Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates Support | Friendship | Relationships 22,6K + members

How to stop adhesive sticking to support belt?

Welcome to MeetAnOstoMate.org
Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:04 pm
I have a VERY large hernia necessitating my wearing a wide support belt.

I use a one piece Hollister pouch for my urostomy, but find that the adhesive constantly oozes and sticks to the belt, so that on removing the belt either the adhesive pulls pieces of fabric off the belt and/or the belt tries to pull the pouch off.

Does anyone else have this problem and is there a solution (pardon the pun) to prevent the excess adhesive oozing and sticking to the belt?

Thanks in advance.
Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:32 pm
Perhaps a piece of Saran Wrap (plastic sandwich wrap film) between belt and flange?
Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:14 pm
I was wondering why the adhesive is oozing in the first place? Because of the Hernia being very large? I have a hernia also but use the 2 piece pouch system and a mad amount of waterproof tape around the base adhesive then put on my wide belt.
K~
Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:41 am
I don't have a hernia but still have the wound from the op and wear a belt but I always put my undershirt between the dressing and belt also have made an opening to for the bag. made this will help
Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:44 am
Hi Majic - I really black and looks disgusting - other than scraping it off and scubbing with a nail brush pre wash, I haven't as yet found a solution either....?

Any further forward with getting your hernia repaired yet?

Rach xx
Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:00 am

lottagelady wrote:
Hi Majic - I really black and looks disgusting - other than scraping it off and scubbing with a nail brush pre wash, I haven't as yet found a solution either....?

Any further forward with getting your hernia repaired yet?

Rach xx

Same as me then Rach,. but one or two interesting suggestions above.

Re hernia - I have a consultation with the surgeon tomorrow. If he says it's not absolutely necessary, I'll go with that. Otherwise ....?  

At the moment I've had enough of hospitals, having had the prostate removed a couple of years back, followed by a hip prosthesis which broke one year later, needing replacement of course, and the urostomy. I'd like some peace for a while.
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.