Non-Sweet Electrolyte Options for Colon-Free Individuals

In this discussion
Replies
Views
CrappyColon

Has anyone else without a colon tried these? I wanted to have something that was easy on the go and I can't stand sweet hydration drinks. I had to put post-it notes on them that said "Mom" so my kids wouldn't think they were candy

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,095 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Beth22

I haven't tried these, but I drink DripDrop. They come in individual packets, great for on-the-go, and just mix it with bottled water. There's also Liquid IV... same, it's powder packets mixed with water. I found for me the Liquid IV came right out and was in my bag, lol. The DripDrop doesn't though. Hopefully that helps.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
CrappyColon
Reply to Beth22

Thanks, Beth! Unfortunately, after surviving on Gatorade/similar drinks and lemon magnesium citrate (the nasty clear liquid stuff) for the last few months leading up to my surgery, I have a really difficult time drinking anything sweet. I think I was given samples of both of those from Girls with Guts (I think). I received a type that looks like a tablet (blanking on what they're called, I'll update this if I remember) but I thought maybe I could just suck on it like a candy or chew it up and swallow then drink plain water to trick myself into getting it in me quickly lol. I do use Buoy drops because they are taste-free, but sometimes if I have a migraine, I don't drink enough, so I was looking for quick ways to get some of those electrolytes in me.

Beth22
Reply to CrappyColon

Some of the flavors can be a little sweet. Gatorade upsets my stomach even diluted, so I can't drink it. Lol, yeah, that many citrate is no joke. I lived on that for years until it stopped working. Lol. As far as chewing for electrolytes, I don't know, but if you find out, let us know.

CrappyColon
Reply to Beth22

I asked when we were trying to plan a time for the surgery how long I had before the mag citrate stopped working and they said about a year from when I had started solely using that, so I was a couple months in at that point. I bought the mag citrate in bulk, pretty sure it's probably all the stuff they recalled. Ugh.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Mr.Heart2Win

Drip Drop is $30 per 32 of them, about. I drink, or try at least four 16oz bottles of water, at least. That'd be around 120 for just electrolytes. Buoy is I think more affordable, $30 supply last a month, about. I'll try the Drip Drop because the Buoy has a taste to me, or I'm using too much, just started, we'll see, hopefully the Drip Drop will be sweet and tasty.

CrappyColon
Reply to Mr.Heart2Win

I can taste the buoy a little but drink mainly water or unsweet tea. If I add lemon to regular water I don't notice it as much. I've been drinking a lot of club soda with fresh lime and adding buoy and don't notice it with that.

Axl

Have a poke around this site, there is some reading and DIY info, it's more or less what I do.

https://drinklmnt.com/

CrappyColon
Reply to Axl

Pretty sure I tried some of this at a children's birthday party over the summer :)

Beth22
Reply to CrappyColon

Yeah, mag. Citrate is sour... that check pucker... I moved on from that to milk of magnesia and other laxatives before I had gotten my bag. They all stopped working or didn't work at all... then they found what was wrong finally.

CrappyColon
Reply to Beth22

Just skimmed your bio. So what was your actual diagnosis?

Beth22
Reply to CrappyColon

Two issues actually... One, my large intestine wasn't moving so they took the entire large intestine, and I also have severe pelvic floor dysfunction which is why I have an ileo and had to have my rectum removed as well. Currently, I still have my anus.

CrappyColon
Reply to Beth22

Do they know why your large intestine stopped moving? Asking because the same happened to me. Started getting sick in my early 20s, but they don't know what actually happened. They're thinking autoimmune and are seeing it run in families - but just females and it typically starts in early 20s. I've already talked to my bio daughter's pediatrician about when do we start keeping a closer eye on her? I don't want her to go through what I've gone through.

Beth22
Reply to CrappyColon

They don't... I have had issues going to the bathroom since I was born, even breastfed I wouldn't go to the bathroom as a baby for days, and at the age of like 4, my parents had to give me suppositories and mineral oil. As I got older, it got worse; then it would be a week I wouldn't go, then two weeks, then three weeks I wouldn't go. All laxatives didn't work anymore... they just as of 1-2 years ago figured out why. I did find out like 8 months ago a great aunt in my family ended up having an ostomy, don't know why though.

Did they do an autoimmune disease test? The good thing about you going through it is you know the signs, so if your daughter starts to go through it you know what to look for.

CrappyColon
Reply to Beth22

I really don't know what tests they haven't done lol. My GI care is all at Cleveland Clinic now, but I signed releases saying they can use anything from me for research. I know they were sharing all my results with Mayo Clinic so they're aware this is happening, and in this form just to women. I'm hoping if there is a genetic component they've got 10-13 years to figure it out if my bio daughter follows after me. I know the motility Dr. said he wished he'd been able to use immunotherapy treatments for me, but by the point I got to him, my colon prob hadn't moved at all in 3 years? It was pretty done.

Riva

Check out H2ORS on their website or Amazon. Living in Florida, it's my go-to for rehydration when beaching/boating, outdoor activities. Enjoy.

Beth22
Reply to CrappyColon

So, does your doctor think it was an autoimmune disease that caused it? Did you see a genetics doctor?

CrappyColon
Reply to Mr.Heart2Win

Do you say "buoy" out loud when you squeeze it into your drink? I've found this to be helpful in not overdoing it.

CrappyColon
Reply to Beth22

I believe the hypothesis is something (the don't know factor) triggered an autoimmune response... The motility Dr called the intestines innocent bystanders that get attacked by the body itself (autoimmune factor) which was originally triggered by viruses, infections etc. One Dr I spoke with thinks genomics plays a larger role, but he wasn't part of my medical team trying to figure this out.

CrappyColon

Yes, I did see genetics but to be tested for Ehlers-Danlos only. I'm hypermobile hence a shoulder reconstruction and knee surgery, and I told her when she was doing measurements I had 6 anchors in my left shoulder so how she was measuring wouldn't be accurate but ‍. I think I met 3/5 criteria for that but my mobility. GI Dr thinks me (and both bio kids) being hypermobile is all part of it.

Beth22
Reply to CrappyColon

Sounds like it... it can affect the organs as well, but I would consider that a possibility of being why your large intestine did that and also I would contact the one doctor that was on the track of his thinking (the one that wasn't a part of the team) sounds like he has ideas.

CrappyColon
Reply to Beth22

I should know after some biopsies are done by a general GI. Then, pending those, if he wants to do a smart pill study, if I'm getting passed back to the GI motility team.

Nicky-T

Zipfizz is a powdered supplement that I have used. I believe that my lovely bride has purchased it at Sam's Club. I seem to recall that it's also available online, perhaps that place that has the same name as that river in Brazil (in case we're not allowed to say the actual name!). I don't remember whether it's available at Wally World. But if Sam's Club made it without a problem, I don't know why Amazon would be a problem. But the stuff is called Zipfizz so Dr. Google should be able to help you.

CrappyColon
Reply to Beth22

They did an echocardiogram of my heart to rule out the vascular form, I believe. I know that they wanted to make sure my heart was good to go before the colectomy.

Brake007

I like Ultima Grape Zero Sugar I get from Amazon.

BruceFan

Hi Beth - I've been using Drip Drop for several years now. I order in bulk, and it's about 120/mo. It's all I drink. I got the larger packets and drink 3 - 24 oz bottles per day. I use less sticks than recommended but it's fine! I couldn't get unflavored water down, nor could I tolerate Gatorade due to the sweetness. Drip Drop is my answer!

Yourfriend

I also use Drip Drops with zero sugar. When I was a mad cycler - I would fill my bottles with 1/4 of orange, 1 teaspoon of salt and water.

jambly405

Hi, I understand not wanting sweet drinks, but glucose is helpful for the absorption of sodium in the upper part of the digestive tract, which is why I was advised to take these kinds of drinks. I was prescribed 'St Mark's mix' from my hospital but I now use a rehydration tablet based on WHO research as it is more convenient. I only use these when I feel I may be too "loose" and passing too much fluid in the bag - yuk :(. Rightly or wrongly, I take water throughout the day as dilute fruit juice, coconut water (has minerals in it) and V8 vegetable juice. Plus, we take in water in the food we eat, of course.

Sadostomate
Reply to Beth22

I saw in Big Lots they have a rehydration product - didn't see the cost - by the flavored on-the-go water section.

I make my own on-the-go packets of sugar and salt and one of the flavored packs mixed in for a 2-liter bottle I keep at work and for a 16oz bottle.

I am literally fearful of drinking plain water. Many options out there, you may need to experiment till you find one that your body is okay with - let us know what works.

Redondo

I have only used Gatorade. Low sugar.