Persistent Raw Skin: Seeking Solutions

Replies
Views
TerryLT

Things have improved, but my problem has not been solved. Here is what I have tried so far: Calamine lotion (made it worse), Cavilon spray with and without powder (no improvement), barrier ring (now we are getting somewhere, but still not gone). The interesting thing is that after the barrier ring, the skin around my stoma is healed quite nicely, but there is still a small crescent-shaped area beyond the reach of the barrier ring that is refusing to heal. I tried (living dangerously) putting some Polysporin on the raw area, with a tiny piece of gauze, cut exactly to the size of the damaged area, stuck that on, then applied the appliance. It was well sealed all around the area with the poly and gauze, and it held in place for 48 hours, and probably would have held longer. It is a little bit better, so I just did the same thing again, and will look at it again tomorrow. I remain hopeful, but something tells me it's still not going to be better. If I could just get that barrier ring to stretch to cover the damaged area, I think that could work. I might try warming it and see if it will stretch. Any other suggestions?

Terry

CrappyColon

Do you have any Hollister? Sometimes I made my own rings with that (I had to cut and measure myself). I had an indent to the right of my stoma that always caused problems and I had to cut and layer small pieces of the Hollister.
I actually have several unopened boxes of it. I've been trying to figure out what to do with it.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,465 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Ostomy4life_22

With my colostomy shape, it's an oval shape one. So I do heat up my barrier ring and it stretches a lot better. My stoma sits even with my skin. The barrier ring is a saver, I tell you what.

Axl

Hi Del

Can you put a piece of micropore tape over the irritated spot until it heals or just use a piece of another ring/seal there?

Beth22

Have you tried some Tegaderm over that spot? You can buy it at Walmart or Walgreens or online

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
AlexT

Terry, just take another barrier ring, cut a little piece off and place it where you need it. If I stretch mine a little too much and think a spot is too thin, I just cut a small piece off another ring and put it on the thin spot, fuses together with no issues.

AlexT

By the way, you can just put the cut-up ring back in the container and use it again. I've probably used the same ring to cut pieces off of for 3 months or more.

SallyK

Good luck, Terry.

Homie With A Stomie NS

Darling, if you get the Bravo by Coloplast rings, you can stretch those or move up a size as they are moldable. Keep it as close to the stoma edge as possible and stretch out. Just remember, when you stretch, you also thin it out so break down time is faster. Hence, 1 size up close around stoma stretch to cover raw. Keep us posted.

TerryLT
Reply to CrappyColon

I haven't heard of this product. Sounds like it's made by Hollister?

TerryLT
Reply to Beth22

Haven't heard of this either. I'll look for it, thanks.

TerryLT

Thank you guys. I didn't know I could stretch the barrier ring, or cut pieces from it, so that will be my next step. You guys are awesome!

Terry

Beth22
Reply to TerryLT

With retracting all the time, nothing was thin enough. I had to get creative. I have also tried the extenders as well since it flat, those don't stick to the skin as well as the tegaderm in my opinion. Have you tried strip paste but thinking and flatten it out?

IGGIE
Reply to Axl

Please don't use Micropore Tape, not a good idea.

weewee

When I get that raw from shit, I use a stuff called (Corona). It's a creamy paste. Then I sit with towels wrapped around me and let the air do its job. Also, you can find it in the horse section at the local farmer's store. It heals in a couple of days, so wear your bag when out. But when at home, time to change. Just sit and relax until it erupts, then cuss and clean up. That's why I have lots of towels and lots of laundry when that happens.

CrappyColon
Reply to TerryLT

Yes. Let me take a screenshot for you. I'll send it in a few.

CrappyColon
Reply to TerryLT

CrappyColon

As you see, I have a few boxes. I'd love to find someone that can use them. I don't want to just throw them out because they are good supplies. I turned the boxes so you can see the # on it.

bballman54

Hi Delgrl525,

Try this: After cleaning around your stoma, dry it well, apply your skin barrier, then your barrier ring as usual, then take a second barrier ring and cut it in half in the shape of the crescent area. I had the same thing happen to me around my belly button. It took about two or three weeks, and it healed very well. I hope that helps. Please let me know.

TerryLT
Reply to Beth22

I've looked for Tegaderm and can't find it. One pharmacy worker said she hadn't seen it in ages. Don't know what strip paste is?

TerryLT
Reply to CrappyColon

Thanks, this looks like something I would try. I'm going to ask for some free samples.

TerryLT

Update: I tried as suggested, used a barrier ring, and cut a second piece of a ring to cover the raw area. I only left it for 48 hours, and there was 'some' healing, but still not there. I've done the same a second time and will see how it goes. In the meantime, I finally decided to call my ostomy nurse, and she suggested I try a couple of Salts products, a pouch with aloe-infused flange, and a type of barrier ring, also infused with aloe. She said these products are really great for raw skin. I've ordered samples of both and will see how that goes. I didn't know we were even able to get Salts products here in Canada; I thought they were in the U.K. only, but we do have a distributor here now. I'm kind of hoping they turn out well for me, as I looked at the prices from the retailer I use, and they are way cheaper than my Hollister products!

Thanks again for all the advice!

Terry

bballman54

You're very welcome. We're all in this together!!!

CrappyColon
Reply to TerryLT

Oh! I forgot my ostomy nurses had me using Dombero soap as well for the skin. I would do soaks with it. So you mix the powder with 1 cup of warm water, then I ripped up strips of paper towel and soaked them in it. Then placed those all around/on my stoma. Here you can get it from a Walgreens, not sure about where you're at.

TerryLT
Reply to CrappyColon

I'm just seeing this post now, don't know how I missed it. I'll have to look for that soap, thanks!

nwcurtis

Try Nystatin powder (prescription) and Desitin. Make a paste and apply to the parched area.

TerryLT

Good news. I got my Salts samples, and tried a piece of the aloe-infused flange extender, cut to the size of the irritated area, and it's pretty much completely healed, just a little red still. I think this is good stuff! It sticks to the skin, and the flange sticks to it, so it really stayed put well. I am going to try their pouches, which are also infused with aloe. They are currently on back order from the U.K., so they will send me samples when they can. What really impressed me about this company? I requested samples and told them about my raw skin issue. They sent them via courier! I had them in two days. Somehow I don't see Hollister or Coloplast doing that!

Terry

Beth22
Reply to TerryLT

Delgirl, that's awesome...

I wish Salts would send to the US. How do you like them?

Axl

Hi ya Terry

I have used Salts seals since day one, I think Nine uses them too.

I have only tried one or two others but am back to Salts before long, they seem to work very well for me and have never caused me any irritation like the others have.

Glad to hear you are making progress.

Axl

Past Member
Reply to TerryLT

The Salts extenders with aloe are excellent. When used as extenders to frame the appliance, they don't deteriorate like the other brands do and are much easier to remove.

Glad you have found something that works.