Popcorn

In this discussion
Replies
Views
CrappyColon

Those with a colostomy - can you eat popcorn? Regular corn?

Since I am sans colon, I was told no popcorn except for Heirloom but that's hard to find around me. Popcorn used to be my favorite salty snack. It's probably one of the things I miss the most.

Just was curious if y'all get to eat popcorn

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,097 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

AlexT

In very small amounts for me personally. I can eat the buttered popcorn flavored puffs with no issues. Not the same texture but tastes just like buttered popcorn.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
CrappyColon
Reply to AlexT

You think those taste the same? What brand do you get it? Whatever I've had tastes like weird flavored styrofoam to me.

Past Member

I have an ileo and was told no popcorn but I've eaten it...just chew it really well and try not to swallow any of the kernels. Someone gave me Garrett's and I couldn't not eat it :)

HenryM

I have an ileostomy.  I'm not sure how my diet would be different from those with a colostomy.  In any event, I eat microwave popcorn all the time.  My brand is Kirkland (Costco) "movie theater butter" popcorn.  Never been a problem.  

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
CrappyColon
Reply to Anonymous

I claim Chicago as home since I've lived there on and off, so cumulatively it equals the most years, and I have a lot of family there still. That was my first trip with my ileostomy. I didn't get any Garrett's, but definitely had Portillo's, and I can't remember which pizza we did last time, Giordano's or Lou Malnati's - I think it was Lou's.

AlexT
Reply to CrappyColon

Kinda styrofoam textured but tastes like buttered popcorn.

Ben38

I have an ileostomy and I can eat without any problems.

Just try whatever you like. It's the only way to find out what is or isn't right for you, just in small portions at first to see how it goes down and out. Always try at least 3 times before giving up on something as adhesions often get the blame for blockages. You will find out with experience you can eat something today problem-free, then the next time you could get blocked up or lose output.

CrappyColon
Reply to HenryM

That's interesting, Henry. So I cook popcorn on the stove how my grandma taught me, and I know the texture between stovetop and microwave is different. I have a bag of Amish popcorn my mom found for me, and it was supposed to be hull-less, but there were definitely some hulls, and that caused some bleeding for me, so I didn't try it again.

CrappyColon
Reply to Ben38

Any chance popcorn in the UK differs from popcorn in the States? (If that's a stupid question, I don't care ha)

Ostomy4life_22

I have a colostomy and over the holidays, I was eating caramel popcorn. I didn't have any problems. I also eat whole kernel corn with no issues. It comes out just as whole as it can be....lol.

Axl

I have eaten popcorn recently a number of times with my ileo, no issues but I haven't eaten a huge amount of it.

eefyjig

CCD, popcorn is my favorite salty snack, too! I have an ileo and eat it several times a week without any problems. My favorite is Popcorn Indiana crispy and savory sea salt. It doesn't really block me up but I did have a blockage about seven years ago from quinoa that sent me to the hospital. It formed a cement in my small intestines and I've avoided it like the plague since then.

CrappyColon
Reply to eefyjig

Y'all have me starting to wonder about trying it again... I'm wondering since especially my 2nd surgery is fairly new if what's left of my insides might need some more healing time. I'll have to look up the type you mentioned. Did anyone mention to you Heirloom popcorn once you had your ileostomy?

Jodie

Axl

Just a generic supermarket, no idea what it is...

Past Member

Indeed, I do eat popcorn (with an ileo). Whole bags of the stuff with a preference for the microwave popcorn Henry mentioned. My favorite is the triple butter flavor (cos bugger the arteries, lol!). Even with the amount I eat, I find I get very little output - all that puffed air perhaps?

Just recently discovered a local brand (Cobs) salted caramel popcorn and good lord, that stuff is good, perfect combo of salty and sweet. Then there are always Lolly Gobble Bliss Bombs! This is all making me hungry!

Axl
Reply to Anonymous

Darn... I have a sudden craving for popcorn...

CrappyColon
Reply to Anonymous

Lolly Gobble Bliss Bombs! Who comes up with these names? LOL

I had to look back as a reference 3 times to make sure I got the name right. It's like a tongue twister trying to say it 5 times fast.

Any chance the corn in Australia is different than in the States?

Jodie

Justbreathe
Reply to AlexT

All this popcorn talk - I used to buy Chester's all the time, always 2 - so when you mentioned it, I thought I'd look it up on Amazon - where have I been? It's now $8.47 for the 2 bags - they must be making it with gasoline!

Past Member
Reply to CrappyColon

The brands I mentioned are all made from Australian grown corn, but I am sure corn is corn the world over, and if I recall from years ago from my time in the States, popcorn has the same taste (but naturally enough I think everything is better down here!)

Bon appétit!

P.S. When I was little, I thought they were Bliss Blobs (much easier to say, lol!)

CrappyColon
Reply to eefyjig

I think you made me very unlikely to try quinoa again anytime soon.

CrappyColon
Reply to Anonymous

I'm not a (corn) farmer so I can't say for sure, but I know they make hybrid stuff here and genetically engineer things so they grow bigger and faster. I know our soy milk is different here than in Australia (something with how it's made), and I know in Europe I could eat a lot of pasta/bread and not get sick from the wheat or gain weight even after eating what felt like a lot. With corn being a grain, I wondered if a different type was used, engineered differently, etc.

Past Member
Reply to CrappyColon

Yes, you're right, I checked the back of my current packets of popcorn and it makes a point of saying "NON-GMO Australian grown grains".

CrappyColon
Reply to Anonymous

I was reading an article and it was doing side-by-side comparisons of the same products but US vs UK version, and the US versions had all the fake coloring, flavoring, preservatives - the not necessary yuck.

AlexT
Reply to Justbreathe

I just spent $2 on it at Walmart maybe 3 weeks ago.

Axl
Reply to Anonymous

I can remember when the Bliss Bombs first came out, what a sensation they were...

Ben38
Reply to CrappyColon

Now you've got me on that one but I'm sure ours in the UK must taste better.....only joking lol but still the same you don't know something's not right for you unless you eat it.

I've always believed myself those foods to avoid lists should be binned. They cause more harm than good, giving people a fear of food for no reason. I remember having a heated discussion lol with a nurse after my surgery telling me what I could and couldn't eat. As my dad had an ileostomy long before I was born, I knew a bit about them. For everything she told me I couldn't eat, I was saying, "Well, my dad can eat that, so why can't I?" She wasn't happy with my answers lol.

CrappyColon
Reply to Ben38

Ha, those are fighting words.
I do hear your scones are much better than what we've come up with here though.
I know they told me to reintroduce one thing at a time as I graduated from thick liquids, to soft foods, and then back to "regular" food. But popcorn with hulls was the one they made sound like a never ever unless it was heirloom.

Ben38
Reply to CrappyColon

Haha.....just try a handful then if they were to cause a problem it would be short-lived and have something to drink at the same time to help flush them through

CrappyColon
Reply to Ben38

Try a handful, you say. It will be fine, you say. Can I blame you if it's not? (Only kidding here.)