Finding Love with an Ostomy: Is it Possible?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses experiences and advice on dating and relationships with an ostomy.
SheliaBaby

I think it is "odd" how we are so much harder on ourselves than we are on anyone else....I know it's true for me and a lot of people I know. If anyone else pointed out all the flaws I find with myself......I would think they were a jerk....and ought to take a closer look at themselves.
But when I do it.....for some reason I used to think it was okay.....now I would call myself a jerk for thinking that way. LOL Guess you do get a little smarter as you get older!

Sheila

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,090 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

tine

Just wanted to say thanks for all the wonderful comments....I am my worst critic and know I've got to ease up and not be so harsh on myself....to accept I've got this bag for the rest of my life....don't let it rule me!!!!

Tine...xx

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
florida-val

Roger - It's just a matter of finding the right partner. I was married when I had my ostomy surgeries and it really didn't affect us (I felt really blessed). My husband was just so glad I was no longer sick all the time. He passed on, and in 3 years, I met a man at work and we got married, and he has never ever had a problem with it.

I have heard many stories and really never thought I would have a chance after my first husband was gone, so I was pleasantly surprised. I hope you will find the right one and be surprised also.

Good luck.

Past Member

I have read through the 5 pages of this thread and feel deeply for you. I have been married to my very special lady for 48 years and have had my permanent colostomy for 7 of them. I must admit to being far more resentful after the surgery than my wife who accepted the situation from the beginning. I didn't, and that became an issue until I finally woke up to myself. Early on, I had accidents, the worst fouling our bed at 0200 hrs. She quietly rose with me, helped me to the shower, and remade the bed while I was in there. When we both went back to bed, she cuddled up to me as though nothing had happened. I have been hospitalized several times since, and the last time being from January to the end of May this year. I required more surgery to repair damage from the radiation treatment following a resection to remove colorectal cancer stage 3. The bowel perforated, and I ended up with fecal peritonitis. All of these difficulties were patiently endured by my wife, who I will say I love very dearly. I don't understand why anyone cannot accept their husband or wife's altered body function. That is what it is, simply an altered direction. Every human being has to dispose of their body waste, so what is their problem? I believe that there is always someone somewhere for each of us, so be patient and selective. You will find that special partner. You will see.

Lobster
Tine, as I've told you before, you are what we Southerners would call quite fit. Actually, you're more than quite fit. Stop putting yourself down, you won't be lonely for long.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member

I am 30 years old and have just come out of the hospital having a completion proctocolectomy, and I am new to this site. The day before I went into the hospital, my partner of 4 years and I split up. I knew it had been on the cards as he has never been the same with me since I had my ileostomy formed in September 2009, and now I think the thought of it being 'permanent' he couldn't handle it and fled! I have now had to come to my parents with the minimal stuff I picked up the day I left, until I have the energy to go and collect the rest of my things (I am one week post-operation).

At this moment, I feel that no one will accept that I have a bag. I was such a confident person but seem to have lost my grounding at present. I am sure this is a normal process after surgery, but at this present moment, I feel like I will be on my own for the rest of my life because no one would find me attractive.

x

Past Member

Personally, I think that any relationship that breaks down just because of a bag was weak in the first place. At the end of the day, yes, we and all who are around us go through a lot emotionally around surgery time, but any decent partner would just be glad that you are okay, have survived, and that there was a treatment available for your illness. In reality, a bag does not change who you are. In most cases, you can do more and be less restricted after surgery, and it is only during the most intimate moments where it shows its presence. Small bags are available for those special moments, positions can be changed slightly to minimize the bag contact, so if someone leaves because of this, then it seems that the relationship was based mostly on sex. Even as a man, I think that's shallow, and the relationship would probably have broken down at a later date anyway.

Blondemoment: - I appreciate that you are going through a tough time right now, but some good will come out of this in the end. Be strong, things will get better!

Past Member

I think what you have said is right, things seemed to have changed from the time I had my surgery, he just didn't seem interested. Things seemed to get worse and the Sunday before I had my operation on the Tuesday we had a disagreement and he used this as an escape goat! Also didn't want me to go on holiday with him and his son etc. I think I feel this way as well because I'm in a lot of discomfort and can hardly walk with the incisions in my stomach and not too be crude 'back end', feel useless as having to rely on my mum to look after me at present, where I am usually so independent.

You are also right when you say that the relationship was weak, and probably would have broken down anyway. I am sure there are a lot of people out there who are not shallow and would love the person just as they are, but this point in time can't see light at the end of the tunnel and it seems to have knocked my confidence on all accounts at the moment.

beyondpar

Please allow yourself the time to heal both physically first and that will happen faster than you think, and then allow the emotional to catch up to the physical...
A lot of us have been through the situation you are now going through, and in truth while you may not believe it now, there is no one to blame or cast any negative comments about... We all, and I mean we all, are trying to figure this journey out and get through unscathed, but we do become scarred, but please don't become jaded... There are many people on this planet who just don't have the coping skills or ability to deal with it and it doesn't mean they are shallow or indecent... I know I never wanted the pouch and today I love it... so to expect others to accept it so readily is asking for a lot.
You will be loved and accepted for all the beauty you bring to the table, and allow it to surface, slowly but surely... I, as a male, find you to be very attractive, so if I see it, there will be many others... Go slow, as you are in the early stages of recovery... Stay well Michael.

It does get better each and every day...

Lydia

Tine, I am also 38 and single, living alone. I had an argument with the man I was seeing a week before my op. He knows nothing of my op and we haven't spoken for 5 weeks. It didn't end well. I'm thinking now, pastures now... but sorry, I digress...
You need not worry, you are beautiful, and just because you have a pouch, it does not mean that prospective partners should think any less of you. In fact, I think many will see you as a strong woman. You may not feel it, but you are strong.
I hope too to have a relationship again someday, but as the advice in this forum goes, I want to get my head around all of this first (had a colostomy a month ago), and then I will be ready to contemplate it.

Past Member

I think that you are right also, you have to get your head around what has happened to you before you even get in a relationship, because if you can't get your head around it how is anyone else supposed to, but I think it is wrong for people who can't see beyond the 'bag'. I was or thought I was quite confident, people used to say I was before this happened, seemed to have knocked me a bit.

I too haven't spoken with my ex-partner since the day before my surgery. I have had to text him and he is packing my things and my mom, aunt, and friend are collecting them on Monday, then putting the key through the door. He hasn't asked how my surgery has gone so I haven't mentioned it. I think I will be better once Monday is over! I don't want to have a really bad breakup as my friends are also around where I used to live and drink in the same pub, so I will bump into him sooner or later.

Hope you are feeling okay and managing your colostomy.

x

jjjnettie

Hi all.

I'm 47 and have had my colostomy since 2007.
I was married at the time but have since left my husband. He was okay about the bag, he just wanted the sex. But he was in denial about my ongoing health problems and showed no support whatsoever. I figured that if I have to go to all these hospital visits on my own, I may as well be on my own.
My current boyfriend tries very hard to show he doesn't care about my bag. But deep down, I know it is a bit of an issue with him. (Or does the problem stem from my low self-esteem, and he's feeding off my emotions?) Either way, we have worked out a most satisfactory solution. I wear a tight stretchy singlet when we go to bed, (or the couch, or wherever lolol). It can be rolled down over the shoulders and fits snugly over the baggie so it's out of sight and out of mind.
I usually wear a stoma cap at the time. It's a tiny bag about 3"x2", and is okay for an hour or so, though I've worn them overnight more than once.
I'm on the lookout for lingerie that is cut so as to cover the ostomy and associated war wounds. I think this is more to boost my own bruised ego, though I'm sure he'd enjoy it too.

Past Member

I understand the rejection feeling. I lost 2 relationships due to my illness. My first one was 8 years and he got scared off, and my current one I am in is a 12-year relationship and have a wonderful son. When I decided to have my surgery, my husband was supportive as he had seen me in pain and relying on morphine for so many years. Yet, when he saw the outcome of the colostomy, he couldn't handle it and has since left this past weekend as he needed "time away" and to "talk to someone". Not sure what the outcome is going to be!

jjjnettie

Oh, I feel your pain!
Hugs .xoxox

Past Member

Personally, I haven't had a partner yet since my surgery. I would hope that it wouldn't be a big deal but I guess I can't say for sure. It seems like women with ostomies have it harder than men with ostomies to find partners, I guess guys are more superficial? I mean, I don't know for sure, that's just my observation.

dsmithsc91

Just recently recovered from cancer treatment and now have a divorce likely due in large part to my ostomy. It is really encouraging to read the messages of hope with regards to sex, intimacy, etc. May one day I feel like beyndpar does. The ostomy is actually a good thing.

Bluezz

dsmithsc91....Now that we have shared the "wink" HA! You and I had our surgery at the same time frame, 6 months ago. Oh how I can relate, as many here I am sure. I have done the online dating sites and feel it is safer for me to weed out the men I feel may not like or accept my new appendage. What I have learned is that not every person needs to know I have an ostomy, not until they deserve to know which means, to me, the friendship we build first. I have Crohn's disease and used to think dates should know upfront as not to sound like I kept it from them on purpose. Such a mistake, that became the focus and not who I am as a person. People today don't get that it is not a choice we make easily, most times it was to save our lives. Yup, it surely is the hardest thing to get used to looking at and not to mention all the other issues it involves. Yet I like to think there are still many men/women who are not that judgmental in this world. Soooo chin up! There is always hope or on a prayer.. I am banking on my funny little personality to win someone's heart....

K~

Tiggy

Bluezz;

If your profile photo is any indication, you won't have to rely solely on your "funny little personality" to win the hearts of many potential mates. You are a gorgeous woman with a winning (and quirky-sexy) smile.

jjjnettie

Well, I finally got the confidence to bare my bare belly and bag to my "boyfriend" while in bed, previously I'd kept it covered. And surprise surprise, he actually said he doesn't want to have sex with me anymore.
Deep down I knew that this would happen.
So now I'm actively searching for a new partner using online dating.
Oh my, it's scary out there.

ferrona
Jjjnettie,

Sounds like he was just a real asshole and that he never deserved you. There are good men out there. I met my man online and I told him like a few months after talking online that I had an ostomy. He is totally fine with it and he reassured me that he doesn't look at me differently because of it. So...he is out there...keep positive thoughts. That's what a real man wants, a confident woman in her own skin whether you carry extra baggage or not. : )

~Amber
Past Member

Hi JJJ, I've read your posts and feel a sincere need to tell you what I've found. It's truly huge and necessary to know this if you have a colostomy like me. I feel if I hadn't worked out this method of normality, I may have become insane. Reply to this if you want to hear.
PS I feel (truly/honestly) for all, we are we and I am for us.

Lalu
Hi, all.

I'm coming in a little late on this, but want to get my 2 cents in. The posts in this thread are both heartening and heartbreaking.

I was married six and a half years when I had my ileostomy. My husband did everything for me for the first few months because I was in such bad shape, as well as being in denial. I think if anything changed, it was that we loved each other more. He died a year ago and an old boyfriend who I hadn't spoken with for 25 years recently found me. After we communicated for a while, I told him about Walter the Wenis. He was no less enthusiastic about us getting together (3000 miles separates us). We have plans to see each other this summer.

So, Ira, why don't you and goldengirl get to know each other? You're practically next door neighbors.

Laurie
bes0642

Jjjnettie, what a jerk! He didn't deserve you. His loss. Best wishes. Bob

Past Member

Tiggy,

"Try to think of your bag as your personal jerk-detector."

Wow! I love that statement. Sums it up. Who wants a jerk.

bes0642
Dawneagle, that my lady, is a great acronym for the bag. Love it! Bob
nogutz

Hi everyone;

This is an interesting subject. And I am guilty of feeling inadequate about my body and the mess it's in........So I have to get over it, but then I have the other problem of just being shy, I guess. I think this may be the biggest obstacle I have to get over.
We should be listing all the good things about this "Bag of Ours" because we do know that it can send shallow people walking...this is a good thing! It was a good thing for me, yes, a little lonely at times.......but well worth it. And that was 5 years ago!

Crohn's disease has taken its toll on me. It showed me how tough I really am. So after everything...all surgeries, recovering, and getting back on my feet, I just don't seem to have the strength that I once had. That is hard on me. More than I thought.

Take care, no guts

krisfx

I had my ileostomy at the start of university in freshers, I managed to "get intimate" with a few girls, most of which were one or two-time things.

Although it's harder for older people to get partners these days, it's about having confidence in yourself. Hell, I even have one of my old pouches pinned on the wall as a reminder, and when people come round, I tell them a story. It's not all doom and gloom relationship-wise, just make sure you're open about it.

girlygirl

Really feel for you, so young to be dealing with this. I'm 60
and I could just about cope but by the time I recovered from surgery
I've ended up with a hernia. Where do I go from here? Not major surgery
I hope but I reckon it will be.

girlygirl

It's so hard to cope with the operation and the emotional side of things,
but it's way too early for you to feel anything but well and confident.
But in time, you'll get there, and we all know these operations are horrendous
to say the least. So get yourself well and your strength back, and you'll be fine, x

Past Member

I hear ya, Roger That!

Like Bikerboy, I too would love to "bump bags" with a bag woman! Romantic dinner first.

My first instinct is to try to find a romantic interest and intimate partner who's a member of our club. The instant understanding, acceptance, and comfort level would just be beyond compare, IMO.

Bikerboy, I hope we both get our opportunity.

I don't think 'sticking to our own' (if possible) closes any doors (fully or partially), I think it opens the door to a relationship with the profoundest level of comfort and understanding imaginable for us.