Welcome to California. Get out your wallet.

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Beachboy

California has many great attractions.  Beaches and beach cities, forests, mountains, great coastal drives, Hollywood (well.. kinda), state parks, restaurants of all types:  To name a few attractions.

A diverse place of beauty (Santa Cruz) and ugly (San Francisco & LA). rolled into a now disintegrating state.  My wife & I were born here.  Worked hard to have a nice life.  We never stray far from our city.  Safer that way.  At Christmas holiday time we take our annual drive to central California.  Very nice at this time of year.  With the occasional rainy day.  

Taxes.  Let's talk tourist taxes.  My room in Santa Cruz had "room tax" of $45.51 a day.  Plus "tourism city tax" of $4.05 a day.  Plus "California tourism assessment" tax of $.74 a day.  Hotels also now charge for parking, $15.00  a day.

Coming here on vacation?  Bring plenty of cash.  And pay close attention to parking signs.  They are confusing on purpose.  Cities make lots of cash from unwary tourists via parking tickets.  

Next year we're probably going on a cruise.  Cheaper and safer.  Count me as a tiny blip on a statistical chart of disenfranchised taxpayers.

AlexT

If I saw a seperate parking charge on my hotel room, I’d never rent a room there. 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,278 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Mysterious Mose

Back in the mid-70s, the saying in Colorado was "Don't Californicate Colorado". I left the state 1975 and came back in the late 80s. The first thing I noticed is that it was only a slogan. 😪

Daniel

Beth22

I used to live in California.  Not a very great place to be in my opinion 

Beachboy
Reply to AlexT

Hard to find a hotel that's near where you want to be, that does not charge for parking.  

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
warrior

🎵🎶 welcome to the Hotel California.... such a lovely place.... such an expensive place ....🎵you better bring your wallet and the suitcase full of cash.... otherwise you will.. otherwise you will ...be sleeping on your ass🎵🎶😂🤣😂

yea living it up ..🤑🎼🎵🎶 at the ho- tel california..any time of year- any time of year-  you just can never park there🎵..🚔  oh!

Beachboy
Reply to Beth22

Used to be great.  But with years of single political party rule... has gone downhill fast.  68 billion dollar state budget deficit this year.  Last year CA had a 100 billion dollar surplus.  Politicians love spending other people's money. 

Our Governor now dreams of being president.  He was mayor of San Francisco for years... gee, how's that once great city now doing?