Tips for Extending Bag Durations? Need advice for longer wear time!

Replies
Views
SallyK

I am so confused most times because it seems everyone does things differently depending on the ostomy nurse they have, or whatever country you live in, etc. I was told to use 3M™ Cavilon™ No Sting Barrier Film wipes on my skin under the wafer/flange. And to use the powder in layers with the wipes on any irritated skin. I have just recently started using the powder all the time since I am only doing 1 wafer/flange change per week.

(3M™ Cavilon™ No Sting Barrier Film forms a transparent and breathable protective coating between skin and the adhesive of the securement dressing device or tape.)

patrickrichardson1946

I use a pouch with a no-sting protective additive to the part of the pouch adhering to the skin (wafer?). Pelican Platinum with vitamin E, so no barrier cream necessary, and use powder if I see any redness when changing. I use the powder.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

AlexT

Is your skin damaged after the week between bag changes? If so, you may need to shorten the time between changes. If it's not damaged, why use any powder? Powder is just for absorbing moisture to let your skin dry out and build upon. I know you have the same basic situation as I do, do you shower without a bag and let your skin air out for a while? Those two things have helped my skin a lot.

SallyK
Reply to AlexT

No, my skin is fine for the most part... a couple of tiny red spots along the outer edge of the wafer/flange sometimes. I was just using the power as a preventative measure. I shower with my appliance on except for 'change day' I do shower with it off.

Justbreathe
Reply to SallyK

Yes - when I finish showering (without bag) and skin is clean (adhesive wipe where needed where there is black sticky residue from outer tape) when skin is dry, I apply stoma powder all around the stoma about 1/2 inch outward. Neither the powder nor the barrier will harm the stoma if a little bit gets on it. Then I apply the skin barrier (wipe - AllKare by Convatec), tapping it over the powder (powder looks as though it has disappeared), let the barrier dry a bit, then place my one piece over the stoma and hold it onto my skin for about 2 minutes for good adhesion. This is how I was taught to do it in the hospital. I am kind of a freakizoid about the bags...I rinse it all the time and I change it every other day. I could probably go longer, but I fear leakage and like I said - I am a freakizoid.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Justbreathe
Reply to AlexT

Over the last year and a half, I have tried different products and methods, as I am sure everyone has done. This whole topic has brought to mind an experience I had with powder and barrier. I cannot remember the product, but I believe it was a Hollister bag. It was a newer one, and when I used my normal method of powder and barrier, I had one heck of a time trying to remove it. I immediately went back to my old ways. Perhaps some wax-type adhesives do not play well with powders and barriers. I am down to my one last brain cell and cannot recall the product, but I am pretty sure it was by Hollister. There are so many choices and so many different requirements; it's hard to determine which choice is right for an individual. Experimenting on one's delicate belly skin is not fun! Maybe Henry can tell us if the term "yellow belly" originated from an ostomate!

AlexT
Reply to Justbreathe

Do you have irritated skin? Just trying to understand the use of all the powder.

Justbreathe
Reply to AlexT

No - no skin irritation, however, shortly after surgery, I had a nasty rash surrounding the entire area around my stoma. The stoma nurse gave me a bottle of stoma powder and advised me to use it and the barrier wipe....I have used it ever since. I have never had the rash again, so I fear not using this method.

Bowaechter
Reply to AlexT

Hi AlexT, this is new for me; I've only had my ileostomy for 5 weeks due to an emergency surgery. How do you manage yours at work? I'm afraid to leave the house since I need to empty numerous times a day and also need to measure my output. I'm not back at work yet, but I'm scheduled to go back 8/1/2022 and I'm having anxiety just thinking about it. Not to mention trying to find clothes that don't show my bag.

Any feedback is appreciated!

Thanks!

Tammy

AlexT
Reply to Bowaechter

Hi Tammy. First, let me say I have a colostomy and not an ileostomy, so my output is very different compared to yours from my understanding of the two. With that said, I normally empty my bag about 3 times per day. Maybe more, maybe less, but 3 is about average. I have a pretty physical job where I'm bending, walking, climbing, reaching, etc. I'm very hard on my bag. I wear either a Stealth Belt or an ostomy wrap to hold my bag fairly secure to my body. I really don't pay much attention to it now. If I have to empty, I just go to the bathroom just like every other human being. I do carry flushable wet wipes from Walmart with me as they clean the end of the bag out way better than having to deal with those big commercial-sized rolls of toilet paper that you see in public bathrooms. I use a deodorizing lubricant in my bag, so it never smells that bad. If I have to let gas out (burping your bag), I just either let it out where I'm at (I work outside) or I step outside and do it. Everyone I work with knows I have a bag, so when I say I gotta go, I gotta go. But you know what, those other non-bagged human beings have to use the bathroom too sometimes. So, any anxiety you have (like I did) diminishes with time and dealing with your sidekick just becomes second nature. The best thing any of us can do is to get out from behind the "curtain" and enjoy the life your bag gives you now (which I presume is better than being sick all the time). Good luck, any other questions, just ask.

Doe1mama

We did the same thing with my husband. After reading the success others had, we started using the barrier ring too. I also think using the hairdryer trick helped.

TerryLT
Reply to Justbreathe

The pouch I use is a one-piece Hollister, and has 'ceramide' infused into the flange, which is very kind to your skin. It is meant to keep your skin healthy and it works beautifully. The only time I get any skin problem is if I screw up cutting the hole and leave space for some output to touch my skin. Otherwise, my skin has stayed very healthy and this is with nothing, no powders, sprays, etc., just clean, dry skin. You should give it a try. I know Coloplast also has products with ceramide in the flanges. Makes a big difference.

Terry

Renfromtexas
Reply to AlexT

Mine takes about 7 to 8 days.