Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates Support | Friendship | Dating 21,163 members

Disposing of pouches discretely

Posted by funnygurl, on Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:51 am
I use the doggie disposal bags that look like minature black garbage bags and are available at Dollar Stores and some grocery stores in Canada.  they are black and have ties to close them.   They work perfect!  I also use a Diaper Genie at home.  They were designed to dispose of disposable diapers and also work perfect.
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:22 am
Hi, I am in the UK so not sure if the products are the same but I use a flushable pouch which is fantastic! Once in the toilet system it breaks down just like toilet paper.  Wink
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:55 am

yello wrote:
I use a flushable pouch which is fantastic!

who makes this system?? first i have heard of it, but sure would be handy when traveling. is it vented also??
Reply by sherl1, on Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:49 pm
all l do with my used pouches etc is to make sure they are empty and just cut them up into little pieces and put in kitchen rubbish bin, this is ok l think only of course if you have a urostomy.  sherl 1
Reply by funnygurl, on Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:36 am
Disposable pouches are  not to my knowledge available in Canada yet.  I  heard about them about a year ago and that they are available in Europe.  Meanwhile I use the mini dog disposal bags and a diaper genie.  I awould love to have access to flushable bags also.  Can someone give me more info on who makes them and if you can buy them in North America now.
Reply by cheesewhiz28, on Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:50 am
hello everybody im kinda new. i would like to comment on the colostomy disposable liners. they are called colo-majic. if anyone is interested you can go to http://www.ColostomyMajic.com to find out about them. i use them and their great for traveling. hope this helps.
                                 cheesewhiz28
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:54 am
an update, e-mailed these folks and they are sold in lots of 300 {if i remember correctly} anyhow i e-mailed again and the fellow says he would send me a few to try so i`ll check back in after i give them a shot.
Reply by bamatex, on Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:24 pm
I have an Ileostomy & have used a disposable pouch liner system for about a year now. The liners are marketed under the name Colo-Majic Liners & come in a box of 300. I use them with a closed end vented pouch. If used properly & changed before they're full the pouch is usually left completely clean as it doesn't touch the contents of the liner. You have to punch a few holes in the top of the liners (pin provided) so they can vent into the pouch, the pouch then vents to the air. When changed the liners are flushable into most sewer systems but be aware they are not recommended for septic systems. Apparently the liners do not break down as normal wastes & paper do in septic systems. My ranch has a septic system so when there I empty the contents of the liners, flush them away, & dispose of the liners in doggie poop bags, tightly sealed,  into the trash. I'd suggest interested parties contact their ostomy supplies company & ask for some samples. They're really great & have changed my life for the better in dealing with my ostomy.
Reply by nakedinthesunt, on Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:58 am
I reciently ordered disposable liners made by Colo-Majic Liners Inc. from a distributer in North Carolina.  Supposedly can't order dirrect from mfg. Anyway...these things are great.  By using the linners (yes 300 in a box for about $65.00 US Dollars), my regular vented bags last me about 3 times as long as before, and if your buying your own supplies..even with co-pays...it'll save you alot of money...and they are so quick and easy to change out.  I recommend to anyone.
Reply by Ayeshamg, on Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:53 pm
Did you know that there are biodegradable bags that you just flush down the toilet?
Reply by car1951, on Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:27 pm
I found the cheapest and easiest way to dispose of the bags are ziplock freezer bags.  The bags are clean, easy to carry and close tightly.  Did I mention cheap?  For me, that is a factor.  
Gus
Reply by Gus, on Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:05 pm
Holister give you 10 bags per box to dispose of your pouches, They aren't perfect though and the smell leaches through them if you leave them in your bin too long,, pewwwwwwwwwwwww.
Eli
Reply by Eli, on Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:34 pm
I also use ziploc freezer bags. You can zip it up, put it in your pocket and go walk outside looking for the nearest garbage can.
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:03 pm
I us bag-it-away. That is the name of the company.  It is a black zip lock bag, they are not expensive, yet they are thick enough to hold the odor and view.  Great if you are away and have to use  a wastebasket to dispose of everything.  I use them everytime, they are neat and it can stay in the garbage without odor if its not garbage day yet!
Reply by Tampabay, on Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:44 pm
could you please post a phone number where they can be reached ,or address,Thank you I would love to try them
Reply by SigmoidFreud, on Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:48 pm
Just curious; will bag liners work with smaller openings, i.e. 1 3/4". I have been using doggie bags and cutting them a little, but the smaller opening has been problematic in, 1. snapping the flange and pouch wafer together, and, 2. allowing easy entry into the pouch when being worn. I have a colostomy.  

Anyone using liners with 1 3/4"

Thanks so much for any thoughts.

Stewart
Reply by SigmoidFreud, on Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:51 pm
funnygurl,

may I inquire as to what size opening or flange size use find compatible with the black 'doggie' bags. T Y

funnygurl wrote:
I use the doggie disposal bags that look like minature black garbage bags and are available at Dollar Stores and some grocery stores in Canada.  they are black and have ties to close them.   They work perfect!  I also use a Diaper Genie at home.  They were designed to dispose of disposable diapers and also work perfect.
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:08 am
Am I too unconcerned???
I lived with two ostomies for 6 months and stuffed everything into one plastic grocery bag, tied it up and stuffed it in the trash can.
Same with the overnight drain bags for my urostomy.
I never even double-bagged.

Who's going to go look in your garbage can??
Or paw through your black or white trash bags at the curb?

I suppose there are people who do that type of thing but they don't live near me...
Reply by 2emptyit, on Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:22 pm
I understand that people shouldn't be going through your trash but the sanitary issues are huge.  It might not seem like much but raw human waste is a biohazard and can spread infectious diseases.  Trash bags and food storage bags leak, puncture and generally do not contain the waste.  You might notice that even in those plastic bags the waste pouches can be very odorous and the odor means bacteria and bacteria means disease.  You can either use bag liners that you can flush or use pouch seals that totally contain the waste inside the pouch. You can do whatever you want at home but please don't use a plastic bag to dispose of your pouch in a restaurant, airplane or other public place.
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.