Using Imodium Safely with an Ostomy: Seeking Advice

Replies
Views
eefyjig

Thanks, folks. I was mostly concerned with the number of times I'd have to go plus the odor since I'll be there all day. I just didn't want to stop myself up so much that I have a blowout which would be worse than emptying my bag all the time. You've all given me reassurance and very helpful advice that I can work with!

Hisbiscus

I would just tell them so you can do as you please and not leave them wondering in case they would smell something or if there was some kind of accident. No need to hide it. I'm sure they will be quite understanding. Most people are and have compassion about it. It's just going to make you so uncomfortable the whole trip and taking a medication that you really don't need.
That is just my personal opinion though. You will have to do what makes you comfortable.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,358 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

eefyjig
Reply to Hisbiscus

I understand what you're saying and normally I just tell people to wait about twenty minutes after I'm done (depending on who I'm with, I make a joke out of it and say, "I'm warning you, wait twenty minutes before you go in there if you know what's good for you.") Just a different group this time.

CrappyColon
Reply to eefyjig

It really can make a difference who you're with and where your comfort level is with them. Do what you need to do to be comfortable.

brianbazajou

I recently found an online pharmacy that sells 300 loperamide tablets for $19.99 (Life Sciences Pharmacy) but I have plenty of them already, so I won't be ordering from them for a while. I was paying three times as much.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Jmw101

One helpful thing I have found is those little sprays that you spray into the toilet before you go. I sometimes use it at work. I found one in the dollar store.

vanestag
Reply to Toby

Lomotil is the only thing that works for me. When I'm at home, I can get by with taking 2 tablets before I eat. That way, my stoma is quiet during bedtime. Otherwise, if going to be away from home, I take 3. That can hold things off till I get home. OTC meds don't do a thing for me, and I've been experimenting with them for the last 15 years.

eefyjig
Reply to CrappyColon

So true.

eefyjig

Such great feedback from all of you. Thank you!

Hockeycards
Reply to LJB222

Hi my husband took 16 tablets a day x 8 mths with his high flow ileostomy.I now have his food under control and use the imodium less.

Imodium requires lots of fluid and in our experience it will greatly slow down motility if enough fluid volume is not present.When we had pain from slow motility it was because we did not gauge the fluid volume accurately.

Always do what is right for you.