Dealing with an Ileostomy: Feeling Alone at Times

Replies
Views
Daisy2023

I'm new here and just trying to figure the site out. I currently have an ileostomy. I had one when I was younger and then got a J-pouch. Fast forward many years and my J-pouch failed, and I had my surgery in January. Feeling alone at times, so thought I would make a post. So hello!

Axl

Hello...

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,359 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

SallyK

Hello, Daisy.

HenryM

Hiya Daisy.  I've seen some lovely photos of Nova Scotia.  If you have any questions, just post 'em on the Forum and you'll get answers aplenty.  

ron in mich

Hi Daisy, welcome to the site. I've had my ileo for 30 some years.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
eefyjig

Hi Daisy, welcome from another failed J-poucher!

Justbreathe

Hi Daisy - welcome - you've come to the right place

AlexT

Welcome Daisy

CrappyColon

Hi Daisy!!!

A lot of people here have felt alone at one time or another. It doesn't seem like a lot of us have many that "get us" locally.

Hope to hear more about you and your story.

Wildflower 81

Hello Daisy, welcome aboard!

Bryce

Hi Daisy - I think you will find this site informative / useful / entertaining......welcome.

warrior

Looks like the start of a beautiful relationship. Welcome aboard, kiddo.

Bob 48

Hello, Daisy. Failed J-pouch here also that led to vertebral bone infection. My surgery was in September of last year.

Redondo

Hi Daisy

There are plenty of us here in your same position. I am very sorry about your J-Pouch.

I have had my ileostomy for almost 50 years. It took a few months, maybe 1 year, to get used to it. Sometimes, I still think, "How weird is this?" But recently, on this site, I saw many famous people that have a pouch. That idea might not help you, but I had to think of how it saved my life. If I didn't have it done that many years ago, I wouldn't have lived my life and be here writing to you. I have lived a wonderful life so far and I wouldn't change anything for what I have.

Best of luck and write back if you feel alone.

Connie

TerryLT

Welcome to the club Daisy! Lots of us ileostomates here, and we're all here to support and help each other as much as we can. Lots of laughs too. I hope you will stick around!

Terry

P.S. I visited Nova Scotia a few years ago, loved it and can't wait to go back. I see you're from Halifax, just love that city! I'm in Vancouver, about as far away as it's possible to be and still be in Canada!

Ea5ygoing

Hi Daisy

How are you doing?

I have a colostomy since March 2019. It is permanent.

I would love to chat with you and exchange thoughts.

Gordon

gentlejohn

15-44% of J-pouches have problems. 10 fail (poop out). You did not fail. The pouch did not work. I assume the reason for your J-pouch was ulcerative colitis. You are lucky that you could give the J-pouch a try. You have a lot of company here at this website with ileostomates.

Caz67

Hi Daisy, welcome aboard. You have a friend in most parts of the world on this site, and that's what makes it so special on here. Looking forward to seeing your posts. XX

Superme

Hi Daisy and welcome! I've experienced something close to a failed J pouch but no worries, I had a failed continent pouch and I'm still here. There are a lot of good people here to help in any way. Hope you'll stay a while.

Martin26

Welcome to the site. New myself.

Doe1mama

Welcome Daisy, this site will become your best friend. The help and support is unreal!!

Daisy2023

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the kind words. If anyone would care to chat, send me a message. Makes me feel better there are all of you who can relate.

Daisy2023
Reply to gentlejohn

I was very lucky to have my J-pouch for 30 years. I had no idea that was a long time until the doctor told me so many have problems. It was from UC. Apparently down the road I'll be able to try another one although the thought of the surgeries does not make me feel good.

Daisy2023
Reply to TerryLT

Nova Scotia is beautiful, but for our seemingly long winters! Lol

Daisy2023
Reply to SallyK

Another Maritimer, how nice!

Daisy2023
Reply to eefyjig

I was devastated at first, but now I guess it is what it is and I have to be thankful I'm here. Did you have a hard time?

Daisy2023
Reply to CrappyColon

I know one person locally, which kinda surprised me, but I guess you never know who has or had one. I had a conversation with my BF's friend about him having one though. I didn't want anyone to know, but he had gone through the same thing and had an ileostomy for 11 months, ten years ago. We talked about it yesterday a little bit. Different for me. When I had one as a child (had an ostomy and then a reversal years ago), I would cry just thinking someone who knew me knew I had one. This site is great though... so many people coming together that have had their lives changed. Everyone is very nice that I have come across as well....

Daisy2023
Reply to Bob 48

How long did you have your J-pouch?

Daisy2023
Reply to Doe1mama

Really liking it so far!

Daisy2023
Reply to Martin26

Nice to meet you. I'm sure I'm going to be on here quite a bit!