Seeking Japanese ostomy sink in the U.S. - Any advice?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Bellily

I really want a Japanese ostomy sink/toilet!

How does someone in the U.S. get one of those? I tried Googling it a thousand ways but no joy.

Daggone it, I want one of those sinks. Do any of y'all have one? Or advice on how to get one?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,102 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

AlexT

Contact a plumbing shop or custom bathroom place, I bet they could get you one.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
HenryM

Check with cplumber, a member on this site.  I think he's actually a plumber and may be helpful.

AlexT
Reply to HenryM

But he's not Japanese.

weewee

Easy fix, no plumber needed. LOL. Handheld Bidet Sprayer for Toilet - Adjustable Water Pressure Control with Bidet Hose for Feminine Wash, LUFEIDRA Stainless Steel Brushed Nickel Cloth Diaper Bidet Toilet Sprayer. It's $30 on Amazon.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
xnine

This is what I am going to get, by American Standard

SallyK
Reply to AlexT

AlexT
Reply to SallyK

What? ‍

Bellily

Thank you, my sweet stoma peeps, for your replies.

No, I don't want a sprayer on a toilet, I want this:

https://i0.wp.com/www.allaboutlean.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Kyushu-Public-Toilet-Ostoma.jpg?w=1650 ssl=1

It needs to be sink level, I don't want to stoop, work on my aim, none of that. I want a sink like in the link. I'm even willing to turn my 1-bath house's bathroom sink into something like this (guests can wash their hands in the kitchen if they're afraid of my poop sink).

I want this sink and want it to have a sprayer, too.

I want it!

AlexT
Reply to Bellily

Simply take that picture to a plumbing shop or bathroom remodel place and show it to them. They probably have a catalog that has it in it.

SallyK
Reply to Bellily

Very cool!

Bellily
Reply to AlexT

I tried that. This hardware is hard to find.

Bellily

The more I think about the sink-toilet, the more I'm mad that it's not readily available here for ostomates.

All of the over-the-toilet-empty variations we are required to maneuver are absolutely stupid - awkward, messy, and wasteful (of TP to minimize splash).

Or you kneel: but what about if you have bad hips and/or knees? What about public restrooms? Gah!

One could opt for disposables but then you have to figure out how to stash your poop without smelling up your joint.

We need these sink-toilets.

We need to find a source of them (from Japan most likely) and acquaint some plumbers with their installation protocol.

How can we make that happen? Who's with me?

AlexT
Reply to Bellily

You're gonna make me find you a source, aren't you?

AlexT

Ok. M's Japan Inc. I'm still trying to decipher what is written and the video

Bellily
Reply to AlexT

Saw this, too, and have no idea what it says. The sink I posted would be much easier to install and stand alone. Let's divide it into the basin and the backsplash - the backsplash features could be assembled to suit the user, but the basin ... where does one get one?

AlexT

That picture I posted would be no more difficult to install than the one you like (which I'm still searching for). I'm sure it's no more than just a regular toilet drain with 1 additional waterline for hot and cold water.

Bellily
Reply to AlexT

Do you have a supplier for the one you posted?

That's where I'm running into a brick wall.

AlexT

No, but I'm looking.

w30bob
Reply to Bellily

Oh, that's cool! I gotta get one just to confuse the hell out of my friends when they come over to party on the weekends! Finding THAT in the bathroom after a few beers is gonna make for some fun entertainment!!! I can hear the WTFs being screamed now!!!

;O)

Bob

Bellily
Reply to w30bob

Hehehe ... you could have 2 party guests go pee at the same time ...

Bellily
Reply to AlexT

Alex, I hope we'll find one, or figure out how to ship one here, and start a grand experiment.

It could change our osto-lives!

:)

w30bob

I'm guessing they're only installed in public restrooms in Japan. Can't see such a toilet adding to the resale value of a home. But I would be surprised if none of the US vendors for hospital bathroom fixtures didn't have one in their catalog. Interesting, for sure.

;O)

Bob

Cplumber
Reply to AlexT

But I really, really enjoy Japanese cuisine! Hmmmm

Bellily

Yes - that's a great idea, asking hospital vendors! Thank you!

Since my last reply, I have installed a browser translation add-on. Looks like there are three major brands in ostomy sinks, M's, TOTO, and something that starts with L which I forgot by now because that link gave me a 404.

That sweet translation add-on allowed me to send a message to the M's people. Didn't write to TOTO because I was taken aback by their price - close to 2 million yen, which is thousands... I do intend to get my act together and contact them. Maybe my math was all wrong.

Wouldn't it be cool if we could order a half dozen, one for me and 5 for osto-neighbors, have some productive conversations with our favorite plumbers about it, and try this mess out?

Cplumber

Sounds like you have it under control, nice work. The interesting thing about all this is how many ostomates are in Japan that they have ostomy sinks in their public restrooms?

Bellily
Reply to Cplumber

It's not like they have more of us per capita, it's that there was one really vocal woman who said "hey!" and created a lot of awareness. Hence all the public ostomy sink toilets.

Maybe we could be that voice wherever we are?

Bellily
Reply to w30bob

Resale shmeesail

w30bob

Hi be,

If you're serious about the sink thing... contact these fine folks. They have global reach with organizations in every country. Japan has one of the highest member counts of ostomates in their chapter. I'd think they could assist you in finding what you seek. Maybe you could trade someone in Japan a case of Jack Daniels for a slightly used ostomy toilet!! JD is highly prized over there!

http://www.ostomyinternational.org/

:O)

Bob

Bellily
Reply to w30bob

Excellent tip - thank you.

I am serious about this thing and promise to keep y'all in the loop.