Hollister Lock N Roll Bag Leaking Issues?

Replies
Views
w30bob

Hi gang,

I mentioned this the other day in another post, but want to pull the string on this and see if it's just me or a widespread problem with Hollister Lock N Roll closure bags. Check out the pics below to see what I'm talking about. I've seen both sides leak in the same location relative to the seal. I think what's happening is when you roll up the closure... any air or output gets rolled up to this point under the closure and then when you squeeze the closure shut on each end to seal it any trapped air or output has nowhere to go... and overpressurizes the plastic... and it blows out.

I've looked at a number of bags under magnification and they all fail the same way at the same locations. I've stopped it by thoroughly drying the bag in that location and putting a piece of Scotch Tape over the rip. But I shouldn't have to. I'm going to contact Hollister, but wanted to know if anyone else is having the same issue.

Seems I can only upload one pic per post, so I'll put the blowup of the area leaking in the next post.

Thanks,

Bob

w30bob

Ok, here's the second pic......

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,358 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Happytostillbehere

I've been using Hollister since my surgery back in October last year and haven't had any problems like you're having. The only thing that I do is that I clean the inside about an inch and a half with toilet paper, make sure that it's dry, and then follow the directions that come with the box. They say to seal it from the center out. The only other thing that I do, and I don't know if this makes a difference, is after a day or two, the Velcro portions clog up a little bit and I clean them with an old toothbrush. I don't know if this makes any difference, but like I said, I haven't had any problems.

w30bob
Reply to Happytostillbehere

Hi Happy,

Thanks for the reply. I just contacted Hollister and then sent them some pics. Not sure what they'll say, but we'll see. I also told them to make black bags (so I don't have to dye or paint them), but I doubt they'll listen. I considered trying to clean out the bag before I rolled it up, but the part that's blowing out is actually really far up the end of the bag when you go to clean it.....all the way past the Lock N Roll assembly. I just put a new bag on, as mine was leaking this morning, and will try to be more gentle with it.

I did read what you said about starting from the center, and I've tried it both ways.........doesn't seem to really make any difference. And it really shouldn't........because where the bag is ripping, or blowing out, is above the Lock and Roll seal, so any pressure in that area just goes up into the bag. It's not making sense at all right now. The phone operator asked if I was tugging on my bag when I emptied it. Who tugs on their bag?? But she was very nice..........and we'll see what their team comes back with.

I'm starting to think when they heat-bond the Lock and Roll seal to the bag it creates a weak point in the plastic. But I'll have to cut a new one up and put it under the microscope to check that theory. And it's way too nice of a day outside today to do that now. Maybe tonight. But thanks for your reply and I'm glad you're not having any issues.

;O)

eefyjig

Hey Bob, I don't have the issue you're having but sometimes my Hollister bag Velcro closure doesn't close well. I called them once and they sent replacement bags for my faulty ones.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
AlexT

No issue ever from my Hollister bags and I probably squeeze them closed harder than most do.

CrappyColon

I had a dramatic fall back on whatever the patient table recliner things are called over this style bag with my WOC RN Karen (she's the one on the advisory board for the co I can't remember). I think it was the 6th one we had tried? It was the only one that my dogs ever sniffed at. The morning I saw Karen, she said I was the 3rd patient already that day having issues with that style. We moved on. Karen found one that finally worked for me. She's my hero. The end.

SusieLou3

I have used Hollister exclusively since my surgery in 2006. In the last year, their quality has declined greatly. I too have had issues with rips and I'm seeking another company at this time.

jeanneskindle

Have you tried ConvaTec bags? Not one has ever torn and I tug on them like a crazy person!

tmn68

I had the exact thing happen to me!

w30bob
Reply to eefyjig

Hi eefy,

Yup. I called them earlier and they're sending me two boxes of new bags, and they were very nice about the whole thing. We'll see what their team handling my issue has to say, but so far they've been good to work with.

;O)

w30bob
Reply to tmn68

Hi tmn,

Thanks. I haven't heard back from Hollister's team... but I told the gal I talked to today on the phone that I'd ask the folks on this forum if anyone else was having similar issues. I also spent some time reviewing how I open, empty, and close the closure system. I'm still not seeing anything I'm doing wrong at any stage... so the jury is still out. I'll let everyone know what they say. What's strange is nothing has changed in how I open or close these bags... yet I didn't have this issue for the first 3 months I've used it... it's only these last couple weeks. That makes me think it's a bag quality issue, rather than something I'm doing wrong. We'll see. But thanks for letting me know I'm not alone.

;O)

w30bob
Reply to jeanneskindle

Hi J,

I have not... but will be looking for another solution if I can't get to the bottom of this issue. Thanks for the tip!

;o)

w30bob
Reply to SusieLou3

Hi Susie,

Thanks for the input. I was using Hollister when they switched their bags to the new thinner "crinkly" type... and wasn't impressed. Then I switched to Sensura Mio due to skin irritation issues with the Hollister stuff. Then back in January, I got a stoma revision and they started me back on Hollister products. Smaller barrier and the Lock N Roll closure system, and I've been using them since. Interestingly, the skin irritation I had previously hasn't returned... but I now have this bag quality issue. If they can't figure this out, I will be looking for another option.

;O)

w30bob
Reply to CrappyColon

Oh....it's never "the end" with you........but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Later Ricochet Rabbit,

;O)

IGGIE

Bob, the other day you were bragging about how many days you can get out of a bag. You also said how often you have to empty your bag daily. It's called wear and tear. If you use something often enough, it will fall apart. Regards, IGGIE

ron in mich

Hi Bob, just a thought but could it be something on the inside of your clothing rubbing on it to make a thin spot.

w30bob
Reply to IGGIE

Hi Ig,

Yes... I understand wear and tear, but isn't it odd that I can get 11 days out of one bag... and only 1 day out of others? With no changes to anything? And consider that in the 9 years I've had my ostomy I've never had an ostomy bag fail before my barrier gave up the ghost, and I've re-used bags lots of times when I forgot to re-order my supplies on time... so why are they failing now? I'm leaning heavily toward a batch of defective bags. But we'll see what Hollister comes up with. As luck would have it... these bag issues started right after I wore that one for 11 days. As others have said... Hollister has had production issues in the past... which makes me wonder.

;O)

w30bob
Reply to ron in mich

Hi Ron,

The area where the bag is rupturing, or blowing out, faces out... so it never comes in contact with my clothes or anything else. Yesterday I looked very closely at how I open and close my bag... and don't see anything I'm doing that stresses that part of the bag. So I'm still dazed and confused... as always.

;O)

CrappyColon
Reply to w30bob

You're right.

Had to Google Ricochet Rabbit... before my time and all that, but I did see a clip of him saying "ping ping ping" and now my life is more enriched. So thank you.

When I talked to Hollister about their bag colors, I told them they were not inclusive to people of color, and they should really consider that for patients of color. I thought that might get them moving faster. There's someone in this group who just had a Hollister rep at her house, and he's making her a custom bag now. I don't know if it's just certain areas that a rep will come to your house like that or she has great insurance or? They've even responded when I've tagged them on Instagram before.

jeanneskindle
Reply to CrappyColon

I have a great ConvaTec rep named Harold. He doesn't go to homes that I am aware of.

CrappyColon
Reply to jeanneskindle

I'll have to ask her the details.

elwick
Reply to eefyjig

Hi, I also have had problems with the Velcro closure not gripping correctly. I have an ileostomy so it is opened and closed as much as 10 times in a day. I thought it was just me wearing the Velcro out.

w30bob
Reply to elwick

Hi Elwick,

Yeah, the closure is a bit finicky. Sometimes you just touch the two pieces of Velcro together and it holds, other times you have to press hard until you hear the click. I find there's variation from bag to bag, which makes no sense whatsoever. So it's not you.

;o)

Happytostillbehere

One of the ostomates had a tip on the Velcro closures and I've been using it and haven't had any problems with it. I use a loose paper clip and it does the job. Comes in various sizes and doesn't show under your shirt.

w30bob
Reply to Happytostillbehere

Hi Happy,

You've obviously not read my post about how while at work I dropped the plastic clip from my old Hollister bag in the toilet just as I flushed. Talk about a WTF moment!

Interestingly, although I've occasionally found the Velcro closure mostly unhooked......I've never had it come completely undone or had a leak from it. Rolling it up on itself 3 times probably does a good job of sealing. And the paper clip idea is a good one. I can get a black one to match my dyed black bag! Genius!!

;O)

Doe1mama

My husband uses similar ConvaTec bags with no problem.

Sunshinealot
Reply to w30bob

I use a small paper clip and that has solved my issue

w30bob

I think I figured this one out. Hollister never emailed or called, so I'm crossing them off my Christmas card list. But looking at the bags that failed and new bags....it seems the failed bags didn't have their Lock N Roll seal properly attached. Where in my pics you can see the corner of the Lock N Roll plastic lifting up from the bag in the corner........that isn't the case on new bags from a different lot. So I think I just need to check that area before putting on a new bag and toss all those that are defective. Where's my damn lawyer when I need him!

;O)

Happytostillbehere
Reply to Sunshinealot

Tried using paper clips before, but found out that taking them off, I was putting small pinholes into the pouch. It happened twice, and now I'm using loose-leaf paper clips and haven't had any problems.