Troubleshooting Adhesive and Leaking Issues with Colostomy Bag

Replies
Views
Lizprimary

I started using Skin Tac, which is covered by insurance and solved this problem for me.

Baggy Pants

I have the same problem. I've tried all the same remedies you've tried. Nothing seems to work. However, the disc that is concave and not flat seems to work slightly better. It fits more like a cup. The other thing I often do is open the pouch and clean out the discharge from time to time before it seeps under the seal. Sometimes I stuff a little bit of TP under where it is lifting, which I remove from time to time. My only other option is to change the disc more often, and that can be costly. Good luck!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,358 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

October22
Reply to Virgo68

If you're having such frequent leaks and difficulty removing adhesive, you're not bothering your nurse. He/she needs to help you resolve your problems. I'm a relatively new ostomate too. In January, I had to see ostomy nurses in my surgeon's office three weeks in a row.

I had bad luck with Hollister flanges and didn't like the pouches. I'm happier with Coloplast Sensura Mio products. But definitely not leak-free!

ahynes111

Wow, you are having trouble. I use Coloplast (that's what they gave me in the hospital). I haven't leaked in a long time. I use the rings and I make sure around my stoma is really dry before adhering. Also, make sure the hole around the stoma shows no skin. Perfect fit.

Ostomate & woundr
Reply to Justbreathe

Just FYI, this was initially brought out by Sween to compete with a more popular product called Calmoseptine. I'm not sure, but I believe that it is available all over the world.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Second Time

To remove adhesive, I just started using '7760 Hollister Adhesive Removing Wipes' last month. They are working really well. I was using Detachol for the past year, which I bought on Amazon on recommendation from my ostomy nurse. The wipes are covered by insurance and are easier to use. I heard about them from Amber of "Ostomy Diaries" on YouTube. Keep trying to find what works best for you!

Daughter

I agree with Mark B about trying a convexity wafer. My mom was having lots of leaks with her colostomy when she first came home from rehab. She was previously using a flat wafer (Convatec) that the hospital gave her upon discharge. But then we had a virtual meeting with an ostomy nurse and she recommended a convex wafer also from Convatec. She advised that the convex wafer will place soft pressure on the skin-stoma junction and decrease the likelihood of leaks under the barrier. Since we switched to the convexity type of wafer, my mom does not have leaks anymore. There were different options for the convexity but my mom personally likes the adhesive coupling between the barrier and the pouch. It's a peel and stick version.

My mom's ostomy nurse also recommended when applying the wafer/barrier, pull the skin above and below the stoma to create a flat surface. She says this will help prevent creases forming under the barrier and allowing stool to leak. Another suggestion from our ostomy nurse is to try applying warmth by keeping your hands over the barrier for about 1-2 minutes after you place it to encourage adhesion. A different nurse recommended to rub the barrier in your hands prior to applying to activate heat.

Hope this helps!! Good luck!!

emmapinknellie

You really need to try different brands. I had the same trouble as you and moved brand and type, and it solved it all. Also.... is your stoma level with your skin or does it stick out? Mine shrank after the op and became what I describe as an innie..... it didn't stick out from the skin. So I started using a soft convex wafer, and that solved a lot of the leakage problems too.

Bertha
Reply to Virgo68

I had a lot of problems in the beginning with leakages. Fortunately, I have the most amazing stoma nurse from Coloplast who tried different pouch samples, and persevered until she found the exact solution for my needs. A few months on and my colostomy prolapsed so badly that it needed to be revised to an ileostomy, and we again began with trial and error as I also developed a parastomal hernia and my body shape had changed.

I changed to a Coloplast Sensura Mio Convex light convex ostomy bag with belt taps, that is worn with a belt that holds it firmly in place, no matter how often I bend or turn in bed. Now I no longer have leakages and I have to remind myself to change my bag after several days, 7 or sometimes more days.

I combine it with a halved barrier ring where my skin is uneven, plus a curved elastic tape either side of the base plate to secure the position of the baseplate. The tape is elastic so it follows your body shape and movements.

When you remove your pouch, look at the back where the hole is and you can usually see where the leak is. Mine is at the bottom of my stoma because of my hernia and a skin fold, so I place the halved barrier ring underneath which solves the problem. I halve them as they, like most stoma products, are costly and it's only the lower half of my stoma that requires a bit of help. I use stoma powder around my stoma, and a spray adhesive remover when I remove my pouch. You don't need much at a time.

Please don't feel that you are bothering your stoma nurse as she is there to help you and once she finds the right product for you, life with an ostomy will be so much easier. Don't be afraid to ask for samples.

Best wishes

Bertha
Reply to October22

I use the Sensura Mio Convex bags with belt tabs and worn with a belt. Combined with curved elastic tape and a halved barrier ring. It's been a real game changer.

Sunshine Girl
Reply to Virgo68

I felt that way at first, too. But after reaching out, having several "stoma therapy" visits, and trying 4 different manufacturers in the first 6 weeks after surgery - I assure you, that's what these nurses are here for. My team has been great about giving me another brand to try; I did contact different companies and got free samples as well. I used to think it was about finding the best brand but now I believe each body type and ostomy situation may have a different manufacturer/type that works best. Please keep trying; it should not leak if you have a proper fit.

Also, you may want to 'wring out' the adhesive wipe and let the drips fall onto the wafer to loosen the adhesive before you even start trying to get it off. That skin will probably become very sensitive and need to be treated more gently. There are different brands of adhesive remover as well if the one you have is not working. The stoma nurse taught me, "push down (with the adhesive remover on the skin), pull up (on the wafer)" and it works very well with no skin irritation.

I hope this helps and I hope you have a great stoma nurse who can help even more...

kffeivor

I had the same issues until I switched to a convex barrier with paste applied to the barrier where it goes on over the stoma. This has pretty much stopped all leaking under the barrier.

Good luck.

e.mawson
Reply to October22

Hi, I'm 6 weeks post-op and also using Coloplast pouches. I'm having a nightmare. I've tried cutting at different sizes, 4 different bags, medical tape, and the banana rings... and just leaks every time. It's so embarrassing out in public. Any advice for a newbie with urostomy? I would be so grateful. My nurse has been twice in 6 weeks and I am no further forward...

Killshot_24523
Reply to e.mawson

Really sorry to hear this. I have a urostomy, too. I use Coloplast 2-piece Sensura Mio Click. Are you using a 1 or 2-piece appliance? I have found it much easier to cut the wafer of a 2-piece closer to my stoma size. I test it, with the backing still on, to make sure it fits properly before I shower. Then dry off really well. I dry my skin with a hair dryer. Apply the barrier wipe and dry with hair dryer again. Then I heat the wafer with the hair dryer. While doing this, I keep my stoma covered with a gauze pad so I don't get pee everywhere. Then I apply the wafer. Use my finger to press down between the ring and stoma. This has worked for me with only 1 leak since doing this. I am about 4 months from surgery. Hope this helps. Oh. And I don't use anything but the wafer and bag, no barrier ring or banana adhesive strips.

Syd34
Reply to Ostomate & woundr

I use Salt Alo Ring which is the best so far, only a small amount of sticky bits stay around the stoma when changing the pouch and this can be cleaned off by using skin barrier wipes.

Ostomate & woundr
Reply to emmapinknellie

I couldn't agree more. As I put in a previous post, our bodies and our body chemistry changes in time. Sometimes what would stick at one time will not stick at a different time, even if you've tried a sample from another company before. Go ahead and try them again; you may find something that works much better for you. I have seen this happen in hundreds of patients and even on my own body.

Ostomate & woundr
Reply to emmapinknellie

I couldn't agree more. As I put in a previous post, our bodies and our body chemistry changes in time. Sometimes what would stick at one time will not stick at a different time, even if you've tried a sample from another company before. Go ahead and try them again; you may find something that works much better for you. I have seen this happen in hundreds of patients and even on my own body.

Past Member

I've had the same issues regarding leaking. To help take off my bags I use a spray. Apologies for not knowing the name of it. I also have a dip where my stoma sits.

So I using bags with the indent cups. Excuse my terminology to things. I have only had my stoma for nearly a month, so I am learning the ropes.

I always make sure around my stoma is dry before applying another bag. When I apply a bag, I make sure that I pull the skin tight around my stoma, so that my stoma is fully visible (if that makes any sense) then apply my bag, so that there is suction and my stoma is fully in its bag slot. My nurse said about it, since then my bags have been staying on a treat. No leaking! Also.

I found out that the stool can actually eat away at the glue that holds the bags. For that reason, I was recommended to change my bag every other day.

I hope any this helps you

Hisbiscus

If it's still getting underneath your rings, you might need a convex pouch. Happened to me. Your nurse would be best to ask about that. Are you using a barrier wipe? Are you using a soap that has no moisturizer in it? Those are things you might wanna try first as well as making sure you have removed adhesive residue when changing each bag. Another option is taking a 4x4 skin barrier and cutting it like a ring. I did that for a while. You just take a 4x4 barrier and cut your stoma hole like you would your pouch and then cut a circle around that just a little smaller than your flange and apply that on the skin first and then apply your stoma bag on top of that barrier. I did wind up in a convex pouch in the end and so far so good.
Also be careful of any shampoo or hair conditioners if you are taking a shower with it off. Hand lotions and all will affect a seal. Even if your bag is in and you go to empty and lotion is on your hand, you are now transferring it to your bag. Rinsing can affect the seal too, but that is a must for me.

Superme

Hello Virgo68! First thing I ask is what shape is your stoma? Secondly, how close is it to your skin? I had an oval-shaped stoma, and it was almost flush with my skin. I used Eakin seals and a convex barrier over the Eakin seal. It worked perfectly. I did get a revision later on to pull my stoma out more so it would flow into the bag. The revision was the best decision I made. I still use the same system, and I haven't had a leak since I don't know when.

Sunshinealot
Reply to Daughter

I use a hair dryer on warm.

betsyb
Reply to Beth22

I agree. I've recently changed to Coloplast and am (fairly) happy. Ask for samples!

betsyb
Reply to Virgo68

Coloplast!

Eagles2023

I don't use anything but coloplast, one piece, it's already frustrating enough without the extras, but that's for me.