Help needed for husband's persistent stoma rash - desperate for advice!

In this discussion
Replies
Views
suefelli
Hi everyone. My name is Sue and I live in NJ. My husband had a temporary colostomy on August 2nd due to a ruptured intestine and a bad abscess from a bad diverticulitis attack. Unfortunately, at the time, we did not have health insurance, so when he was leaving the hospital, we received a quick 5-minute lesson on stoma care and were sent home. The doctor would not approve a home health care nurse to come check on us, so we have been "winging" it on our own. For the first 6 weeks, all was as well as can be expected. 3 weeks ago, the "RASH" came to visit and has been here ever since.

After a visit to the wound nurse who we saw in the hospital, he was told it was a fungal rash from not shaving around the stoma. Unfortunately, I was not able to go to the doctor with him, so I did not get to hear all the details. He was prescribed a powder to treat the rash and sent on his way. The first time we put the powder on that night, it was a nightmare. We put the antibiotic powder, then a barrier powder the nurse said we should have been using the whole time, but neglected to tell us in the hospital. Next was the skin prep followed by the skin tac glue. We put the flange on, sat there a minute, sat up, and the whole thing fell off. We started over, left the antibiotic powder around the stoma for an hour, wiped it off, put the skin prep and skin tac on, and the flange stuck well. After the second application of the antibiotic powder, all was better. Until yesterday, the "RASH" is back again. It oozes and we cannot get the flange to stick. It's so frustrating and expensive. We do have health insurance now, but it will not cover the flanges, bags, paste, etc., since it is pre-existing. So every time we go through a flange, it is expensive.

Does anyone have any suggestions since I am obviously doing something wrong? It is so frustrating to do the whole process and have it fail time after time. Are there other steps that I do not know about, since we really have no idea what we are supposed to do for the stoma care? Please help.

Thank you,

Sue
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,098 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

StarUK

Bless you, it sounds like you're going through hell. Firstly, can I say you aren't doing anything wrong, except helping your husband the best way you can and with very little support, by the sounds of it.
I think you need to find out what this rash is, for a start. You say it's oozing, I would think your doctor should be swabbing it to see if it grows anything. It's very hard to use an antibiotic topically if this area is always being wet. I live in the UK and the system is different, so I feel unable to help too much, but I think you need more support and there must be a stoma group near you. You could do with some support too. With me, it was trial and error, which I realize is a very expensive exercise when you're paying for everything.

Anyway, we are here to help. Feel free to yell, and I hope you get it sorted out.

Trish

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
funnygurl

I also sometimes have this problem. I use an antibiotic powder and then spray on a skin protector called "Cavilon". I use a hair dryer to dry it before using an adhesive paste and the flange. I have also used Mylanta painted on the rash before the skin prep and flange or calamine lotion. Unfortunately, not all hospitals prepare patients as well as they should. I had access to a nurse who specialized in ostomies and also got a lot of help from a chat room at www.ostomyland.org. One of the frequent chatters there is a retired ostomy nurse and very helpful.

Past Member
Hi Sue,

I really feel for you. It's a situation like going round in circles. Like the others say, you need more support and help with hubby's skin. I too agree your doctor should be swabbing the skin. It must be so hard paying for the flanges. I know what it's like when things don't stick for a reason. You tend to get through more and more flanges. I do hope you get him sorted and that you get some support.

Take care, Ambies ..x
peaches

Sue, the area should be clean (Baby Wipes are good) and dry. First, skin prep, then anti-fungal powder. Put on the bag and if he uses a belt, just have him wear it for 3 or 4 hours to make sure the bag is set. Did the nurse measure him for the right size opening for his stoma? The stoma weeps or drains all the time. The opening is to fit around the stoma and not on it. Get a transparent bag so you can see what is going on. A great bag that I use is Coloplast #15623. It's already equipped for a belt. This bag is to be cut to the size of your stoma. If his skin is broken out, red, raw, try a skin prep with no alcohol because with alcohol it burns like a bitch. Cavilon 3M no sting barrier film is a good one. I go online and go right to the Coloplast website. Ask for samples and they will send them to you. I wish you the best of luck. Let me know if I can help in any way.

'peaches'

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member

Sue;

Sorry, husband is having so much trouble...Your procedures seem to be wrong...First, the prescribed powder is probably: Nystatin...Fantastic!!!!
Next, the area needs to be dry before putting on "light" powdering...Do NOT wipe with anything.
Instead, use 3M's Caviklon Spray or Nexcare's No Sting Liquid Bandage...You can buy on Amazon.com.
Finally, let it dry for 30-40 seconds or use a hair dryer on low heat...THEN APPLY THE FLANGE. Cover it with your warm hand and/or use a hair dryer for 15 seconds...
Go about your life and enjoy. The rash will clear up in about 4 changes...

markndeb20
Hi, Sue. I was shaking my head while I read your note. The insurance is denying the ostomy products because of a pre-existing condition!?!?!?!? My guy (now 3 years old) was born without most of his intestine and has a permanent colostomy. We have been through 3 different insurance companies (husband's job changes insurance providers frequently) and -always- get coverage! For your insurance, please consider calling and asking for a case manager to help you get the coverage you should receive. Pre-existing condition... blech on them!!!!!!!!!! As for your rash trials... Tour Guide said it best! Here is what we do when our guy has irritation around his pooper..... (1) clean everything gently and let it dry (2) sprinkle a little stoma powder around the stoma on the irritated skin (just a thin powder layer).... (3) dab a moist skin barrier wipe over all the powder and let it dry! Wafers do not stick to the powder! (4) Apply your skin paste and/or your wafer... and your bag and a little heat from your hand (or a hand dryer). Do this each time you change the bag and his skin should be healed in a few changes. We have used Convatec, Hollister, and Coloplast products. If you contact these companies and tell them of your needs, they will send you samples of most everything! Also... have you considered Medicare? Because of our guy's medical needs, we receive Medicaid.... but it is a BEAR to get going... and keep it going! But... it is worth it for the coverage peace of mind. Best of luck to you!!!!!!!!! -Ryan's mommy
Past Member
I am so sorry for you and your husband. I know exactly what you are going through because I have the same condition from a ruptured colon from diverticulitis. I am currently still wide open with just a mesh and skin graft covering my abdomen while I wait for surgery to close me back up, and I am dealing with the same issues with little or no help on how to care for my stoma, so I have learned from trial and error. So far, you are getting some very good advice. I know that if your husband is a veteran, he can get medical treatment for his problem now. I had no insurance when I ruptured, and my friend drove me to the V.A. Hospital, and they took great care of me for the entire 4 months I was in the hospital. Perhaps you can supplement with Medicare/Medical as well. I am still having issues with the care of my stoma as well. I suggest that cleaning the area well and then drying with a hair dryer is good, and to apply the paste both around the base of the stoma and around the appliance base too, then allow the adhesive to set for a couple of minutes before putting the pouch on, provided you have a 2-piece appliance, and then cover the stoma with an antibacterial itch/pain ointment. I use a surgical waterproof tape cut into 4 strips that I add on top of the edges of the band-aid-like material as an additional way to secure it even more. I then attach the bag to the ring. Since doing it this way, I have found I have had a lot fewer accidents with the appliance coming away from the skin. Also, I recommend using the elastic belt too. Seeing how I still have to wear an abdominal binder to keep the hernia in place, I had to cut a slit in the binder to allow for the bag to be able to extrude from it. The binder added another layer of security for the appliance as the binder lays on top of the tape, preventing it from moving as well. If you do not need a binder, you can still use a narrow one with a slit cut into it like mine to help keep the bag in place as needed. I hope that this will help you in any way.
Past Member

Hi, I am just wondering why anyone isn't calling their ostomy nurse with skin questions??? I have called mine so many times in this last 6 years; also have had questions that she couldn't answer, so went to the dermatologist and found out that she knows about skin, but not about pouches, another problem.
And called the ostomy nurse again and she told me to do nothing.

So, I put NOTHING on my skin; just shower and clean it and slap that pouch on with the 4" Hollister Adapt Barrier. Also, after having talked to Coloplast whose pouch product I use, they didn't really know what I should do, so I decided on my own to fold over the top of my pouch so it wouldn't touch my skin, and VOILA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no more skin issues for a couple of years.....

This has been an ongoing process, but just do your homework kids, OK????

Linda

Past Member

To view stoma, use a 4.5-inch diameter concave mirror - drug store.
To change pouch, use shower soap and water - remove pouch -
Shower area, no soap.
Pat dry, tissue works well.
Apply Domeboro solution on cotton ball to pouch area.
Blow dry (cool) - apply pouch.
This will prevent and cure red rashes and folliculitis (puss heads).

Domeboro from drug store - make 20:1 solution.
Domeboro is recommended for rashes and folliculitis.

Past Member
Hi Sue,

I know just what you are going through. I had a bad rash for two weeks as a result of too many antibiotics to treat a super bug I had last month. Antibiotics kill the good bacteria as well as the bad and can cause a yeast infection. That's what mine was...a yeast infection.

I am so sorry you are being treated poorly by your insurance company. Bags can be costly if you are having a lot of adhering failures. Before Medicare, I paid for everything out of pocket, and bought from Best Buy Medical Supply. They're a bit cheaper than the other providers.

I was just at my Ostomy Physician's Assistant three days ago. My infection is almost healed due to "crusting". He says the best way to treat all skin infections is through "crusting". Now if your husband's infection is seriously oozing, your doctor may need to prescribe the right oral antibiotic in combination with skin treatment. My GI took one look at my infection and said, "Oh, I don't do skin problems. I'll have to refer you." I am only going to address how to get the bag to stay on for the longest period of time, because every time you pull that bag off, the new skin gets torn off and the area remains raw.

You clean and dry the area well with Ivory soap (nothing with oils or lanolin). Then lightly dust on Nystantin (it is expensive, $33.00 for a small bottle, so I hope your insurance company will pay for it), then dab your skin barrier over the Nystantin, and repeat this "layering" 3-4 times, ending with the skin barrier. Cut your stoma opening to the size of his stoma. At this stage in your husband's healing, his stoma is probably not very protuberant. If he still has a little bit of an "innie" or his stoma is kind of flush with his tummy, convex bags work best, because when he bends at the waist, they don't pull away, leaving tiny poo gaps.

Another Ostomate on this site told me to try very hard to keep the same flange or baseplate on for at least 4-5 days. A poorly fitting pouch is what causes infections to become long-term. Remeasure your husband's stoma regularly as his surgery is pretty recent and his stoma is still shrinking. Most hospitals have an ostomy nurse that you can talk to over the phone. They are very helpful when it comes to recommending appliances. They ask you a lot of questions like are your stools watery or firm, how much you weigh, etc. The one I spoke with gave me the three best products for my shape and stools from each company and their phone numbers. She told me to call them all and have them send me samples. I was flooded with different styles within 48 hours. I really liked Coloplast's Sensura 1 piece drainable with the convex baseplate in transparent so I could see what was going on. When I'm not infected and eating fiber (which your husband has to avoid for the first 6 weeks) I like Convatec's 411203 and 411204. They are simple and basic and easy to remove and apply. It was hard to keep the same baseplate on for more than two days. I change every 2-3 days, but when your skin is infected it has to have a chance to start healing and with too frequent changes, it re-tears. As long as no poop is getting beneath the flange/baseplate, the infected area remains safe.

Once you've "crusted" really well, warm the appliance with a hair dryer on low until it feels somewhat malleable. If you are using drainable bags, be careful not to heat the pouch itself. Then have your husband stand up, and "roll" your appliance on in an upward motion from the bottom up. If you put it on while lying down, when he stands up, it can leave tiny gaps in the seal. Then have him lay down and keep his hand over the pouch for at least 3 minutes. The heat from his hand really helps the glue adhere. Many people like the Eakin Cohesive Seals around their stoma before placing the appliance on. For whatever reason, they don't work for me. Just remember to do whatever you need to do to get the tightest seal possible.

I hope this has helped some. There are lots of products out there and the trick is finding the right one(s) for your husband's needs. And asking for help just like you did here. You have to be a bit eclectic and pull from everyone's recommendations until you get just the right combination for your husband. It will get better. Know that. For the first 4 months after my surgery, I was hung out to dry, too. The original ostomy nurse popped in for about 5 minutes once a week. I learned everything on my own until I joined an ostomy group that met at the hospital monthly. Lots of good hints from those guys. Lots of horror stories, too, so when I got the basics down, I stopped going. When you hear what could happen on an ongoing basis, it doesn't really help. Experiment until you find what works best for your husband. Sure it will take a little time. But you have each other and that's half the battle.
Past Member

I forgot to shower and electric shave. Flip out only add to Domeboro post. Never blow dry with any heat, cool only. Cymed pouch works great.

Past Member

I have to repeat what one of the replies said about contacting Hollister or Coloplast directly (they both have 1-800#--sorry, I'm Cdn. so don't know what your # would be). I'd try looking online first to see what you can find, that you might want to try, etc. before you phone.

They will send you various types of bags to try until you find the correct one for your stoma. And, as your stoma heals, it may change size and/or shape. I went through various bags until I found one that agreed with my body type (I tend to have very little length in my body between my stoma and crotch so most of the bags hung down too far for comfort. They do have one smaller version which I now wear. They will also give you a free belt, if you request one!!!!

They will also send you various powders, or other 'parts' as mentioned by others on this site. Ask for anything you can think of. You never know what you will end up with.

I wish I'd known about this site when I first had my surgery!!!!!!! I might've saved myself a lot of trouble trying various things.

ALSO -- do you not have free access to an ostomy nurse at your local hospital. (ETT nurse)

Good luck!!!

Lalu
Hi, Sue.

Like everyone else here, I'm so sorry about everything the two of you are going through. I used to think I was destined to never leave the house again and to wake up in major puddles of poo a few times a week, spending my days in a daze since I wasn't getting any sleep. It took a long time, but very slowly I got to the point where I can wear the same barrier a week or even a week and a half, just changing the pouch every few days. Please let your husband know that he may not think so now, but it will get better.

As you can see, everyone's got their own way of doing things, so you have lots of ideas to try out. Different people also have different areas in which we can help. I know very little about dealing with rashes under the barrier, except to take Benedryl, but since I had no insurance until recently and no money, out of necessity, my husband and I found products at better prices than you'll find at retail sellers.

Before I throw my own ideas into the ring, I'd like to tell you how much I appreciate how involved you are with this process; that you see it as something for the two of you to handle, not as your husband's problem. My husband was like you and I could never tell him enough how much I appreciated him and all he did for me, including going to support group meetings while I was still hospitalized. After being on this site a while, I've come to realize that he was the exception, as are you. You're a rare gem and after things calm down for you, and they will, take a little time to read some of the blogs, Forum posts and responses people have written. You'll be amazed to see how different you are from so many other spouses of ostomates - somebody's just got to come up with a better word than ostomate.

One place to get ostomy supplies for a (relatively) low cost is at Ostogroup. Their website is: http://www.ostogroup.org . They sell products only to people with no insurance, or people whose insurance doesn't cover ostomy products. I was originally told there's no charge for products, just shipping costs, but that's not the case. Supposedly, their prices are 15% of the retail price (sometimes it seems much lower, sometimes a little higher), plus they charge shipping and handling, which, when I've paid attention, I've seen is generally twice the actual cost of postage. When I first started looking on their site, I thought their prices were high, but that was before I learned how much the stuff costs retail. You or your husband may also want to check out eBay and Craigslist. We once got a bunch of stuff for free from someone in the area who had passed away and his family just wanted to see his stuff get used by someone who needed it. Using Ostogroup, eBay, and Craigslist should put you well on your way to getting what you need, although even among those three sites, you may have to substitute some items for your first choice. As a last resort, if you need to go retail, I found that Direct Buy Medical has the best retail prices by far. As I understand it, since they don't handle Medicare customers, they don't need to artificially inflate their prices to make up for their low revenue from Medicare. Their website address is: http://medical-supplies.net and their phone number is (800) 860-8612. Their phone calls get routed according to region and I always spoke with the same customer service rep. He's not only very friendly but knows the products, which gives him the ability to be extra helpful. As I just got Medicare, I unfortunately can't use that company anymore. There's a flat $8.95 for shipping, unless the order is at least $100.00, in which case, shipping's free.

I also left the hospital with little information, although it sounds like they at least gave us more of a shot than you got. One problem is it appears that they have a set of products they use for new ostomy patients, instead of tailoring the products to the patient and his or her specific set of circumstances. Instead of the paste, which is what we were given in the hospital, I started using barrier rings, which are so much easier to use and don't make a mess like the paste does. They're rings that come in a 2-inch and 4-inch size. I use the 2-inch rings and they can be manipulated by stretching or cutting, and it sticks to itself, so you can make it fit even an oddly shaped stoma. Hollister makes one under the name Adapt Barrier Rings and Convatec makes what they call Eakin Seals. By now, probably all the different companies make them. If your husband has an uneven surface, he can always use a little of the paste in any indentations.

Good luck sorting through all the information you've already been given and will continue to get on this site. People here are unbelievably helpful and there doesn't seem to be any topic that's off-limits. Best of luck to the two of you and congratulations to your husband for making what has to be one of the wisest choices of his life when he married you.

Lalu
sunnydisposition.

Hi Sue, make sure he uses a release spray with vitamin E. Also, can he get the stoma in the sun? Short spells only, a bit of sunlight does the world of good. Make sure he does not use harsh soaps, just warm water works for me. Good luck x

Lalu

Hi, Sunny D.

Could you give a little bit more information on two things you mentioned? What is a release spray with vitamin E? What does it do? And I'm especially curious about your suggestion to get that Wenis some sun. Are you talking about actually going outside bagless? What's the purpose of that? I've never heard anyone bring that up before and I'm really interested.

Thanks.

Lalu

angelafeatherstone

Hi, just a thought which might help. My skin was very sore and I had a rash. My stoma nurse checked for bugs and didn't find any. She told me to try taking antihistamines (hay fever tabs). It cleared up in no time.

DH

Hi, I can't help you with the rash issue but I can help you with the insurance issue. My health insurance won't cover ostomy supplies either. My husband found a supply place that has ostomy supplies for dirt cheap. It's called Osto Group. It's a place where people from all over the world donate supplies that they no longer use or need. They have pouches, flanges, accessories, and more. I bought a box of 30 pouches for only $15.00, normally they cost about $80.00. They don't always have the exact brands you're looking for. But it's worth checking out.
www.ostogroup.org I hope your husband's rash heals. That sounds miserable to deal with.
Good luck, Donna

theiko

As to stoma care problems. Please note the following information from experience.
1. Do not shave hair around stoma. Shaving creates an irritant and opens up skin to bacteria. Just keep pubic hair trimmed with a small clean cosmetic scissors.

2. Keep the stoma clean with a mixture of 50% vinegar and 50% water. Gently clean stoma area with this mixture with a soft gauze pad and dry with a hair dryer.

3. Hold hair dryer at least 12 inches away from stoma on medium heat.

Good luck.

Past Member

Could be an allergy to the adhesive, if you can, it would be worth trying another brand.

suefelli
Thank you everyone for all the comments and suggestions. I am overwhelmed and have to read through everything a few times to comprehend everything and decide how best to make some changes.

Our experience on the whole has been good, except for feeling like we are "outcasts" for not having insurance. I have never been without insurance before, ever, until this year and only for 5 months, so it figures we would have a major occurrence like this.

Just to answer some of the questions you have all asked:

My husband's surgeon is really good, though he is Indian and we have a hard time understanding him. The only issue is he has never one time looked at the stoma since the operation. EVER - not even on all the check-ups to look at the incision. So getting help or guidance from him is out of the question. Our primary doctor is hesitant to treat my hubby because it's not his field of expertise, so that avenue is out. As for the wound/ostomy nurse, she is great, when you can get her on the phone. That's who my hubby saw 2 weeks ago and she diagnosed him with the fungus and sent him on his way. So whether it's because we have no insurance, or no one knows how exactly to treat him, we are not getting much help.

I have called my insurance company and tried to get them to cover the products we are using. They answered emphatically NO and I was told it would be considered fraud if I even tried to get coverage. The only thing covered so far during this entire process was the prescription powder. Currently, on top of all the expenses from the products, I am having to go through charity care for all the medical bills which right now are close to 150k. Plus, we have the reversal surgery scheduled for Nov. 10th, which will also NOT be covered under insurance - that preexisting condition clause again. So another surgery and hospital stay is looming on our credit report in the near future.

I REALLY appreciate all the suggestions, and will be trying some of those solutions tonight and will let you all know. Right now if I had any money left over, I would buy stock in 3M since we are going through rolls and rolls of tape constantly.

I know there are people that are having worse experiences than my and my hubby, but sometimes it is so frustrating, all you want to do is cry. I am so glad I found this site and all of you have been so wonderful. I have been a "lurker" for a few months now, but am so appreciative for the support. I will let you all know how we make out!!

Thank you soooo much

Sue
suefelli

Wow - I just read this and it is the direct opposite of what our wound/ostomy nurse said. She told me the fungus was caused because I did not shave around the stoma. From not shaving, bacteria was caught in the follicles and caused the fungus. I am supposed to shave up to and around the stoma every time we change the bag. And let me add how nerve-wracking it is to have to shave so close to the stoma. I have a nervous breakdown every time.

I wonder why she would tell me to shave? See why I am so confused.......

mettajojo
Hi Sue,
I'm sorry to hear you've been through a lot. I cannot suggest anything more than what had been said, however your husband could also try 'LaVera' Barrier Cream (order code: 3301) which may help the skin rash. Apply the cream after shower or clean the stoma but before putting a new flange. Apply the cream on the skin around the stoma, leave it for 10-30 minutes, then wipe off the remaining using a dry wipe/towel.
Good luck and all the best,
Jo
Past Member

When you shave - use an electric (battery) razor only - use the flip-out trimmer only - very light pressure if any. It is not necessary to have a close shave, which will only irritate the skin. In the shower is best - water tends to lubricate the skin. Shaving close to the stoma is easy. Application of Domeboro after drying is a sound practice as far as I know and is simple and effective. All these lotions and stuff they sell are costly and not needed. Never use any heated blow dryer - not needed - this can cause rashes.

hometown

Hello, after reading your post I wanted to add that I also have had major problems and I have had my colostomy for 2 years. I had surgery in Florida, and as soon as I could travel, I came back up north to receive my chemo. I have had two surgeries on the area around the stoma, one for granuloma which caused me such pain I couldn't stand it anymore. Well, 8 months later another area was raw and bleeding, so another operation to remove the skin around the stoma that is causing so much pain. Well, I am still bleeding with lots of pain and have finally been sent to an ET nurse for help. These stoma problems can go on and on, especially if you tend to grow granulomas. I struggle with this all the time and my bag hangs 6 inches down my leg, so you can imagine how horrible this is for me. Well, just wanted to let everyone know others have problems with rashes and growths and you just have to be lucky to get the right help.

suefelli

I just want to thank everyone so much!!! The rash is gone. I tried a lot of the suggestions everyone gave me, so I am not sure which actually did the trick, but when we changed the flange yesterday, the rash was gone. What a relief. I do know that putting the powder, blotting with the skin prep and repeating that once again created that barrier before the flange went on and prevented the rash from oozing and letting the flange detach, which has been our biggest problem. We even managed to go camping again this past weekend in our RV with our camping group and all went well with the flange and stoma. No issues at all, and we got the full 4 days of camping without having to change the flange or use tape. It was stuck good!!! Now we hope that the rash is gone for good and we begin our countdown to the reversal on Nov. 10th.

Thank you again to everyone, it helped us both out so much, and I didn't feel so lost trying to handle this.

Sue

jakie

First of all, insurances cannot deny preexisting problems anymore. Second, wash and clean around the area well, dry it, apply the antibiotic powder, then the stoma powder and spray. Apply a ring around the pouch opening, press it down well, leaving more of it showing through the hole where the most damage is. Apply your appliance and keep your hand on it to warm the adhesive. When the adhesive is adhered, then meticulously remove the tape starting at the bottom, smoothing it out as you go. There is 3M cloth tape you can get that you can tear off and place around the pouch, hopefully preventing leakage. I hope this works for you. It helped me.

NJ1215

Hi Jakie,

I live in NJ and I attend a support group at Overlook Hospital in Summit, NJ. The next meeting is on May 8th from 2-3 p.m. in the Medical Arts II Building. The contact person is Stephanie D'Andrea, RN. The telephone number is: 908-522-5900. This group meets every other month. Hopefully, you will be able to make one of these meetings with your husband.
It is very informational and the support is noted.

I usually use Adapt Stoma Powder for a rash. You put it around the stoma and then wipe off excess powder. Do not put on Stoma!!!! It works very nicely when I see a rash (blood vessels) and it goes away very quickly. The product is by Hollister.

Hopefully, this information will help you.

Sincerely,

Catherine

jakie

I live in Illinois. I have a support group here but none of their problems seem to apply to me. Also, I didn't know that you should not put powder on the stoma. Thanks for the info. Lately, I have been having some bleeding. I need to check with someone about that. I thought I was getting a blockage also, but it seems to have slowly cleared up. I try to be very careful about what I eat and how much. My opening is in the lower right corner, so I cut out a little groove in the pouch. Maybe that is causing irritation and causing the bleeding. Thank you for getting back to me.

mettajojo

Try the stoma care product (LaVera - Barrier Cream), it contains lavender and aloe vera for your skin rash after shower, and leave it for 10 to 20 minutes then wipe out with dry wipes before applying your flange/pouch.

Powder is supposed to be put at the edge (between stoma and flange) not on the stoma.

I can eat almost everything now, however, you need to start with a small amount and gradually build up (re-train your stoma tolerance) to a normal portion.

Hope it helps.