Unique placement of ileostomy: How to empty pouches effectively?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
socalileo
Many thanks to everyone for their input on my question and the issue that it has become for me.

I got a lot of unique, imaginative, and downright common sense ideas that I can use in conjunction with the others to come up with a plan that is best for me. I wasn't sure about a longer toilet bowl like they have out in public bathrooms. But, someone said Kohler makes them. That's another helpful piece of information since that works so well when I am at a public bathroom. A hinged shelf attached to the sink cabinet at the right height is also another brilliant idea.

I'm not on this site very often but I am very thankful that it and all of you are here to help me and others with these hiccups that come up in the lives of ostomates. I will post help I may have when I am here and will hopefully return the favor to someone else.

Thank you all again!
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,097 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

gutenberg
Hi Socalileo, I'm sure I speak for all when I say "that's what we're here for", it will be interesting to find out what you come up with that serves your purpose and good luck in your endeavour, Ed
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Gypsy

I have another suggestion for easier emptying of your pouch. Get a new toilet bowl. The type where the toilet is higher than usual and is elongated in the front. This is sometimes listed as being for seniors; the taller toilet makes for easier sitting down and getting up. And the elongated bowl would probably allow you to lean forward and empty your pouch, especially if you sit scooted back on the toilet seat.

Best of luck,

Gypsy
reddog
Hello again Socalileo. Sorry, I forgot about the fact that I'm 5' 11" tall when I recommended using a vessel. You may try putting the vessel in the sink. That should lower it somewhat.
Anyway, it seems to me a lot of the suggestions you're getting seem a bit complicated to me.

I'm fortunate the vessel thing works perfectly for me. The only time I ever get on my knees is when I have to go into a public restroom. By the way, you and I share almost an identical surgical experience. The only difference is I had U.C.
dina93

My stoma is similarly located (looks like I have a third breast sometimes because it will extend itself - when going out socially, I use a cinch belt to hold it flat against my body) - guess my muscle wall has collapsed some) - anyway, while in the hospital they used a triangular-shaped plastic 'vase' about 10"-12" tall which they gave to me (a good substitute would be a plastic water bottle with the top cut off) - so I empty into that then empty into the toilet - no bending down and dealing with the toilet!!! - when I am traveling (which I do quite a bit and am currently in Europe) I use the Ziploc bags and check frequently -

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
wolf

At home, I use a four-legged stool placed in front of the toilet to empty my pouch. The height is ideal, no mess, no splashing.

Past Member

Hi, I have a colostomy, and when I was in the hospital, a guy who was wheelchair-bound told me he emptied his ileostomy bag into a child's potty, which he, in turn, emptied into the toilet. Just a suggestion, it seemed to work for him.

Capt Dave

For me, this is what I do!!!!
I have a small stool in my bathroom, I sit on the stool facing the toilet. By the way, I use a 2-piece appliance, I lift up the bag and remove the clip. I have a bottle of water sitting on my toilet (just a soda or water bottle). I pour some cold water into the bag and empty it into the toilet, then I repeat that several times until the bag is clean. Then, I wipe the tail of the bag, add odor eliminator, and reclose the bag!!!! Simple and has worked for 12 years.
Hope this helps you.
Dave

newcomer

Hello, I had my surgery a year and a half ago. My stoma is also located in a bad place, and I had the exact same issues. I would have stuff everywhere, and I hated to go out in public. Even at home, the bag would slip out of my hand. I could not get balanced. So, I had a long talk with my surgeon and got medical permission to use the throwaways. I have a life again, as close to normal as possible. Just take off, put in a blue bag, snap on another one, and throw the bag away. And there you go. You will do much better. Check it out.

newcomer

I did the kneeling thing for a while. I tried padding the floor so my knees did not get sore, but the stoma and bag are still in too awkward of a position. Talk to your surgeon and he can write a script for a two-piece disposable, which is so much easier in every way. Good luck.

Primeboy

Speaking of being creative, Lalu, here's another idea which might shorten the length of your high output device (so you can wear shorts in the summer). If you have the Hollister high output bag, you can loop a 3-inch rubber band through a belt hole and then around the plug at the base. When you insert the plug, the rubber band will shorten the bag by 4 inches but without the loss of any volume. You may even get better stability since the bag won't flop around as much. If Martha Stewart were an ostomate, she'd agree you can learn something new every day at this site.
socalileo
Hi Ed,
Thanks for being there for all of you and thanks for sharing and giving all of this wonderful advice. I'm glad that's what you're here for.

There is even more advice! I've never heard of disposable bags. I bet that's pricey. At this point, I'm kneeling on foam pads until I decide what to do. The higher, longer toilet bowl seems like a good idea for both my back and emptying. I have to see how much they cost. The labor will be free so if it's not too bad, that seems to be the easiest fix. But, who knows? When I show my cousin this list of ideas, he may come up with a combination of everything and invent something that will help us all and make us all rich!

I'll keep you posted.
Socalileo
Mick_Finn2

I use a container to empty my colostomy. The kind that delis sell potato salad in. It gets to look a little gross but there is no splashing and the pour from the container into the toilet keeps things fairly clean. Decorate a coffee can and put it over the container when it's not in use.

tello
Hi newcomer,

I have an ileostomy and use a 2-piece Convatec (Velcro) system. I trust these bags more than I do a bag with a clip (I had a clip "pop-off" one time). Anyway, I really like to dispose of my bag daily and my insurance does cover the costs for daily bags. I bought the black "Ostaway" bags which are great to dispose of your used ostomy bag . . . . these "Ostaway bags" are thick, odor-proof, inexpensive and just zip-lock closes. The only question I have is this . . . Often I am over at a friend's house, at a meeting, etc. and I need to dispose of my bag. I personally don't see why anyone would become alarmed at seeing a black zip-lock bag in their trash can or "heaven forbid" decide to look in it. My husband thinks it is a really bad idea to dispose of it in someone else's wastebasket though. So, what do you all think? So often I just want to change bags and get rid of the old one and this happens even when I am away from home. Any suggestions?

Lisa
Xerxes
Tello,

I agree with you; waste is waste as long as it is disposed of properly i.e., placed in the proper receptacle, recyclable v. non-recyclable. I don't know many people who look into and examine waste cans just to examine a small inconspicuous bag that is sealed. If people do such a thing, there must be a special name for them like.......

X_
Lalu

Like...?????

Lalu
Welcome, Tello.

If someone is going to be that nosy, I think they'll receive a lesson in staying out of others' business they won't soon forget. Or as Xerxes alluded to, maybe that would be the thrill of a lifetime for some people. I've stayed in hotels or had leaks in public places. No way am I carrying that around. Don't lose a moment's sleep over this one.

Again, welcome to the club no one wants to join.
ilsn2u

One more possibility--sit on the toilet seat the other way (facing the back)--easier to "bend over" and empty into the toilet that way. You can sit back far enough so that you can bend, then. I, too, empty from a standing position, because splash-backs from the sitting positions were giving me urinary tract infections.

Necro1134

I can't sit back far enough on my home toilet either, so I drain my pouch into a container and then pour a good amount of water into the container, then pour everything into the toilet. I have bad knees, so I can't kneel in front of the toilet, and I have a bad back, so I can't bend over the toilet either. So the container is my new best friend. I happen to use the triangle ones the hospitals have (the ones with measurements on the sides). They are shaped just right to hold between your legs without it slipping away.

socalileo

I am currently on vacation but when I get home I am seriously thinking about getting the toilet that is elongated installed. I sent my cousin to Home Depot to price them. I think that will be the solution that I end up going with.

Another big thank you for all of the suggestions.

bag_n_drag

I just replaced my toilet with one of those higher (chair height), elongated bowl toilets and it is wonderful! I got the Kohler brand.....not cheap (around $230) but worth every single cent.

Lalu

Good for you! I can't even bring myself to get underwear made for our situation.

Past Member

Hi there, what happens if you have a leak, for example? I don't see a problem with disposing of used appliances. Wherever you are, I am sure we all take great care to do a clean, pong-proof job! I know I have needed to empty and/or change the bag/flange nearly everywhere I have been and am sure 99% of the time no one knew. After all, folks dispose of dirty nappies/diapers without worry. I know someone who moans at his parent for throwing his bag away daily, but it is better wrapped than the dog muck the son throws in the bin daily! TC

newcomer

I have the bags that come with the supplies and just hold it under and undo and it drops into the bag. I use wipes and put everything in the blue bag, tie it up, and toss it. All done and sanitary.

Yukon steve

I found the most comfortable way is to kneel on the floor and let the bag hang into the toilet.

socalileo
Hello again all!
It's been a while and I had a lot of things to think about and try from all of your suggestions. I finally decided that the best option for me would be to go ahead and get a new toilet. I did get a Kohler one that is ADA height and has an elongated bowl. I was in Lowe's and Home Depots with my tape measure, measuring the inside diameter of toilet bowls. They probably thought I was nuts! I even had the people that worked there climbing up the ladder to measure the toilets that were on display up on the wall. As someone said in an earlier post, the toilet cost was about $240 including tax. Even though the toilet bowl was elongated, the toilet seats were all the same inside diameter. I ended up going to Plumbers Warehouse and purchasing an open front elongated toilet bowl seat with lid. So, now I have plenty of room to empty my bag while sitting on my toilet. The "chair" height toilet is also nice. Now I have to be careful when I am out because I forget and "fall down" onto the lower toilets!

I would not have been able to get through the last few months without your helpful tips and would not have even known about a toilet that could meet my needs. Sometimes it's the little things that make life easier and being able to sit down on a toilet and empty my bag between my legs has definitely done that. If anyone else has a similar issue and can afford to do it, I would highly recommend getting a new toilet. It has made all the difference in the world and will help me for the rest of my life.

Thank you all again!
Socalileo
hasseman
Hi.
I have not read all replies but...

I had an ileostomy since 2008. I just stand in front of the toilet and empty it. Keeping it simple is my best tip.
It works perfectly for me and still does after all these years.
Rhian
mine is in the 'normal' place so I empty it between my legs when I have a wee, and sit as far back as possible, but if it's high up, it obviously is more difficult. I think too that kneeling down is the best option for you. I'm usually very sick each morning with the Crohn's, even in remission, and whilst at home I kneel on a towel to protect my knees. when ot I'm sure something small and inflatable to kneel on would suit, like a camping pillow.
Rhian

'White Rose' makes very comfortable underwear - it keeps the bag in a pocket and stops it from rubbing against your legs, and gives good security too.