Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates Support | Friendship | Relationships 21,252 members

Peristomal hernia

Talk to people who understand you Sign up today - for many, our community has been a life-changing experience.
Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:23 pm
what are the signs
Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:31 pm
I had a protuding (buldging) spot near the stoma.  The spot was very hard.  It was repaired with a mesh in my abdomen.  At times I feel a tugging where the mesh was placed.  This is usually if I have gained a few pounds.  Symptoms go away if I lose those extra pounds.
Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:47 pm
did the hernia stick out around the stoma .did you have pains through your stomach on both sides. where did you have the mesh surgery done just as i am a auto tech who has to lift more than say 50#s aday
Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:10 pm
No it did not hurt, it just buldged around the stoma and was noticeable under my clothes that I had to wear in the office.  I had the mesh surgery done in Grand Rapids by my ostomy surgeon.
Nurse
Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:29 pm
Hi m-fran21

Hernias around the stoma usually begin as a small lump or bulge around the stoma.  The bulge can be over, under, to the side or beneath the stoma.  They are usually  not painful when they begin.   The bulge often reduces or disappears on relcining or pressure over the area, only to reappear on sitting or standing.

I suggest seeing your surgeon check it out.  If it is a forever stoma, your surgeon may want to consider surgical repair.

Heavy lifting places a burden on the surgical opening for the stoma and higher potential to herniate.  Please talk this over with your surgeon also.  Though repair is possible, continued strain can re-herniate the area even with mesh used or relocation of the stoma  to a new site.   Sometimes job changes to avoid lifting and strain are necessary to consider if the stoma is permanent

Let us know the outcome.

Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:47 pm
Hi , I was reading your post about Peristomal Hernia well I have the same my hernia is around my stoma. I will be having my stoma reversed in the near future and my surgeon will repair the hernia at the same time. My question  is would you have any idea what kind of surgery will be done . Thanks in  advance pippa
Nurse
Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:16 pm
Hi Pippa
Sorry, was out of town a few days, so late reply.

Best to ask your MD how he will repair it, there are a variety of techniques/mesh and he could give you the best answer.

Lucky you to get it all done one shot...let us know how you do!

Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:22 pm
My surgeon told me to repair my hernia would most likely cause more bad than good. The mesh stuff (medical word, lol) wasn't reliable.
Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:27 am
This has some good information. I am having one repaired in September with the mesh.

http://www.hernia.org/stoma.html
Nurse
Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:52 pm
Good morning all - Just some background on me -I am a Nurse Practitioner who is also Certified WOCN (wound ostomy continence nurse)
I have a couple things to say on this topic.
I am currently working on a paper with the National WOCN Ostomy Panel called Best Practice-Peristomal Hernias. So this topic is one of my favorites to talk about.

1. Check with your surgeon.  Some folks are good candidates for surgery most are not.  The incidence of perastomal hernias is high in loop colostomies-30% end up with hernias. The incidence is also high if you had loop ileostomy-28% chance of getting hernia.
The best treatment is to have surgery, however, ther is a very high risk for recurrence of a hernia if you have the surgery. That is why most surgeons will not do surgery, unless your hernia is a real bugger.  We have found that most hernias can be managed conservatively using hernia belts, exercises, and education.

2. GET A HERNIA BELT.  THe edge park catalog has pages of great belts.  Make sure you get fitted for one correctly. you should be laying down when you put it on, this allows the bulge (hernia to settle down where it should be) Then put the belt on. NOT too tight.  

3. Exercise- there are several abdominal strengthing exercises to use to strengthen your abdomal muscles.  Go to www.stomasupportgarments.com to get exercise directionsa and information on belts.

4. Education.  DO not lift any thing heavy, over 5 lbs. Do not reach up in cabnet to bring something down ( that is the worse thing to do),.  Know what to look for if  your stoma is obstructed.  (stoma will change color, get darker,dusky).  

There are three types of peristomal hernias.  subcutaneous, intrastomal and interstitial.  Some do not cause any symptoms, ( these should get a belt for sure)
Some may cause aching, pain, nausea, appliance leakage.

Risk factors for a hernia are weight, age, smoker, infection, muscle strain, raised intra-abdominal pressure, previous hernia.

Hope this helps you all.   If you want any further information. Let me know.  K Bear

* Bachelor of Science in Nursing
Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:59 pm
Kbear,
Thanks for all of the info you provide.  I have a hernia, and it is very painful...like real bad cramps, so I'm going to talk to my surgeon about a repair.  Meanwhile, I tried to get a hernia belt from my ostomy supplier...Binsons.  They said I need to be measured by my doctor's office (they are colorectal surgeons).  However, the doctor's office said they don't do it, and didn't know who would.  Who would do the measuring?  How can I find an ostomy nurse?  Thanks for any info you can provide.

Peace & Love in the Universe...
Nurse
Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:08 pm
Keysgirl,
You can go to the WOCN web site . GOOGLE WOCN.
Go to Patient Referal. Go to the right side  of the screen, fill in your zip code and a list with contact information will pop up.
If you have any problems E-mail me again and I will talk you through measuring yourself. It will be the best thing for you, the belt.

* Bachelor of Science in Nursing
Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:09 pm
Kbear,

Thanks for the info about wocn.org.  Unfortunately, there were no referrals for the
Detroit, MI area.  The supplier said I need to know the style of belt, the letter size of the hole, any special instructions, and a prescription.  I read in the paper, that you recommended above, that having a hole in the belt for your stoma, defeats the purpose of the belt, and doesn't provide the needed support.  So, I'm not sure I can make the necessary decisions if I do measure myself, plus I still need the prescription.

After my surgery I had an ostomy nurse from Visiting Nurses Association who helped me get adjusted to meeting my ostomy needs.  I'm thinking I should see if I can still utilize their services.  Otherwise, I'm not sure what to do.

Thank you...
Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:00 pm

Hi Kbear, have mutiple hernia repairs with mesh, not working well. What do you know about abdominal muscle transplant surgery. Plastic surgeon at Ohio State is currently performing as complex hernia repair. Does is it work or have major complications?

thanks mike

Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:28 pm

Hey Riemann you meant to send this to kbear , but you sent it Angelicamarie best wishes angelicamarie

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.