Ostomy Memories of Sporting Life

Replies
Views
HenryM
Jun 15, 2023 7:31 am

ALL SPORTS ARE COMPLICATED BY the presence of the opposing team.  The nerve of those guys, trying to keep us from scoring points, or goals, or runs, or whatever.  Each side has good players, and each side has God on its side.  Each side has practiced hard, and reviewed different plays, and plotted strategy, and told their spouses not to worry, and divulged nothing of consequence to their mistresses.  All the players have devoted time to working out and staying fit, to icing their muscles and deicing the misgivings of Doubting Thomases.  They are staying positive and trusting their coaches and taking it one game at a time.  Wait a moment!  Are we talking about sports, or the business world, or politics, or just about all human endeavors?  Is that why sports metaphors are so common in our conversation?  ‘He has two strikes against him,’ someone says of a guy twice divorced, or twice arrested, or twice just about any screw up.  Everything just seems so competitive.  Maybe next year, when some fellow wins the world chess championship, they’ll dump a container of Gator Aid on his head.  

Justbreathe
Jun 15, 2023 11:26 am

Ahhh ha... could this be the origin of the metaphor "setting goals"? I, for one, am glad those goal-setting days are over and, as I approach my 80th birthday this year, I frequently find myself singing...

"Drop kick me, Jesus, through the goal posts of life." JB

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 35,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

HenryM
Jun 15, 2023 1:53 pm
Reply to Justbreathe

Ah, but you'll still need to cover your bases, level the playing field, run interference, and finally, sadly, wait till next year.  

Justbreathe
Jun 15, 2023 3:09 pm

Think I'm good, Henry...

Cover bases = Dirt bags (so grateful that community landscapers do this for me)

Level the playing field = No more steps

Run interference = Has been reduced to a walk

Wait till next year = "Patience is not the ability to wait but to keep a good attitude while waiting," therefore I sing