Ostomy Memories of the Last of Mo Higgins

Replies
Views
HenryM

MO HIGGINS WAS A SLUGGER who came up with a farm club for the then Cleveland Indians in the early Fifties.  His claim to fame was that he could hit a fast ball further than any man around and so, with some hesitance, the Indians brought him up to the big club.  The hesitancy was due to the fact that Mo couldn’t hit the curve, and as a defensive player, he seemed to lack the will to improve.  Late in the season after he was first called up, the White Sox pitchers struck Mo out over and over again, always on off-speed stuff.  The Indians played him in left field, but Mo often misjudged fly balls and turned easy outs into doubles.  Eventually, despite phenomenal pitching from the likes of Bob Lemon, Early Wynn, and Mike Garcia, the ’53 season ended with the Indians 8 ½ games out behind the rival Yankees. Mo Higgins had ended up with a sorry ass batting average of .237, and after the season ended, he was sent back to the Double A farm club from whence he’d originated.  That was the last of Mo Higgins.  (Cue theme music.)

AlexT

Reading the title, I thought this was about Native Americans and you were trying to be politically correct.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,356 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Hello HenryM.

Thank you for this post which, for the most part, I did not understand because I know little to nothing about the game that Mo was playing. However, the story has prompted me to consider an alternative perspective  to the implications in the title of your post. 
Best wishes

Bill

THIS IS NOT THE LAST OF MO!

Mo has a skill within his game
so, for a while it brought him fame
in his local club, for they
just loved to see how Mo could play. 

Mo enjoyed his game and club,
for in that setting there’s no snub
if other’s may think that he should 
always play’s as if he’s good.

In his club setting he has shown
that he’s not playing all alone, 
for teamwork shows it will support
each and every one cohort. 

But other folks have other aims, 
which often reflect their own games 
of exploitation and desire
to raise their own profile much higher.

They take the likes of Mo to show 
how, with their help, these Mo’s can grow 
into celebrities who will
increase  their knowledge and their skill.

But taking someone from their home, 
sometimes gives rise to a syndrome
whereby the Mo’s of this world will
not increase their natural skill.

It’s then they are rejected and 
most people will not understand
that though the Mo’s may pay a cost
they will not be the ones who lost.

Mo will return to his home side
where there’s no need for him to hide,
and so, at last, he’ll find that space,
which he may see is his safe place.

It’s not the end of Mo, you see,
for he will find ‘his’ place to ‘be,’
 and flourish in the limelight where
his friends and family all will care.

B. Withers 2022

Justbreathe

Mo Higgins theme song

Take me outta' the ball game

The way I play is so lame

I'll take the peanuts and Cracker Jack

But I don't care if I ever go back

Oh, it's root root root....are you singing yet?

HenryM
Reply to Bill

If I can pen a post to cause / Ol' Bill to write a verse, / We haven't broken any laws, / Tho' he's but rarely terse.

To be an inspiration over tea / Was not my goal, I do aver; / Mo Higgins isn't real, you see, / But Mohicans really were.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Fred383

Hey Henry, you've been with an ostomy for quite a while and have entertained us for quite some time now (and I thank you for your life stories). My question to you and anyone else reading this, what other sites have you found to be informative and with a positive viewpoint? I love this organization/site and have been active for 5 years.

Thanks, FRED383