts. I thought you had a different location before under your forum name. Back to Sally's First Outing......

RaenotRay

Congratulations, Sally! I wish I could have been there to cheer you on. I'm sure you were radiant.

AlexT
Reply to RaenotRay

I bet she was twerking like a 20-year-old. Probably threw a couple hoots out too.

SallyK
Reply to RaenotRay

Thanks. It was a lot of fun.

Meadow Snow

That song looked like a lot of fun, I'm so happy you enjoyed yourself Sally. Maybe next time I'll be able to just teleport myself across the pond to NB.

SallyK
Reply to Meadow Snow

I would love that!

Meadow Snow
Reply to SallyK

I'm concentrating, focusing, teleporting ... uhh ... ((looks around at my surroundings)) Attempt at teleporting apparently failed. I'm still here in my home in the UK.

SallyK
Reply to Meadow Snow

Keep trying, Meadow! I am lining up some fun for us this summer... Bluegrass Festivals ... walking with llamas on the beach ... our annual hot air balloon festival is a go this year again! And who knows what else I will find! LOL

AlexT
Reply to Meadow Snow

Be careful. You know what they say... Once you go New Brunswick, you never go back.

Meadow Snow
Reply to AlexT

Well, off I go then! 😉

(Side note, I really want to be able to turn the walking emoji around so that it looks like I'm walking to the plane and not away from it!)

AlexT
Reply to Meadow Snow

Put the plane emoji first. Oh, you youngins' nowadays. Or, just put a side note saying you're moonwalking to the plane.

Meadow Snow
Reply to AlexT

Yes, I'm definitely moonwalking (not mooning, mind out of the gutter Meadow)

xnine

I had a day pass from the hospital to my wife's family reunion. I was still very sore, but got by.

TerryLT

Congrats Sally! You will find pretty soon that you won't even think about the fact that you are carrying a pouch around with you. My first real outing was a New Year's Eve party at a friend's house, a huge house with about 80 people, a band playing, and lots of dancing. I partied and danced along with everyone else, and no one knew my secret, except for my husband and our host, who just happened to be a registered nurse. That was only about two months post-surgery, and about two months before Covid hit, so I didn't really go out again for another two years!!

Terry

SallyK
Reply to TerryLT

Thanks, Terry. COVID certainly didn't make it easier on us trying to get out with our new 'friend'.

lovely

Good for you, Sally.

lovely
Reply to xnine

Sorry, I must have missed the post about you being in the hospital. Hope you are okay.