Clear Ostomy Bag - Why the Change?

Replies
Views
dmo101
Reply to Maried

There are a lot of other options out there.

Do like I am doing now. Ask other manufacturers like Convatec, Hollister, etc. for samples. They are happy to help. I buy from Edgepark. Not 100% sure if they offer samples as well.

SallyK
Reply to dmo101

I don't know. LOL. I am not the color beige some bags come in or black. I think I need more of a shade of pink. LOL.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,456 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

eefyjig
Reply to SallyK

This reminds me of a book my kids got for my husband called, "The Gas We Pass" by Shinta Cho. It's a good indicator of my family's sense of humor!

eefyjig
Reply to AlexT

Is this an actual occupation and can you work from home?!

SallyK
Reply to eefyjig

LOL sounds like a good read.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
eefyjig
Reply to dmo101

I agree, and the weird thing is that they advertise their gray bags as blending in with your skin tone.

SallyK
Reply to AlexT

Beth22
Reply to dmo101

Lol, that's why it's an option. You don't have to... me. I like prints, not plain, so bag covers for me. I like and why not dress it up and embrace your bag and show it off. It's a beautiful thing...

TerryLT
Reply to eefyjig

Yeah, I forgot to mention how much easier it is to change pouches, when you can actually see what you are doing! Don't know how people manage to get it on properly with opaque pouches.

Terry

IGGIE
Reply to SallyK

Don't you just love those soft-centered ones.

SallyK
Reply to TerryLT

I use a two-piece system ... put the wafer on and then attach the pouch.

SallyK
Reply to IGGIE

LOL

dmo101
Reply to eefyjig

"Work from home"??

I am currently unemployed and on the market. Maybe I can swing this into a work from home job!!!!

dmo101
Reply to eefyjig

"...advertise their grey bags as blending in with your skin tone"

Even more proof that this company is run by little grey aliens.

TerryLT
Reply to SallyK

Yeah, I used to use a two-piece system, and that was one of the advantages for sure. Unfortunately for me, I got leakage from around the seal where the two pieces are secured, several times, so not just a defective pouch. Had to switch to one piece, but I love the pouch I use now.

Terry

w30bob
Reply to dmo101

Well.......it is a money making thing.......but it's fueled by vanity. And maybe "vanity" doesn't cover all the bases. Some are embarrassed to be wearing a shit bag. I was. Others don't care one way or the other, but have a fashion sense......and why not fashionize? And others really are concerned more about not freaking out others who see it and realize what it is. So it is a money making opportunity for some, but it can also be looked at as a confidence booster or reassurance for some.........and people will pay for those.

Truth be told, you can very easily make bag covers for pennies if you have a little time, a sewing machine and some material. And don't let the sewing machine deter you.........they're very simple to operate and you'll be stitching away in minutes if you buy a new one. One time my aunts came to visit and saw a couple covers I made as first attempts. They were intrigued and asked if they could take an ostomy bag home with them. About a week later I got a box in the mail with like a hundred covers that they made in every fabric you could think of. I asked them why they made so many and they said it was so simple and fun........they couldn't help themselves. The cool thing is you can tailor them to anything you want. Velcro closure.........or zipper........or fold over.........horizontal, vertical........I even added Nike logos to my black ones and no one ever gave them a second look when I took my shirt off. The possibilities are endless, and they are incredibly cheap to make. And a bit fun, so be careful...........it can get addicting.

;O)

Beth22
Reply to w30bob

Hi Bob,

I like your post. Great explanation for everyone's different reasons. I am in the category of being proud of having a bag and accessorizing it. Why not embrace what gave you your life back? I had bought some but I am looking into making some for myself.

Poopsie
Reply to eefyjig

I had read that they had tested a bunch of colors, and the mid-grey showed up the least under clothing. It's not meant to be skin tone; it's meant to hide behind the overlying fabric color.

Daughter
Reply to dmo101

ConvaTec also offers inspection windows. I got samples when my mom came home from the hospital. We received a sample reference number 421682. It is an opaque closed bag with a little window on top. I didn't even know it was there at first because it wasn't advertised as a feature.

Itsinthebagnow

I've had my colostomy since January 2022. Did the usual trial of every sample my ostomy nurse could get her hands on. In the end, I decided I like the Hollister 2-piece clear the best. Yup, clear. Because my stoma is a bit flush, it likes to retract, and I wear a belt to help it pop. With a clear bag, I can see what my stoma is up to, or not up to. And it's always tucked in so ain't anyone gotta see it. I also like that it's easier to get really empty with my scissor fingers running down the bag, that plastic front pushes stuff real easy. I use Adapt lubricant deodorizer to help that.

OverWithThisOstomy-Maria
Reply to SallyK

I was sent some clear bags too, but never for a specific reason.

Zestybb

I'm 3 months post ileostomy. I have been using opaque bags, but I can still see through it. It doesn't bother me. I do have trouble trying to change the bag, still trying to accept everything. Right now, my home health nurse comes daily to tend to my emergency surgery incision, so she changes every 3-4 days. My doctor suggested clear bags because the time I did attempt in changing, I just couldn't see through the opaque bag as to if I was putting it on properly. So I may try the clear just to see if I can do it.

Virgo68
Reply to Justbreathe

I also like the clear bags so that I can tell if anything is amiss. And I use a bottle of water to cleanse the bag so it doesn't look as disgusting. I know I go in the mornings, so after that I'm pretty good through the day. My problem with the opaque ones is that when I change the bag, I can't see precisely where to place it. You have to gauge it and I'd rather see it go on correctly. Even with the window, it doesn't show completely. Am I doing it wrong? I'll probably stick with the clear.