Giving Up

Replies
Views
KennyT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-fWDrZSiZs

I know I only post music but what the hell.
three
KennyT ~ I love the feeling of the words "I will go down with this ship, and I won't put my hands up and surrender" even though the meaning of those words for me has nothing in common with the meaning of those words in the song.

That song unlocks memories of 2006, one of the most difficult times in my life and my youngest daughter's life and yet in many ways one of the most magical and transformative times. That was the year she (then 16, now 21 wearing the red top in the family photo below) was constantly in and out of the hospital for multiple operations related to FAP leading to a J-pouch and culminating with an ileostomy; the year I watched her dying (and then amazingly surviving); the year her surgeons told me they were nervous during her second operation when she lay immobilised but conscious (her vitals were so weak that they could not put her under) while she was opened up and a necrotic J-pouch was removed; the year she awoke in ICU with a permanent ileostomy and I gave her a clipboard and a pen because she couldn't talk with a breathing tube down her throat, and she scribbled these words on that clipboard: "Dad . . . I could hear everyone talking and I could feel them cutting me open, but I couldn't move or open my eyes or tell them to stop!".

Yes . . . that was the song on the radio during some of our drives to and from the hospital . . . and I thank you for trusting your instincts and posting it!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,358 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

KennyT
What a wonderful post three and it makes me think of the songs I hear that make me remember my wife and the emotions that run through my mind. At times I just bawl my eyes out but I sit back and take solace in the fact that I look upon them as a serenade to her as opposed to sad songs.

Your post brought a tear to my eye three and I adored the sentiments attached.
KennyT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LuGzwNy2ws
gutenberg
Three, that was a really touching story,I read it three times. But what really got to me was what your daughter wrote,

with a breathing tube down her throat, and she scribbled these words on that clipboard: "Dad . . . I could hear everyone talking and I could feel them cutting me open, but I couldn't move or open my eyes or tell them to stop!".

I was reminded of asking for paper and pen when I could no longer stand that ^%$% pipe another minute, but your story about her being aware, well that really got to me, Ed
Thanks for sharing.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
three
KennyT and Ed and everyone on this site ~ I am contantly amazed by everyone's unique story . . . the impossibilities that each has experienced; and I never want to regress to the time when only my own impossibilities were visible on the horizon.

KennyT ~ when I click your second link, I get this message from YouTube:
The uploader has not made this video available in your country.
Sorry about that.
KennyT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1GmxMTwUgs
three
Thanks KennyT, that YouTube link worked.
budd002
bsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp;
nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbspThe uploader has not made this video available in your country.

nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp; nbsp;
Sorry about that.....Darn Canada....
jjMonaVie
Wow, what an amazing story. What an amazing daughter you have!! Hope all is well now in your lives.
three
jjMonaVie ~ She certainly is amazing, and so is her story. I only told a small part of that story the part unlocked by KennyT's song as this is not the place for me to say much more; however, I will add the following two elements:

1) seven years before her operations she stood in a hospital room and watched her mother take her last breath, and die from a brain tumour;

2) two years after her operations she stood in a different hospital room and watched me recover from emergency surgery that resulted in a colostomy.

After having witnessed her courage for so many years, my own challenges have seemed rather trivial; and now, as I hear the stories of others on this site, I am inspired even more.