Share Your Uplifting Memes and Photos!

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Daisy2023

Hey everyone, just wanted to ask for people to post a meme/photo of something uplifting/sweet/funny etc. or anything you like that is positive. Thought it might be fun.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,090 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

CrappyColon

This may or may not have been based on a real-life story

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Ostomate & woundr

Ostomate & woundr

CrappyColon

This is one of the purest types of love I've ever seen. Sahara (black/white husky) on the right always hated riding in the car. But she insisted on going to Wrigley's (brown/tan/white on left) cancer appointments with him. She would block the door and not let me take him without her. You can see her leaning her body weight into him to help calm him. I'm so thankful I took this picture because it was the last time she was able to go with him. Both are gone now, but I'm thankful for the time I had with each and everything they taught me.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Daisy2023
Reply to CrappyColon

Such a sweet story although sad. Sorry for your loss but I'm glad you can appreciate your time with them. So crazy how she was afraid of cars yet wouldn't let you go without her. Dogs can be so loving, even towards each other, this story shows.

CrappyColon
Reply to Daisy2023

I know. I debated because they are gone now. But it was such a sweet moment. For her last car ride, she couldn't walk anymore so we put the seats down in the back of my van and I lay back there and held her and promised she'd never have to go on a road trip again.

CrappyColon

Ben38

LMSUAO

Ostomate & woundr
Reply to CrappyColon

Actually, I sympathize. Am I the only idiot that says thank you to computers and robots? I am unfailingly polite to Siri, Alexa, and even Google. I'm even working on programming them to say "you're welcome" at the end of an interaction. Currently, they only say that if I use the wake word and then say thank you. Makes some of my visitors' hair stand on end. Hahaha

Ostomate & woundr

Ostomate & woundr

Ostomate & woundr

My children gave this to me. They said, "Mom, this is so you."

CrappyColon
Reply to Ostomate & woundr

My Alexa devices won't listen to my voice just like my kids

bowsprit
Reply to CrappyColon

Did you bring them up from puppyhood together? That makes them very attached to each other, even an aggressive dog and a cat. The worst part is when they depart. I had a friend in Holland, a hard-nosed businessman and hunter. He raised lovely Chesapeake Bay Retrievers. When they reached the final stage in life, he shot them himself rather than having a stranger put them away. He was right, but he said it took a few years off his life.

CrappyColon
Reply to bowsprit

I did. We got the one on the left first and I felt bad for him being alone when we were at work. So I decided he needed a friend so we went to meet these puppies from a rescue in Chicago. We were planning on bringing her brother home because I prefer male dogs' temperaments but he wanted nothing to do with us and the rescue encouraged us to get a female. She was the cutest puppy, classic husky temperament- stubborn, mouthy, could jump to the top of the refrigerator, constantly running away any time she got a chance. She was so good with babies and always knew I was pregnant before I did. Both of my pregnancies she would start sleeping with her head on my lower abdomen which is what prompted me to take pregnancy tests. They were a bonded pair for sure. I didn't think she'd be with us long because you could tell her grief was deep. She wasn't thrilled about the rescue pups I kept bringing home but it gave her a pack and she'd want to keep up with them and they did not mess with her. She made it another 2 years. My current pack is still trying to figure out their new pack order since she's only been gone a few months.

Ben38

Ben38

CrappyColon
Reply to bowsprit

This is Sahara when I brought my son home from the hospital. That was her baby.

CrappyColon
Reply to bowsprit

Sahara with her new pack. She was with us until October 2022

bowsprit
Reply to CrappyColon

It is amazing what animals are capable of. Their eyes express many sentiments and emotions, unfortunately, only a few can read them right. What is it that makes them respond enthusiastically to some and shy away from others? The usual explanations are not necessarily the right ones. Those were lovely dogs you had, and they have left you with fond memories. Hopefully, the ones you have now will carry on to a ripe old age. Best wishes.

Ostomate & woundr
Reply to CrappyColon

I'm sure you've heard the poem of the Rainbow Bridge. I don't think there are too many literate people on the internet who haven't, but in addition to that, I wanted to share my thoughts. To me, heaven wouldn't be heaven without my furry friends. I do believe in heaven, but I believe more, you know, when they were on this Earth, when you would go away, a few seconds was like, "Oh my God, you were gone forever." They don't seem to have any real sense of time, so I believe that God holds them for us in kind of a stasis after they die, so they don't miss us per se, and when we see them again, for them, no time will have passed; they will just be with us again. So, if that thought brings you any solace, I hope that you can enjoy that. I mean, sure, we miss them, of course, but part of the stress, I think, is some people feel that their pet will be missing them too or missing something in their life. I don't choose to believe that they're gone forever, and they don't choose to believe that they will be up there pining away for what they had down here, whether that's us or animal sibling or whatever. Anyway, just wanted to share my thoughts.

CrappyColon
Reply to Ostomate & woundr

I hope that's the case :)

It's funny how I ended up with the 3 I have now, all from the same rescue in San Antonio, and I became friends with 2 of the women who fostered the younger 2. The first needed us, the second I needed him, and the third I brought in because I decided we needed a female in the mix to help with interpersonal issues the 2 males were having lol. My husband says I am on a 7-year ban from adopting another dog. I wish a dog that needs a home would show up in my yard, how could I say no then?

Daisy2023
Reply to CrappyColon

That is so sweet. I remember taking one of my "babies" to the vet for the last time. It's hard, but you know when it's the right thing to do.

TerryLT
Reply to CrappyColon

Your story is very touching. I am not surprised your girl knew when you were pregnant before you did. I am always amazed with how sensitive they are and what their noses can do. We don't have our girl Kacey anymore, (a German Shepherd cross rescue), but about six years ago, when she was still with us, I started to notice something odd. My husband and I always go for an after-dinner walk, and he would sit on the steps leading to the front door, to put his shoes on. Kacey, who would be waiting to accompany us, would stand right beside him and sniff his left ear. I used to comment that she must like the smell of his ears! Sometimes she would whine, and we just thought she was being impatient to go out. About a year later, my husband was diagnosed with squamous cell cancer, that had spread to the lymph nodes on the right side of his neck, just below his ear! I am convinced that she was smelling his cancer. If only we had known what she was reacting to! The good news is though, that he went through a pretty brutal treatment and is still cancer-free today. Dogs are amazing.

Terry

CrappyColon
Reply to bowsprit

Thank you

CrappyColon
Reply to TerryLT

Terry,

I've heard stories about dogs being able to smell different types of cancer, so I bet your girl could. Have you seen how dogs can tell when a person with diabetes blood sugar drops too low? All by scent. When I had my crazy Mali at the vet because she split another nail and I had to hold her head against me while he pulled the nail out I mentioned something about not wanting to squish my ostomy bag or something which led to a conversation about my dogs never sniffing the ostomy bag unless there was a leak starting and what kind of technology/materials they must use if a dog can't smell it. Which made me say out loud I wondered if people could hide drugs in an ostomy bag if the seal was good against the skin, thankfully he laughed and told me that cadaver dogs can smell I forget how many feet under water but it was an impressive depth. Sorry the treatments were so brutal for your husband, but thankful he remains cancer free!!

bowsprit
Reply to CrappyColon

They can smell the bag alright. Some other sense keeps them away. The only time they will upset it is by accident.

CrappyColon
Reply to Daisy2023

It's brutal. I try to be strong for them until they are gone then I fall apart after. Each dog I've had has added to my life and changed me in different ways.

bowsprit

The most knowledgeable folks regarding dogs and other animals are those from a rural background, not urban dwellers. That stands to reason. Sally K here qualifies; her parents had a farm. We had a gamekeeper with a deep understanding of animals and people; this acumen somehow leads to success in dealing with humans also. A thriving businessman from our area who is barely literate started small but now owns two large sugar mills. Rural wisdom can lead to success, and those in the business world know that the shrewdest business folks come from a rural background; that is perhaps true of the US also.