Alternative solutions for adhesive removal?

Replies
Views
Past Member

Thank you merryberry

It's interesting about the baby wipes one, I'll shall try. I don't have very good skin over the years, it's wear and tear, so sensitive to products and tape, so I'm careful what I try. Thanks again for your input. Tc ambies...........

Bill
Hello Ambies. JUst recently I've been having problems getting rid of the adhesive that sticks to my skin away from the stoma area. It doesn't seem to want to come off with 'removers'. wipes or other stuff that I've tried. Today I resorted to shaving it along with the tummy hair and that seemed to work okay.

Best wishes

Bill
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,436 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

mooza

Hey Vodka, why not try a remover wipe like Convacare or something from your chemist!!!

iMacG5
Hi C&G.  Please give me your doctor's contact information in case I need to clean a humidifier or sump pump or get varnish off something.

Just kidding,

Mike
bmeup

Hi Ambies. Here in the states we have Sally Beauty Supply and it's there that I have purchased wax remover in the waxing and hair removal section. You might find it on Amazon if you can't find a similar product there. It's called Suddenly Smooth Wax Residue Remover and it works great. Just make sure you wash it all off in the shower because any left on the skin can affect the adhesiveness of your appliance. You want something natural and the primary ingredients are soybean oil, sunflower seed oil, almond oil, and wheat germ oil. I use it when I feel my skin around the stoma getting a little tender. Good luck!

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Past Member

Hi bmeup, thanks for the tip. I certainly will look that one up. Thank you for sharing your tips. Take care, ambies.

britathrt60

Hi Ambies. I use rubbing alcohol....just soak a cotton makeup pad and rub away....it feels great and dries very quickly. I also use it around and on my stoma. Hope this helps.

kdlavoie

We have used olive oil for my daughter's wafers/tape/wings... It is great to use at home, but we packed the spray remover for our emergency kit if we're away from home.

dls

Hand sanitizer. Depending upon the brand, it can be anywhere from 50-80% alcohol. I cannot use alcohol on my Irish sensitive skin. The higher the alcohol content, the more it may sting a bit, but when I have trouble removing adhesive, I smear hand sanitizer all around the wafer and slowly pull my skin in and my wafer away from my body. This works so well that when I did this in front of my home health nurses, they started telling other ostomates about it. It's a cheap and readily available fix if you run out of adhesive remover. For those of you that have a Bath and Body Works store near you, they make mini hand sanitizers in all sorts of wonderful scents—they also have the lowest alcohol content of any I have found thus far. They work better than many of the cheaper brands, I don't know why. I always carry one with me, should I ever have to change my appliance anyplace but home, I know this will work, plus it smells wonderful so you'll offend no one. Try it.

Okletsdothis

I have a lot of boxes of adhesive remover

Past Member

Everyone says not to use alcohol. I use 70% alcohol and my skin is as fresh as six years ago. I carry a little bottle with alcohol, you can buy those empty little bottles at Target for a buck and fill it with alcohol for cases of emergency. Just dab a bit on a paper towel, voila, it all comes off. Now, the hand sanitizer advice sounds better if you are not used to alcohol. I've read some are very sensitive to it.

spyder

Orange oil is a pretty good solvent

spyder

Need to try that

AMrfd

Never had a problem removing my wafer off of my skin. Usually it starts to fall off itself or the crease in my stomach is. I simply pull it off, clean it with hand sanitizer, then put on some skin prep if I have it and away I go.

Mrs.A

Witch Hazel is good as well and seems to be more gentle on the skin.

PETey.13

I've read you can use oil of orange. It would have to be from a navel orange with a thick peel.

JamesArnod
Reply to Bill

I also found that slowly taking it off was worse than just ripping it off after I loosened the tape around the edges. I have been doing that for about three years now.....it works.

iMacG5

After spraying the perimeter with an adhesive remover (Convatec Sensi-Care Releaser spray) and just starting to peel the wafer off, I PUSH the skin into my body rather than PULLING the wafer away and stretching the skin while separating.  I might only do half at a time before needing more spray.  Not stretchinmg the skin has made a big difference.

Mike

Redondo

I have been using Nu Hope Adhesive Remover for almost 50 years. It works great and doesn't sting. However, it does have a high chemical odor to it. I use double-sided adhesive discs, so I need to get a lot of tape off my skin. I get it through Edgepark, and I'm on Medicare. Edgepark can only order it in a 16 oz bottle, although it comes in smaller sizes. Medicare considers 16 oz as a 90-day supply, so I can only order it every 3 months, and it was quite a task to get Edgepark and Medicare to even get online to do that. It is covered now under Medicare.