Betrayed and Heartbroken: Husband's Infidelity Leads to Divorce

Replies
Views
Immarsh

This news must have been a shock for you, but don't make rash decisions until you know what you want to do.

My ex also had an ostomy (that's how we met), so we should have been somewhat compatible, but we weren't. He got angry when I did things out of the house and became mean and abusive when I went back to school for my college degree. When I started to gain weight (both my kids were ill and my mother was dying of cancer), he became nasty and more verbally abusive about that. I was so upset and hurt because I really loved him "warts" (and there were plenty) and all. I was married 24 1/2 years when I finally filed for divorce. I was glad to be out of the "mess," and then he married my first cousin. I'm still sad about the past, but I've made a new life for myself, and you will too. Find other single people and focus on enjoying the present and look forward to a new beginning in the future.

Best of luck

Marsha

~traci~

I'm so sorry, first of all, that you had to find out like that... We were cowards for not telling you he was unhappy! He's probably going to call you because he's embarrassed, ashamed, and guilty! There are many reasons why people give up on their marriage, and I think that when one person is sick, it puts a lot of strain on a marriage! Not to mention the emotional turmoil we go through as patients... depressed, emotional, sad, trying to live your life, follow dreams, get back to a different life after surgery! Some of us lose our way, and all we're looking for is someone to keep us safe! Someone to love and support us! When that fails in a marriage, it's heart-wrenching! I've loved and lost many times because of this disease! So now I'm taking care of myself first! Trying to feel my way through life with the help of a therapist and a psychologist! I'm planning to take my life back! It won't be easy, but nothing ever worth doing is! Good luck, my dear!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,463 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

leah

Thank you everyone,
and thank you Traci. You hit the nail on the head.
Yes, I feel I've lost my way in life. I was skipping along quite happily, then BANG,
it was like a punch in the face.
I've got to be honest and say I'm not coping very well at the moment. I seem to be going downhill.
I will get myself sorted out. It's just hard to smile when you're so upset.
I'm working every hour and my house is spotless. Can't stop cleaning.

Past Member

Hi, try to hang in there, Leha. We are all here to support you through your hard times. Things will get better, even if it might not seem like it right now. But I'm feeling for you and your hurt. My sister's partner just walked out on her after 20 years, 5 weeks ago. She is grieving very badly, but she is trying to pick up her life again. So, I understand what you're going through. I'm supporting my sister through her heartbreak. Take care, Ambies. x

girlygirl

You poor lady! As if you haven't been through enough already. He's not worth it! And I wonder what he would have been like if it was him in your shoes. I'm on my own, but I'm widowed and to be honest, I just like to chat to people on here. But you're young enough to start again, this time with a very kind, understanding guy. xx Take care, x

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
bmeup
Hi Leah,

I am just now catching up with everyone and wanted to let you know that with the holidays approaching, I am thinking of my fellow ostomates and the tough stuff we go through. You are on my mind, and I am hoping you are coming along and feeling better. Make sure to spend lots of time with the people who really love you and want your company. Take all the hugs you can get and let people know what you really want when they ask about your wish list. Better yet, go to Amazon and build one you can share. The people who love you will want to show you their love even more. Don't be afraid to accept it. Do not spend a second with the creep who lied to you so miserably. Sounds like Easttexasrn has some good advice! Stay strong and smile, it really does help.

Big hugs,
Tamarah
leah

Hi everyone, I don't think I can thank you all enough for your help and support, so thank you very, very much.
It's been 2 months now since DH left and I'm feeling good at the moment.
I've got to say, I quite like living on my own now (never thought I'd say that).
I've had my hair done, my nails done, and even my eyelashes done, and I'm feeling pretty good about myself (apart from my stoma), but hey, a girl can't have everything.

My husband has and is regretting what's happened. Twice he's asked if we could start again, but I stayed strong and refused.

I'm going to be fifty next month and I intend to celebrate and have a good time.
Life begins at 50, not 40.

And you're right, take positive comments, hugs, and love from your nearest and dearest. My 4 children have been wonderful.
But thank you most of all to you lovely people on here.
You know how it feels physically and mentally to go through what we have, so your comments and words of support have meant a great deal to me.
Big ((((((hugs)))))) to you all, Leah, x

girlygirl

So pleased for you Leah, I've been on my own for 20 years since my husband died, and I'm actually glad I stayed single! I've had my stoma for 2 years now and I just can't be bothered explaining the ins and outs of my operation, and a lot of people would run a mile when they find out what's wrong. I have a lot of friends so I'm never lonely, so you go have a good time girl. xx

WOUNDED DOE

Honey, you are better off without him.... I know and understand the pain.... but he is not worthy of you if he abandons you when you need him most..... I hope you can find a way, in time, to allow the pain and sadness to pass xoxooo .... Do not let your life and happiness be determined by him being at your side or not, you will find happiness and be better off without him....... I cannot even imagine abandoning someone I love, especially in times like this. If anything, I would think having a life-threatening medical problem or a life-changing operation would bring me closer to the one I love........... xoxoxo....... Good luck and try to stay strong......

~Doe

(...and my apologies to everyone, I am no longer a paid member so I am limited with how I can communicate) xoxoo

VistaCove

Look at it this way, he helped you get rid of one bag, a "douchebag"

caweekley
I'm so sorry to hear of your husband and him being such a jerk. Never blame yourself or your stoma on what he has done. You are not a stoma, you are the same lovely person you were before your problems and getting a stoma. If he can do that to you, you are lucky to get rid of him. He will have to answer for his actions one day to a power bigger than any of us. May God grant mercy on his soul because I'm not sure any of us feel one bit of mercy for his stupidity.

I'm sure you are hurting, but never question that all things happen for a reason and you will get over this and be a stronger person after you get over the hurt. He has a very short memory if you stood by him and nursed him through cancer. That tells me he is a user and never really loved you. There is no way if he loved and cared for you that he would just check out of the marriage without even talking or trying. The grass is never greener on the other side as it may appear. And I am a true believer that what comes around goes around. He thinks this little girl has all the answers, but if she will have an affair with a married man, there is very little morals, and if the going gets tough, she may be the one out seeking a new relationship without his knowledge either.

The path to hell is paved with people and actions such as theirs. God says pray for our enemies. I don't wish him any ills, but I do trust that God will give him his share of grief. Life is very complicated, but if he calls himself a man, he would never have treated you this way. It is a shame that he had enough nerve to use you for this many years and try to throw you away like yesterday's garbage. You are not garbage, and a stoma does not make a person. So let him pack up his crap and move along. You will be stronger and better off without him. Thankfully, you were creative enough to start a business that could support the two of you. You still have that, and if you are no longer supporting him, you can focus on being the best you that you can possibly be. Sure, it will hurt and you will cry, but in the end, you will see who is crying and begging to come back. When that happens, just like the kids in the DARE program, JUST SAY No!

You are in my thoughts and prayers for strength and wisdom to accept this as not the end but a new beginning. A path for you to find someone that will shower you with love and acceptance that you deserve. Don't look backwards and blame yourself. Look forward to each new day and live just for today! You will not be the one with regrets.

Take care and know you are not alone. This group of people is a wonderful support group that will help get you through this. I'm so glad you felt strong enough to reach out and share rather than trying to do it alone. We may not have the answers, but everyone will do their part to show you it is not your fault, your stoma's fault, etc. We all have them, and it doesn't give our spouses a right to lie, cheat, and steal or whatever to us because we are different. How would he feel if he suddenly found out he had to have a stoma? I'm sure he would get a new understanding of what we go through. A stoma is a real adjustment regardless of how or why we have them, but it is just like any other health issue we face. You do the best you can and go forward. You may have a stoma, but your husband is an ASS! Excuse my words, but there is no other way around it.

Kiss him goodbye and wish him well and let that door close. Open up the next chapter in your book of life and move forward. Don't let him guilt you or blame you for his infidelity. He made his choices, now let him live with it.

Good luck! Feel free to contact me if you need to talk.
Dalai Momma
Dear Leah, I am so sorry to hear what has happened to you and of the actions of your husband. I am here on this site infrequently, only checking in once in a while now, hoping myself to gain some mystical grain of insight that becomes the key that fits the lock. I too have so many questions about why me, why now, why him, why my relationship had to be shattered.

For me, I am not the one who had to bear such a hideous disease or become the recipient of an ileostomy. It was my boyfriend/husband and ultimately a fading away shell of a man. It has been nearly 3 years now since the event hit us like a plague and I feel that we are drowning slowly. I am watching him self-destruct and I want to scream and throw a tantrum with a level 10 magnitude that life does not have to be so hard.

I especially empathize with your pain in seeing a person through something as horrible as what you have been through yourself, and you through your husband's throat cancer. I realized the moment the surgeon told us of his inability to repair the failed surgery that I had to make the decision right then and there, whether I would leave or stay. I also realized that my choice be a truthful and righteous one as he had a young child that I quickly became in charge of mothering and caring for during the very long season of surgeries and complications that followed. In a nutshell, I chose to stay and have never once thought of leaving because he has to use a bag. I fell in love with him before the surgery and that was that.

What I do know, however, is that his emotions, self-identity, self-esteem, thoughts, and fears are so complicated, complex, and forever changing that I at times feel exhausted and confused to the center of my own core. I imagine being a woman in this situation could be even worse as being a woman in general, getting older, and dealing with children leaving home makes me feel at times insane.

Please don't get me wrong. I am in no way saying it is your fault that your husband chose to take the path that he is on. People are much more complex and complicated, relationships are the same. He may have done this before, following his or your surgery. But there is something I do hope for you. If I could give you any gift at all, it would be time to contemplate all the parts and fears that you are faced with, without hysteria. Your life does not have to be over and your identity and worth can be strong. I have regretfully read several people's blogs about being unable to find new loves since their surgeries, which seems to reinforce that there is little hope for normality or fulfillment. Perhaps there may be a trend for many people to choose not to engage in relationships out of fear or ignorance regarding ileostomies, colostomies, or such. But also, I realize that there may be a tendency for people who have ileostomies/colostomies to assume that they cannot possibly be loved.

I can forthrightly tell everyone that this is not true because I love my guy, and it is he who pushes me away. Love is funny and at times tricky. A woman like you does not come around often. So collect yourself up and put your fragile pieces together, dear Leah. You are only on this planet for a blink of an eye. Let your light and life shine as brilliantly as the stars above. You survived and you are here with purpose. Sincerely, from a friend.
true_jes
Reply to leah

My ex-husband was a scumbag too, and it is a total mind screw. My ex cheated on me with a total hag, but I feel for you. I have said so many times I am glad I was already divorced when I got sick because that coward would have walked away anyway. I am so desperately sorry that this has happened. It does get better, but it takes a lot of time. I can say a million things that are trite - please take care of yourself. I'd light his stuff on fire personally. You deserve better.

gisele76
Reply to leah

Chin up. You can do this. Do not blame yourself for your husband cheating. Move forward and get on with your best life.

Homie With A Stomie NS

Hun, he definitely doesn't deserve you and karma is a bitch.... You assume it's since your operation, but it was there before.... Don't let the door hit him where the great lord split him.... He needed an excuse and used you for it.... Head high, get pissed, mad, and smile on. You got this.

Homie With A Stomie NS
Reply to Yukon steve

Yes, our hero.... Thank you.

Homie With A Stomie NS
Reply to leah