Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Support | Friendship | Relationships
27,324 members

Soap

Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:43 pm
"This is the best website for people with an Ostomy, hands down. So much understanding. Everyone should join."

What soap is best for the area surrounding the stoma for an ileostomy to help the bandage adhere?

Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:02 pm

I use Dial to clean the area, rinse it off and then put Head and Shoulders on and let it sit for a minute or two before rinsing it off. 

MeetAnOstoMate - 27,324 members
Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:07 pm

AlexT wrote:

I use Dial to clean the area, rinse it off and then put Head and Shoulders on and let it sit for a minute or two before rinsing it off. 

Do you do that for every shower or only when your skin is irritated? 

Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:12 pm

Every shower when I change my bag. I think it was EA who put a tip on using the Head/Shoulders. If it’s just a normal shower when I still have a bag on, I use my sexy smelling man soap and just take a normal hot steamy shower.  

Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:02 pm

+1 for yellow dial

Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:34 pm

AlexT wrote:

Every shower when I change my bag. I think it was EA who put a tip on using the Head/Shoulders. If it’s just a normal shower when I still have a bag on, I use my sexy smelling man soap and just t...

🔥  🥶  🛀 💋🤣

Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:33 am

Rose Bud 🌹 wrote:

🔥  🥶  🛀 💋🤣

Got awful hot in here for a minute... didn't it Rosebud? 🥵🤭😎

Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:43 pm

The soap that is always recommended by ostomy nurses is any soap that is just plain, no perfumes, lotions, etc.  I always use Ivory.

Terry

Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:32 pm

I use Dial or Ivory. I find Soaps with oils in them cause problems.  Best of luck .

Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:56 pm

Baby soap or soap for sensitive skin is my go to..... full body wash with same soap as my stoma area rinse well....nice and clean alllll over....just remember to dry welllll 

Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:24 pm

Anything without lotion or moisturizers should be fine. I use Dial liquid most of the time. Less fragrance is also better. Less chance of irritation. 

Good Luck!

traci 

Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:05 pm

SallyK wrote:

Got awful hot in here for a minute... didn't it Rosebud? 🥵🤭😎

🥵🤪🤣🤓

Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:34 am

I could not find Dial or Ivory anywhere that did not have either fragrance or moisturizer or both.  Today I tried this Dial that had no fragrance but it said 29% moisturizer and the barrier ring did not adhere properly...

Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:10 am

The main thing that I have found re. what soap to use is to make sure that it doesn't have any oils, like in Dove and Oil of Olay, for example. I agree with the other comments recommending Dial.

Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:34 pm

I've found the Equate (Walmart brand) body wash for sensitive skin works very well for me.

Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:59 pm

Rose Bud 🌹 wrote:

🥵🤪🤣🤓

Hot AND steamy….. woah 

Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:34 pm

I use Dr Bronner's peppermint castile soap.

* Please, do not post contact information, personal information or advertising.